Christmas Brisket

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Christmas Brisket

Post by BitBucket » December 25th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Been a while since I posted, but I did a Christmas Brisket, so I figured I'd share--My source for brisket dried up when Sam's club closed its doors last January. The local chain store has some really slender flats sometimes, but they're terrible. In late November though Costco opened up and LO THERE WAS PRIME BRISKET, something I've never had access to before.

EDIT: The smokerbuilder post editor keeps doing something strange to the attachments, sorry there's some doubles in there I can't even see in the post anymore :oopssign:

Last night I trimmed my brisket and got it in a brine of 50% beef broth 50% brine water with some pepper and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce.
Then I pulled the ceramic egg in the house to thaw it out and got it prepped for the cook. This morning I fired it up at 6:00. Outside temp was -15 degrees.

The egg is a bit small for a full brisket so I like to trim a good size chunk of the flat off.

I put the rub on and put the brisket, put the flat and about 2 cups of beef broth in an aluminum pan, put a small rack across the face and put the main brisket on that. This went on at 6:30 after temp had been steady for about 15 minutes (fast warm-up also attributed to thawing the egg ahead of time).

I pulled after 4 hours of smoke at about 240 (Brisket was about 163), set the main brisket directly on the cut piece of flat, added another 1.5 cups of beef broth (to about 1/4" below the top of the sacrificial flat) in the pan, and wrapped tightly, put it into a 250 degree oven. It hit 204 about 2:30, when I pulled it and put it still wrapped into one of those folding 'chill chest' coolers and put a tea towel over the lid, rested for about 3h20. Internal temp was 182.

Unrwrapped, sliced, and...
IMAG2521.jpg

Dang I missed that flavor! Nice bark and very juicy. Even the sacrificial flat was good even if it tended toward crumbly. Not bad for a day when average temps didn't break -10 F!

Merry Christmas y'all.
Attachments
IMAG2521.jpg
IMAG2515_1.jpg
IMAG2518.jpg
IMAG2519.jpg
IMAG2520.jpg

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Christmas Brisket

Post by towtruck » December 25th, 2018, 11:31 pm

Very nice.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » December 26th, 2018, 12:42 am

Looks great

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » December 26th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Very nice!

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 26th, 2018, 8:33 pm

:needfood: :beer:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 28th, 2018, 8:09 pm

I have purchased many prime briskets from the same source....never had a bad one and the price is reasonable for such a great cut of meat.