mesquite lump charcoal

Discussion about Charcoal and Lump Charcoal for smoking meat
WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

mesquite lump charcoal

Post by WyomingLawDog » April 10th, 2015, 4:35 pm

Ok, it is hard to find lump charcoal around me but found some at Sam's Club that is mesquite lump charcoal. Is this going to be a problem for smoking brisket or pork? I know mesquite is a very strong smoke that can overpower the meat taste. I am smoking a brisket this weekend and did one a couple weeks back with Kingsford briquettes and a combination of hickory and pecan wood chunks which turned out great. Everything I read says lump charcoal is way better then briquettes for smoking, I just don't know how much smoke will be left in this mesquite lump charcoal as I don't want to over power this brisket. So I bought a bag of it but still have charcoal briquettes, will the mesquite lump charcoal still be too powerful to cook with? Anyone used this type of lump charcoal before? So I am trying to decide if I should give it a try or not or use some of this lump with briquette charcoal and some hickory/pecan wood chunks. Thanks for any input.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: mesquite lump charcoal

Post by Rodcrafter » April 10th, 2015, 4:56 pm

I lived in Texas while growing up and that mesquite wood was all I used cause it was everywhere. On brisket lump mesquite, will be great, even some wood. I never used lump mesquite on pork, but the wood is a bit strong, but I bet the lump won't be.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » April 10th, 2015, 8:34 pm

It will work find as long as you like the flavor of mesquite. I personally find it to be a flavor I don't enjoy. All you can do is give it a try.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » April 10th, 2015, 9:18 pm

If you have a Walmart nearby, since it's the same company, they usually have the same lump in smaller bags and the also have one or two others. Locally here, I go in there in the fall and buy up a bunch of clearance lump usually Cowboy and occasionally Royal Oak...cheap too! If that helps

Additionally, I've tried all briquettes as well as all lump in the gravity feed. Sometimes mixed with Apple, oak, or peach pieces of wood that the log splitter breaks off. About as much as 2-3 grape fruits during a 6 hour burn mixed into a 10 lb bag . Very solid smoke flavor in fact, hard to tell the difference between the rf and gf

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » April 10th, 2015, 10:34 pm

As long as you like mesquite the brisket will be fine. I love mesquite w/ beef.
I'm not sure with pork.

Just a thgt- While smoking the brisket throw some pork chops on there and smoke em...be a chip test.
I've used that same mesquite lump in my egg. As far as quality wise it's not the best but that's a matter of opinion. All the bags I've bought have had from limbs to fines size lump. I prefer B&B and Royal Oak brands. B&B is carried by Academy here in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » April 10th, 2015, 10:36 pm

Let us know how it turns out. Remember no pics it didn't happen!

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » April 10th, 2015, 10:47 pm

You can order direct from B&B.
http://bbcharcoal.com/

I ran across B&B several years ago. Went fishing with my brother in law below Houston a few yrs later. We were sitting around with the guy that owns a camp beside my brother law visiting. I noticed Mr Frank was wearing a hat that said B&B Charcoal. I asked him if he used their charcoal? He said I better, we make it. He's semi-retired now. His two sons run the two kilns. One in Texas and they opened one up in Argentina. The EPA and air emission reqs are kill these type of businesses.
Sorry got off the subject. Dang I'm getting bad abt that. Good thing is when my brother in law comes to visit or we go down there I normally get a free bag! I'm still waiting on my cap!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 10th, 2015, 11:06 pm

I think it'll be ok with beef but not with the pork as stated above. When I got my first smoker I bought a huge bag of Mesquite and I cooked everything with it but I was the only one that liked any of it. I finally started using oak and pecan and everybody was telling me how good it was so I still have most of that mesquite out in my barn and that was 15 years ago.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by SmokinFF » April 11th, 2015, 7:27 pm

I only use mesquite for beef and chicken. I use all other woods on pork. I tried mesquite on a pork loin once and the flavors just didn't jive.