membrane on ribs

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Re: membrane on ribs

Post by Tom_Heath » June 3rd, 2012, 10:05 pm

I bet you are right on, I believe that Frank has talked to him in person. And said he is pretty allright.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » June 4th, 2012, 9:55 am

Myron's book is really good also. I think you get a good feel for what he is like in person from the book. I think he is intimidating but from all accounts of anyone who has ever talked to him, he is open and helpful - except on a comp Saturday morning, but hey - I'm not very nice then either :wrestlinchair:

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » June 4th, 2012, 12:03 pm

GUILTY! - see politician thread ...

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

GvilleDave
beginner
beginner

Post by GvilleDave » June 5th, 2012, 1:50 pm

On the topic of membrane removal - Does removing the membrane cause the ribs to fall apart if they are being hung from a hook in a vertical smoker? I see the wisdom in removing but always thought the membrane helped keep my ribs from becoming a pile at the bottom of a vertical smoker...

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » June 5th, 2012, 1:55 pm

There are actually two layers of skin, I try to always leave the transparent bottom layer behind. I do this just because I read somewhere quite a while back that the inner layer does in fact help secure the bones. I think a person would have to be pretty intentional if they wanted to remove that inner layer as well when taking off the outter silver membrane.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » June 5th, 2012, 2:26 pm

SoloQue wrote:There are actually two layers of skin, I try to always leave the transparent bottom layer behind. I do this just because I read somewhere quite a while back that the inner layer does in fact help secure the bones. I think a person would have to be pretty intentional if they wanted to remove that inner layer as well when taking off the outter silver membrane.
a lot of meat would come off as well if you tried to remove the second layer.

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » June 5th, 2012, 9:04 pm

GvilleDave wrote:On the topic of membrane removal - Does removing the membrane cause the ribs to fall apart if they are being hung from a hook in a vertical smoker? I see the wisdom in removing but always thought the membrane helped keep my ribs from becoming a pile at the bottom of a vertical smoker...
I generally cook spares (trimmed down to St. Louis cut) and I cook them until they are just past done. In my experience, as the ribs cool they will tighten up a bit leaving me with a competition perfect rib. (my scores disagree with the competition perfect part of that...) Most of the time if I am not careful handling the ribs they will fall apart on me. I couldn't imagine hanging them from a hook and having them stay together.

That said, I think it has less to do with the membrane and more to do with the general tenderness of the ribs, but, of course, I have never left the membrane on either.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » June 13th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Baby backs yes spares Hmmmmm. Sometimes