Firebox Build

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Kraz

Firebox Build

Post by Kraz » June 3rd, 2021, 8:26 pm

Hey yall,
I'm building a firebox for my smoker and I was wondering if I could have your help on the welding side of things. I'm using 17"x 17" 1/8 inch mild steel panels and have everything tacked up but the top and bottom panels. I am using a Hobart 140 MIG welder with flux core. what would be the best way to weld this box together in order to get the least amount of warpage? should I weld the sides together using clamps and set squares as shown in the picture and then weld the top panels on or should I tack the top and bottom on and weld the whole thing together?

here is a picture so far.
https://imgur.com/gallery/hO9jEKA

I was planning on welding one side with the set squares on ( i have another one of the big squares to put on the bottom), letting it cool, and then put the set squares on the other side and weld the other side.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Firebox Build

Post by Big T » June 3rd, 2021, 9:46 pm

Clamps and squares work great to keep everything squared up but they do very little to stop it from warping. The best way to weld it is using very short stich welds and letting it cool off completely before you make your next welds. It takes a long time to do it this way but it's the only option that you have when working with thin material. If you're asking about the best way to keep the box all squared up, it would be to tack together as many panels as possible before you start welding everything up.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

breavis
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by breavis » June 4th, 2021, 9:02 am

Get 2 pieces of angle iron and lay one piece flat. Stand one piece up and check it with a level and a square and put a few tacks every few inches. Check for level and square the do the other piece the same and repeat for the rest of the pieces. Do not weld it down until you are satisfied with how the pieces fit.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » June 4th, 2021, 10:17 am

Big T wrote:
June 3rd, 2021, 9:46 pm
Clamps and squares work great to keep everything squared up but they do very little to stop it from warping. The best way to weld it is using very short stich welds and letting it cool off completely before you make your next welds. It takes a long time to do it this way but it's the only option that you have when working with thin material. If you're asking about the best way to keep the box all squared up, it would be to tack together as many panels as possible before you start welding everything up.
:yth:
Sucks to cut things apart and redo. Been there. Take your time. Jump from panel to panel as you go to spread the stress out.

Kraz

Post by Kraz » June 4th, 2021, 2:42 pm

ok, that sounds great. Just finished tacking on the top and bottom panels and am ready to go.
thanks for the advice!