Question for cutting steel plate

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
CWCW
beginner
beginner

Question for cutting steel plate

Post by CWCW » March 22nd, 2012, 10:55 am

I will be buying a 4'x8' piece of steel plate to make my smoke chamber ends and my fire box out of at some point in the future. I have never needed to cut any steel like this before so i have never needed a metal cutting saw like i have seen in alot of these posts. Im not going to spend $200+ on a saw that will only get used for this one project and im certainly not goin to purchase a plasma cutter. I have read about how cutting metal with a regular 7 1/4 circular saw could mess up the saw because it doesnt have the protection from metal chips flying into the motor housing. Is there any other way to cut this steel plate with nice precision? I do have a torch but that would end up being alot of grinding to smooth the edges. I dont have a air compresser to run a cut off saw either.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: Question for cutting steel plate

Post by The Czar » March 22nd, 2012, 11:44 am

I think either have the pieces pre cut by the supplier or pay somebody....but it seems to me that I'm the end you would pay more for those routes rather than just buying a metal cutting saw....

CWCW
beginner
beginner

Post by CWCW » March 22nd, 2012, 4:24 pm

dcman wrote:I think either have the pieces pre cut by the supplier or pay somebody....but it seems to me that I'm the end you would pay more for those routes rather than just buying a metal cutting saw....
Yeah dcman, i see your point. I also looked up plasma cutter rentals. Looks like it is around $70 in my area to rent a plasma cutter for a day. If i get all my measurements figured out i could just rent one of those for a day to get it done. Buying the saw would add an extra cool tool to my collection but i just dont see myself using it much after the smoker build, plus the cuts i would have to do for the ends of the smoker chamber would be round circular cuts and i cant do that with the metal cutting circular saw.

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Member

Post by Blazer » March 22nd, 2012, 6:06 pm

I would go with the torch being that you already have one. A good clean tip and some rust free steel makes for a good cut, but don't get me wrong I would love to have one of those saw's. ;)

CWCW
beginner
beginner

Post by CWCW » March 23rd, 2012, 7:54 am

Blazer wrote:I would go with the torch being that you already have one. A good clean tip and some rust free steel makes for a good cut, but don't get me wrong I would love to have one of those saw's. ;)
Thats also something im not really educated about. I have just been using the tip that came with my torch. I know that they have different size tips but i dont understand what the difference is when cutting. Does a tip with smaller holes mean a more precise cut? What is the benefit of a tip with bigger holes?

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » March 23rd, 2012, 9:32 pm

More or less, yes. To your question about tip size.
Its more gauged to the thickness you are cutting. We all cut stuff thats way thinner then what the tips rated for. If u drop down to a tip thats just barley big enough and keep everything steady and smooth then you should come out with a pretty decent cut. It takes a steady hand or a good guide. The tip i run most of the time can cut up to two inchs thick. So i dont get those omg clean cuts.

The straights, i would use a cut off wheel in a cheep grinder. And the torch for the curves.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

CWCW
beginner
beginner

Post by CWCW » March 26th, 2012, 4:50 pm

Smoker Tom wrote:More or less, yes. To your question about tip size.
Its more gauged to the thickness you are cutting. We all cut stuff thats way thinner then what the tips rated for. If u drop down to a tip thats just barley big enough and keep everything steady and smooth then you should come out with a pretty decent cut. It takes a steady hand or a good guide. The tip i run most of the time can cut up to two inchs thick. So i dont get those omg clean cuts.

The straights, i would use a cut off wheel in a cheep grinder. And the torch for the curves.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Ok, is there a chart somewhere that will show me what tip # for what thickness of metal im cutting? I might just do the straights with a cut off wheel like you said. I have a cheep grinder from harbor freight for $25 that i can use. That thing sure was cheep but it has lasted me through more work that i would figure a $25 grinder would do, haha.

