Salmon Smoking Help

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
mag1
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Salmon Smoking Help

Post by mag1 » December 11th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Now that the smoker is working, I have been offered some salmon to try. Can anyone give me some recipies to try, I currently have apple wood, a little hickory (to strong I believe) can get access to oak. My smoker is mainly a stick burner, so will the apple work.

Recipies, temps, wood selection, any other input? I would prefer to keep it a shorter smoke, have seen some that are 4hrs, others 1hr. Looking for good advice to try. Thanks

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Re: Salmon Smoking Help

Post by Pennywise » December 11th, 2014, 1:19 pm

I absolutely love salmon as long as its not over-cooked. I haven't done any on my smoker though, as I find its easy to do on the grill with a cedar plank.

I use the salmon seasoning at our local grocery store (think its a natl brand) with the picture of dom deluise on it...this is it, but your store probably has it:

http://www.vitacost.com/chef-paul-prudh ... 10590163-2

I find most people don't like salmon because its over-cooked. It gets dry, and has a stronger taste. If you've ever had sushi, you know that the fish taste is NOT in there in raw salmon. Its a by-product of cooking it, or crappy salmon. If you season the outside and sear the outside, the inside of my salmon should be a different color, yet still come off in flakes.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but its the only advice I got brutha...

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » December 11th, 2014, 1:54 pm

From what I have come to understand...smoking salmon is best done ON ANOTHER SMOKER !

I do admit, that does look mighty tasty !

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » December 11th, 2014, 2:42 pm

I have to agree with Puff. I would never smoke fish in a smoker I plan on using to smoke other meat. The fish smell is there forever.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 11th, 2014, 3:04 pm

I do and will continue to smoke fish in my smokers. But I do make sure to catch all the drippings. I smoke fish for fish dip. I always brine it for 4 hours first so the juice that comes out of it is what I put into it. I run my smoker 175-180. I use oak, let the fish take in the smoke as slow as you can and stay food safe. You will see beads appear on the surface, this is the time to get ready to take it out. Allow a bit more time for it to look cooked on the outside edges. Take it off and allow to rest a few minutes. It will be great. I would glaze it with maybe some sesame oil and soy, after the beads show up. You can put many flavors on it.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » December 11th, 2014, 4:18 pm

There's an old joke but I truly hesitate.....

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

mag1
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by mag1 » December 28th, 2014, 7:58 am

I did up a slab of salmon yesterday, turned out pretty good. Tried the recipe that is in Billy Bardee (sorry if I misspelled) post. I pulled it out after an hour at 180, didn't seem quit done, so I put it back in while I had my pork loin at 250 for about another 15 min. Perfect. I didn't brine it long enough, but it was still good. My youngest daughter couldn't stop eating it. Thanks for the help.

Culinairezaken
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Culinairezaken » December 28th, 2014, 2:36 pm

I smoked a couple of tons of salmon on my stickburner for caterings and i do it quite simple:

Throw the side of salmon skinside down on a cedar plank (i use the paper thin ones) and season it with seasalt and cane-sugar. Don't over-season it.

The temperature i use is low, around 160 F for about 20 minutes. If the white "bubbles" are appearing it's overcookin it or the smoker is too hot.

Be sure to use a good quality, fresh salmon and even the people who dislike salmon will come for second servings!

P.s. I use oak and beech

mag1
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by mag1 » December 30th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Here is the one slab of salmon I did before pulling it apart. Camera didn't take the best picture. It had a redder look than what is shown.
Attachments
1.jpg

Culinairezaken
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Culinairezaken » December 30th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Looks good mag, did you like it?

mag1
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by mag1 » December 30th, 2014, 2:25 pm

It was better after I put it back on for another 15 min. My 6yr old ate most of it. Couldn't keep her away from it. Time to do some more. I need to put the dry brine/brown sugar on it for a longer time. What does the cedar plank do for it? Thanks

Return to “FOOD!”