Grease Fire

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Roadsterguy
beginner
beginner

Grease Fire

Post by Roadsterguy » March 3rd, 2021, 7:18 pm

Hi All,

I did my first cook on the smoker this past weekend. Its a 95 gal RFOS. I did beef ribs, spatchcock chickens, pork ribs and italian sausage. Ran the fire at 250 and the smoker held it great. The smoker was running for 6 hours (beef ribs) and everything else went on based on what I though I needed to get the food done at the same time. The last to go on was the sausage. An hour into the sausage cook, a great fire broke out when I opened the door.

Fortunately, I saved the beef ribs (they were on the side where the fire broke out, which is the fire box side. I wondering what is the best way to prevent a grease fire? Should I put some water pans on the BP? I had trimmed the fat from the beef ribs, but they still had plenty of marbling in them and the chicken also had the skin, which had completely rendered. Most of the drippings stayed on the BP and didn't drain.

Any thoughts on how to work this out? I've even thought about putting a slight rise on the FB side to get the fat to drain out the other end.

Thanks, John
Attachments
IMG_1427.jpeg
IMG_1341.jpeg
IMG_1497.jpeg
Last edited by Roadsterguy on March 3rd, 2021, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Grease Fire

Post by towtruck » March 3rd, 2021, 7:24 pm

Sausage gets oily fast. You might have to make sure to put high fat meats on the other side away from the hot spot.

Roadsterguy
beginner
beginner

Post by Roadsterguy » March 3rd, 2021, 7:43 pm

Do you get any drippings out the drain? I'm wondering if I need a slight slope in the BP. When I built this I used the Smokerbuilder plans, but it didn't say to slope the BP

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » March 3rd, 2021, 7:46 pm

A slope will help for sure but if the BP is getting hot enough it will still light it off. I would try a slope first before anything else. No sense having a drain if nothing makes it to it.

Zroadn
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Zroadn » March 4th, 2021, 12:32 am

Does it have a shadow plate under the BP by the FB? A couple of members here were telling me on my 1st build to add a shadow plate, that it would help reduce the initial heat on the BP next to the FB.
The slope to the grease drain would also help.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 4th, 2021, 10:30 am

Do NOT slope your baffle plate. It will mess up with the airflow.

I would look to see if you have a hole/gap in your welds on the baffle plate that is allowing grease to drip under it. Wouldn’t take much grease to work thru and find its way to the firebox to get a fire going. The baffle plate should be fully welded and able to hold water.

Roadsterguy
beginner
beginner

Post by Roadsterguy » March 4th, 2021, 1:15 pm

What about adding a water tray under the cooking grate on the FB side?

Roadsterguy
beginner
beginner

Post by Roadsterguy » March 4th, 2021, 2:02 pm

Zroadn wrote:
March 4th, 2021, 12:32 am
Does it have a shadow plate under the BP by the FB? A couple of members here were telling me on my 1st build to add a shadow plate, that it would help reduce the initial heat on the BP next to the FB.
The slope to the grease drain would also help.
It doesn't have a shadow plate and it would be very difficult to add one now.

Zroadn
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Zroadn » March 4th, 2021, 6:15 pm

True that.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 5th, 2021, 10:41 am

A water tray will catch some drippings but it is not going to prevent grease from dripping into your firebox. And it definitely is not going to magically put out a fire....

Clean out your pit and remove the racks. Grab a hose and put a half inch of water in your baffle plate then open the firebox door and, with a flashlight, see where the water is dripping thru. Mark it, drain the water and weld the holes shut. Just make sure you test it again to make sure you got the right areas. You should be able to let your smoker sit full of water overnight and still have a dry firebox in morning.

Roadsterguy
beginner
beginner

Post by Roadsterguy » March 5th, 2021, 11:28 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 10:41 am
A water tray will catch some drippings but it is not going to prevent grease from dripping into your firebox. And it definitely is not going to magically put out a fire....

Clean out your pit and remove the racks. Grab a hose and put a half inch of water in your baffle plate then open the firebox door and, with a flashlight, see where the water is dripping thru. Mark it, drain the water and weld the holes shut. Just make sure you test it again to make sure you got the right areas. You should be able to let your smoker sit full of water overnight and still have a dry firebox in morning.
That’s a great idea. Thanks!

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » March 6th, 2021, 8:28 pm

You can always place a shadow plate above the baffle plate. As for tilting the baffle plate, I'm not a fan. I like to see the drippings stay relatively directly under the meat so when it steams off it flavors the meat that it came from. Saying all that, you could weld a slanted shadow plate above the baffle plate that would direct any fluids away from the hot spot of the baffle plate.

Roadsterguy
beginner
beginner

Post by Roadsterguy » March 10th, 2021, 11:53 am

Thanks to Dirtytires, I checked below the baffle plate and could see some seepage along the sides. After cleaning the cc I added additional weld along where the BP is welded to the cc. So far so good and thanks for the suggestion. The inside of my air tank has a rough surface and I think this might have been the culprit.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 11th, 2021, 12:19 pm

You bet....glad it worked. If grease can’t get below the baffle plate it won’t ignite.