First Brisket

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Bigfoot Yancey
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

First Brisket

Post by Bigfoot Yancey » September 26th, 2012, 10:15 am

Okay- gong to do my first brisket this weekend. :-ss
I've done ribs and pork butt in the past, but it's been a coon's age and never a brisket.

So- at the Good 'Ol Boy Gathering I paid attention to Frank Cox's prep. But did a lot of :beer:
Thank goodness I took some decent pics of the trimmin' and rubbin'. So I can refer to those to help me out.
I missed out on the succeeding steps.

Does anybody have any suggestions or favorite tricks?
Should I do an injection?

I will be doing it in an Offset Smoker.

Thanks for your time guys.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: First Brisket

Post by Frank_Cox » September 26th, 2012, 1:35 pm

This is a great backyard Brisket recipe…
The Rub-

1/4 cup salt
3 TBSP of your favorite store bought beef shake like McCormick’s
(I use one that is made by Traeger)
2 TBSP Cracked Pepper
2 TBSP Paprika
1 TBSP Cumin
1TBSP Allspice
1/4 cup Brown Sugar

Trim the fat pockets out of the brisket leaving about a quarter inch or so of fat on the brisket. Optionally, you can partially split the point and flat apart by following the fat layer horizontally in the center of the brisket and remove some of the fat there also. Next shake the rub mixture on the brisket and coat it well. “Rub” it in a little and then wrap the brisket in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours or overnight to let the rub get some moisture in it and start to work it’s way into the meat. Fire up the smoker and run the temperature up to 275*F or so. When the smoker reaches 275*F, unwrap the brisket and place the brisket in the smoker fat cap up. After 30 minutes check the smoker temperature and close the air inlets slightly to let the temperature drop to 225*F. Let the brisket smoke for 5 hours then remove it from the smoker and double wrap it in foil with the seam up to capture the moisture. After 3 hours open the foil but leave the brisket in it. This will allow some of the moisture to evaporate. at this time place a digital thermometer in the meat and let the internal meat temperature come up to 200*F. When the brisket reaches temp take it off the smoker. Remove it from the foil saving the juices in a container and let it rest on the cutting board for about 15 minutes. Next, double wrap the brisket once more and place in a good ice chest and wrap in blankets for 45 minutes to 1 hour. This will help the tenderness of the brisket and it will retain moisture better. After the brisket rests, remove it from the foil and place on cutting board. At this time finish separating the pointy and flat and trim off any remaining fat from the fat layer in between the point and flat. Cut the point into chunks for burnt ends and slice the flat the opposite direction of the grain of the meat.
TIP!….
Cut 1 test slice first about 1/4 inch thick and about 3 inches in from the end. Holding the slice with your hands, stretch it. If the slice falls apart make the rest of your slices thicker. If the slice stretches and then breaks in half easily slice at 1/4 inch. If the slice doesnt break, give the brisket to the dogs…

Bigfoot Yancey
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Bigfoot Yancey » September 26th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Holy Guadalajara!!!

:-o

Over and Beyond. GREATLY appreciated!!!

"You're okay, Cougar. Just stay on my wing. I'll take you all the way in."
"Easy Cougar...Just a walk in the park, buddy."

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » September 26th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Frank_Cox wrote:If the slice doesnt break, give the brisket to the dogs…
I got the fattest dogs in town :D

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » September 26th, 2012, 5:36 pm

One trick is just before you rub the brisket down flip the whole thing fat cap down on the cutting board and find the grain direction. It's easy to spot at this time in the process.

At the very end of the flat about an inch in make a "guide" cut at least half way through the flat that is 90 degrees with the grain - exactly cross-grain. This will leave a small piece of meat just hanging on which is exactly what you want.

When you are ready to cook it you will know what direction to do so by following your "guide " cut. LOTS easier to do since the bark has hidden your grain completely. Unfortunately the little piece of meat is WAY overdone so the dog will still get a morsel... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Bigfoot Yancey
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Bigfoot Yancey » September 27th, 2012, 11:33 am

Awesome- Thanks Rick!
Is that the "burnt ends"?

:beer:

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Re: Re: First Brisket

Post by Grabber70Mach » September 27th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Bigfoot Yancey wrote:Awesome- Thanks Rick!
Is that the "burnt ends"?

:beer:
Found on about.com

So what are Burnt Ends? They are trimmings from a smoked brisket. A beef brisket is a strange shaped cut of meat and when smoked there are pieces around the edge tend to dry out and get very smoky in flavor. These parts are trimmed off and instead of being discarded are served up in everything from sandwiches to barbecue gumbo. They have an intense smoke flavor and though generally on the tough and chewy side are very popular with the barbecue crowd. If you want a good source of burnt ends try trimming the thin point from your smoked brisket and returning it to the smoker for a few more hours. This will drain off the last of the fat and intensify the smoke flavor.