Thanksgiving/Christmas Ham

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
cyberstrategist
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Old Country BBQ

Thanksgiving/Christmas Ham

Post by cyberstrategist » November 16th, 2015, 11:38 am

I wanted to throw out the question on how much smoke flavor one of the store bought hams could actually pick up if doing the cook on the smoker. Since most of them are already pre-cooked and only need to be heated up, they already have a "skin" on them and would make it hard to penetrate and truly get the flavor you're looking for.

I'm guesssing, most will say to score it which is what I've done previously. Can you think of other ways that I can penetrate these things and still hold true to not only the process but also the flavors?

Thanks in advance!
-Cyber

Where faith + family + tradition always equals success. Serving up BBQ the old school way.

Currently using...
Five Barrel Cookers; One New Braunfels horizontal; One Trailer smoker (being built)

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Thanksgiving/Christmas Ham

Post by Rodcrafter » November 17th, 2015, 8:15 pm

I've done it, they come out nice. Don't forget the honey glaze

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » November 17th, 2015, 9:36 pm

When we go back to Vermont to visit family, most of the smoked goods are cob smoked. That is a very potent flavor and if I had to make any suggestions for a deep tasting smoke, try it if you can. I know it's getting late to start drying corn cobs but you can buy pellets as a supplementary smoke. I use them for cheese and we think it's great...FYI

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » November 25th, 2015, 12:42 pm

I guess there are a few types of hams out there--where I live you don't see very many of the uncooked 'country hams', but I have put a store bought presmoked 'city ham' in my ceramic egg cooker after putting on the pork rub I use. The ham itself did come with a chunk of skin on it, which I removed and cooked separately. I used oak lump charcoal and pecan chunks.

Because it was pre-brined and smoked, it didn't need a very long cook time, it was more about just getting hot and adding flavor. I used a bbq glaze made from apple jelly and just a few pineapple bits for some twang. It tasted pretty good except it was salty, since I didn't account for the salt already absorbed in curing in the ham when considering the rub. The 'fresh' smoke in addition to the flavor already there worked pretty well to just take things up a notch.

If I were going to do it again today I would make the same rub and just omit the salt from the rub ingredients. In fact, hmm...Someone else is cooking Thanksgiving but I still have a 4-day weekend...Dang it now I'm hungry AND conflicted on what to cook...

The pic is a bit dark, but here's what it looked like.

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius