Pecan Crusted Turkey - Would Ya?

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Pecan Crusted Turkey - Would Ya?

Post by SoloQue » November 18th, 2012, 11:10 am

So I find myself planning another Thanksgiving feast with yet another turkey about to go through the brine and smoke process and now I want to take it to the next level. As a rule I always use pecan for my smoking source but now I am wondering about actually using pecans in the final rub. Right now I am thinking to pulverize the pecans into as much of a dust consistency that I can get. At that point i will simply fold the pecan meal into a cup or so of butter and add a generous portion of poultry seasoning. I don't have a none BBQ poultry rub in my current list of goodies so I am looking at the baseline flavor of McCormicks. My biggest concern is appearance, I sure don't want a bird sitting there in the middle of the table that looks to have warts. I always stuff my birds with apple wedges during the cooking process and I think the pecan/apple mix will work but I figured I better reach out for any experiences or insights that y'all might have to share. Aside of course from needing to send DC a sample of the finished product. :D

Have decide this is just a photo if DC's favorite tattoo ----> :needfood:

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Pecan Crusted Turkey - Would Ya?

Post by Gizmo » November 18th, 2012, 11:32 am

SQ I have an idea.

Many disasters have begun with that very statement - but this one MIGHT help you.

Fresh is good but fresh is often too juicy - which could clump and "wart" as you say.
How about roasting the pecans first? I'm thinking a single layer of pecans on a tinfoil (recycled of course) covered cookie sheet in the house oven or better yet - the smoker - for about an hour at say about ... 400?
Now the pecans are much dryer and should pulverize (mortar/pestle here) better into a dustier consistency which should make a more even "rubbed" look on the bird. I'm guessing on all of this but it seems like if anything that treating the pecans this way might even render them too faint - so you could step up the concentration in future attempts to bring the flavor up to the "pecan power" you want.

This suggestion and four dollars will get you a cup of fancy coffee ... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » November 18th, 2012, 11:42 am

:wtf: ....would be my first choice Solo...

I think that pecan dust so to speak would be a good idea but some people might not like the idea of a "nutty turkey'.....

I'm just saying...

Rick and your dang recycled foil!!! :wsm:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » November 18th, 2012, 11:47 am

Waste not - foil not! :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » November 18th, 2012, 1:58 pm

I like new stuff as much as the next guy, but I think as long as the bird will be cooking is way too long for the pecans to cook. So I believe the pecans will be more like tiny pieces of charcoal on the bird when it is done. I hope I'm wrong and could be, just saying?

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » November 18th, 2012, 3:06 pm

Never really thought about too much heat on the pecans. I can take the glaze approach and blend some melted butter, honey, mustard powder and pecan dust for the last 45 minutes. I believe I am going to pre-dry the pecans and make the pecan meal and then make a final glaze over the already crisped skin. I'll post a pic of the finished bird as well as the feedback I get. I have a ham as back up so I'm not too worried about an experiment. Thanks as always :kewl:

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » November 18th, 2012, 5:58 pm

I know I'm late to this, but I gotta see how this turns out.
I like the drying idea, then making a glaze for the finishing touch. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! :D

Hurry up Solo, get that bird going.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

maccas66
Expert
Expert
Title: Aussourian Plumber
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by maccas66 » November 18th, 2012, 11:36 pm

i`m probably even later to this, but we picked up a jar of " John Henry`s east Texas Pecan Rub" at the Barbeque`s Galore in Plano TX, nice on chicken thighs!!!................................ :D

http://www.johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/n ... %20Purpose

" I`m so hungry, I`m farting fresh air!"

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » November 21st, 2012, 9:43 pm

I like it solo. I gotta go with the drying out thing too. I would also like to see your butter idea but mix in some cajun style seasoning? mabe the good ol tony chachere's (or however the heck you spell that)

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » November 22nd, 2012, 5:40 am

Turkey Watch 2012:
Its 4:30 am and Pops is almost up to temp. The bird is resting towards room temperature wearing a shiny coat of real butter with massaged poultry seasoning highlights, 2 peeled and quartered Gala apples securely tucked into breast cavity. No pics at this time as I have just discovered my college aged daughter unplugged my charger to power her laptop. (I should have anticipated this!) I will grab a quick pic or 2 when I roll the bird at 4 hr mark.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » November 22nd, 2012, 7:46 am

What??? No Pic ....never happened...you know the rule!!!

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » November 22nd, 2012, 1:11 pm

Oh well, ended up with somethingalong the lines of Pecan Butter. Smeared it on but things never actually set up. Nothing smoothed out and the bird ended up with a really lousy appearance. No pics this time, i would like to imagine it never happened. The flavor was really good on the "butter" but was not applicale in its final form. I have a year to perfect the look but the family is gonna be a weeeee bit disappointed on table presentation. :headwall:

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » November 22nd, 2012, 5:13 pm

Well that sucks....so lets pretend it didn't happen?

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » November 22nd, 2012, 5:20 pm

No lets dont. I'm sure Solo is just being hard on himself. I bet that bird was awesome. You know theres more to it than looks. ;) Nothing a few drinks couldnt fix. :beer:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » November 22nd, 2012, 5:25 pm

I bet your right....we've seen awesome things come out of his kitchen.....plus chefs are so critical of themselves....

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » November 22nd, 2012, 7:48 pm

:noqview:

Well, evidently I now have a christmas wish list which will be for a new phone. The varmint hasn't taken a charge all day but I can confirm 3 findings on this year's cooking. 1) Even if you dry the pecans beforehand, enough butter and honey will turn them into a putty all the same and that stuff just wont stick to a cooked bird. 2) Adding pecans to your turkey brine is an almost genious thing to do. (no really, we're talking borderline genious :D ) and lastly, 6.5 hrs at 250 will turnout a bird so tender your mother-in-law would be hard pressed to complain about it. No really, she didn't say a word as she just kept cramming that wonderful bird home. :kewl:

Next year (or Christmas) y'all will get the complete photo documentary on the Solo Brined Bird but for this year I'll take the learning experience in stride since I ended up with a crazy good tasting bird even if it was armor plated with pecan paste.

I hope everyone's feasts were as enjoyable. If they weren't, I can always have an extra chair waiting for ya next year down here, when I cook running out of food just isn't an option so folks are always welcome!

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » November 22nd, 2012, 9:09 pm

sounds awesome Solo! I like the brine idea better. cook the semi powdered pecans right into the brine! awesome idea! :beer:

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » November 26th, 2012, 6:51 am

It could be as simple as mixing your pecan powder with melted butter for your late glaze to add the flavor - a guy could experiment on some chickens till you get it right.... thanks for sharing this idear Solo...

It also occurs to me that pecan extract could be added to that glaze to adjust the intensity... :D

Mettle
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by Mettle » November 26th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Here is what I would do. Use sugar (dissolved sugar, corn syrup, and/or honey) and pecans, not butter. Butter does not "set up" like I think you are looking for. You can balance the sweet with salty and/or sour (vinegar/citrus).

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » November 26th, 2012, 7:22 pm

That sounds like a good idea. and you don't get much sweet from the corn syrup, or do ya?

Return to “FOOD!”