First Build with Diesel tanks

Topics on safety. Always ask questions and fully understand all safety procedures and precautions required for your project.
sfarbic
beginner
beginner

First Build with Diesel tanks

Post by sfarbic » August 2nd, 2022, 9:43 am

I am building my first smoker with a couple of old diesel tanks. There is no liquid left in any of them. They have been opened to air for a couple of years with all valves and gauges disconnected. I kind of understand the protocol for dealing with propane tanks, but I am not sure if diesel tanks would warrant the same procedures. Is it is necessary to fill the tanks with water before I cut them? I would prefer not to as it will be quite messy and I don't really have a great spot to dump that much water on my property. Is there a less messy alternative to water like dry ice (CO2)? After I cut them open I plan on burning some fires in them to clean out the remaining fuel that is left in the metal. Is there anything else that I should do? I plan on using my plasma cutter to cut the tanks and I am planning on welding the hinges in place where the door is before I completely cut it off. Let me know if you have done any of this and please send me your thoughts.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: First Build with Diesel tanks

Post by Dirtytires » August 2nd, 2022, 11:18 am

Diesel is still flammable as are the solids that have dropped out of solution and become embedded in the tank pores. If it were me, I would follow the same procedure as a propane tank. It's your call... :exp: :exp:

sfarbic
beginner
beginner

Re: First Build with Diesel tanks

Post by sfarbic » August 2nd, 2022, 1:25 pm

I understand that diesel is flammable, and I do want to be cautious. I am just looking for alternative options besides filling the entire tank with water and expelling 150 gallons of water in my yard. I heard dry ice in the bottom with a little water will create CO2 gas which is denser than air so in theory if I put enough dry ice in it to create CO2, once I see CO2 vapor coming out of the topmost opening there should be no oxygen left in the tank to create an explosive mixture. Has anyone tried this method? It seems to be a much cleaner alternative. I want to lean on someone else who has done this before. Any other options that I have not mentioned?