RDRASH
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Master Mechanic
BBQ Comp Team Name: Red Beard BBQ

Post by RDRASH » March 26th, 2012, 5:49 pm

I have cut 1/4 with a 7 1/4 circular saw it does work. BUT you will burn up a cheap saw been there done that. Only sucess I had was with a worm drive saw works ok, if you use abrasive wheels will only get about 48" of cut per blade they go quick. :headwall:

Everything Is 4 Sale

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » March 26th, 2012, 6:35 pm

RDRASH wrote:I have cut 1/4 with a 7 1/4 circular saw it does work. BUT you will burn up a cheap saw been there done that. Only sucess I had was with a worm drive saw works ok, if you use abrasive wheels will only get about 48" of cut per blade they go quick. :headwall:
Holy Crap you got balls of steel......I have seen cutting wheels fly apart on 1/4" steel....me....I would just buy the metal saw and use it and then sell it.....I like all my eyes and finger and such when I am done with a job.... :beer:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » March 26th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Come on now DC, 1 little disc comes apart and whizzes by you, and you get all safe on us. :P I mean after all it missed you! :D

All BS aside, you could make your cuts with the grinder, just be sure, you keep all the safety guards in place, along with full personal protection. As DC said though I would prefer the metal cutting saw.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

maccas66
Expert
Expert
Title: Aussourian Plumber
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by maccas66 » March 26th, 2012, 8:50 pm

I`m with S1 on this!, but a 9" grinder and run it along the cut gradualy getting deeper not try and cut it like a wood saw does!, dc had a good idea also!, but I forgot what it was ! :-B

" I`m so hungry, I`m farting fresh air!"

RDRASH
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Master Mechanic
BBQ Comp Team Name: Red Beard BBQ

Post by RDRASH » March 26th, 2012, 10:34 pm

Yeah never said it was a good idea but live and learn. :yth:

Everything Is 4 Sale

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » March 27th, 2012, 7:10 am

maccas66 wrote:I`m with S1 on this!, but a 9" grinder and run it along the cut gradualy getting deeper not try and cut it like a wood saw does!, dc had a good idea also!, but I forgot what it was ! :-B
Probably let somebody else do it.... :huh: ..... :homer:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Tommy Joe
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Tommy Joe » March 27th, 2012, 11:17 am

If you have a torch you should use it. If your cut is a little off use a grinder to get on line, just cut on the outside of the line and bring it in with the grinder. As for the size of tip, the size determines the thickness of metal you can cut and the size of kerf you get. I like to use a #0 tip on anything up to 1/2 in. And another thing I do is my oxy. is set around 24 to 30 and acet. is around 5 to 7 for 1/4 in metal, and keep the tip clean. Like dcman said a cut off wheel is very dangerous, and can cause very serious injury even death. Don't get me wrong I own 2 Matabo's and use them all the time but be careful and watch what you are doing. Also as S1 said USE THE PROPER PPE ( personal protection equiptment). Eye (full face shield) gloves and a heavy shirt or better yet a leather welding jacket, and keep all guards on tha grinder in place.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » March 28th, 2012, 8:24 am

TommyJoe is spot on. and like blazer said No problems at all with using a torch. the one thing you will hear us gripe about when using a torch is the doors on the smoker may warp a bit when you are cutting them.... but that being said, the doors are going to warp anyway most likely, sooooo use what you have. The builds I enjoy seeing progress the most are the ones that are built on the cheap. being resourcful and using the stuff you have laying around. :kewl:

DocMorgan
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
Title: known associate...
BBQ Comp Team Name: Good Swine Almighty!

Post by DocMorgan » March 29th, 2012, 4:33 pm

Actually, I might have something to contribute to this.

Taking classes for welding at the local Vo-Tech HS right now and we are currently cutting things up using oxyacetylene. This is what I have taken away regarding tips and cutting.

#1. for a nice "butter cut" you want a clean tip. I have seen the difference a clean tip makes, and you want a clean tip.
#2. use a "cooler" flame. Hotter flames leave more slag. Slag sucks unless you have an affinity for grinding and nasty looking cuts.
#3. use a constant speed for your cuts.
#4. use the right tip for the right job.

000 will cut to 1/4"
00 will cut to 1/2"
0 will cut to 3/4"
1 will cut 1"

If you are using anything heavier for your smoker... talk to someone else. I know a #8 tip will cut up to 24" steel.

- Doc

If I made any typo's, blame it on the mobile device.

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » June 17th, 2012, 8:52 am

As DocMorgan posted a clean tip with the proper regulator settings is all you need. I use my torch for all my long and intermediate cuts. Get comfortable and use a rest so your hand stays cool. Let the torch glide along rather than try to make short ark movements before long your cuts will end up like a track machine did the work. :)