Opinions on the 3-2-1 rib method

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
painer
beginner
beginner
Title: BBQ Rookie
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by painer » November 28th, 2012, 9:44 pm

First off, for those who aren't familiar with it, the 3-2-1 method for ribs is supposedly what some of the pros like johnny trigg use. Basically you smoke for 3 hours, wrap in a glaze, smoke for 2 more hours, then paint your sauce on for the last hour. I have never cooked this way until last weekend. I followed a youtube recipe which claimed to be the recipe johnny trigg uses and wins with. I must say - I didn't like it too much. Mainly my reasons were that I felt like I simply had too much "stuff" on the ribs and it overpowered the meat flavor I personally like. So basically I just wanted to post and see what you guys thought about this method or any variations of it. Granted I have only done it once, it just doesnt seem like something I will stick with.

Oh and for numbers - I had the smoker dialed in at 225 the whole time and watched it like a hawk - I did two slabs and they really were over cooked - bones just pulled out. It was tender, but any bbq judge would rate them overcooked. So another issue I have is how the heck do people cook ribs 6 hours and not over cook LOL. I usually go 4-5 hours on mine. My recipe is typically an overnight soak in a heavy ale with a rub an hour or so before cooking. However here is the youtube vid I followed.

And please, I mean no offense to this video or anyone who cooks this way - he obviously made it look good as the reason I tried it!

Thanks for any input

Edit - the only thing I can think is that I keep a water pan in my smoker throughout the whole smoke - if this guys smoker was dry maybe the water over cooked them?

New to the more competitive style of barbecue but have been a fan for ages.
Located in central Alabama.

maccas66
Expert
Expert
Title: Aussourian Plumber

Re: Opinions on the 3-2-1 rib method

Post by maccas66 » November 29th, 2012, 12:05 am

He`s method is a bit too much for my taste!, and the 6 hours well I`ve tried it and have had mixed results. On Sunday last we had managed to get some decent ribs from a Cosco store east of us, I rubbed it with some Big Ron`s Hint of Houston dry rub about 2 hrs before and put it in with the bones down for close to 3 hrs, when I foiled it and put some OJ on them and put them back in for 2 hrs,at around 1 hr in I poured somemore OJ on them and sealed them back up, after the 2 hrs I uncovered it and put it back in for just over 1 hour ( poor supervision Skills) with a good but not too heavy bast of Sweet Baby Rays Hickory & Brown sugar BBQ sauce.
For a change the ribs had plenty of meat on them and the smoke turned out great if I do say so!, this is them plated up.

" I`m so hungry, I`m farting fresh air!"

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » November 29th, 2012, 7:45 am

I've never used the 3 - 2 - 1 method - that's way too long for the 240 - 250 I cook at.

I cook baby backs mostly which are a little meatier than spares and after 2 hours the ribs have most of the smoke they will ever take in and the rub/bark has been "set".
After 1 hour in foil you've loosened the meat from the bone about as far as you want to, just watch it - they vary a little.
Back on the grate for finishing up and glazing the last few minutes.

I haven't had leftover ribs in over 3 years around this house so somebody likes em... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Mettle
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by Mettle » November 29th, 2012, 8:03 am

I could not imagine cooking ribs that long.

As far as the smoke, foil, unwrapped method... it is solid. Put stuff on that you like (and as much as you like) and don't add anything you don't.

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » November 29th, 2012, 8:17 am

I quit foiling ribs a while back, I just cook em till they are done, works for me I want mine to have some bite in them but i finally started pulling tha membrane!!!!!!!! Again I live in Alabama, where we eat collard greens cooked with ham hocks and neck bones!!!!!!

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

SOILhunter
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by SOILhunter » November 29th, 2012, 8:17 am

I use the same method..I just don't use those times. Every rack is different so the all get their own attention.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 29th, 2012, 10:06 am

:welcome:

:noqview:

Just joking around, I have used the 3-2-1 method but not with all the toppings he used in the vid. I find the last hour tighens things back up pretty well. At my house they tell me they like the bones to pull right out, so I just open the foil the last hour not removing them from the foil so it sort of hits in the middle. Seems to be working.

A little mustard on them then lots of rub.

i like to mist them with apple juice after the 3 hours, then wrap them up. Keep the temp low and slow. My cooker has 2 CC so it looks like in this pic it has 2 temps.

I see I need to get some pics of the finished product, sorry. You will need to know they are great!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » November 29th, 2012, 8:36 pm

The 3-2-1 method is a great starting point for beginners. I worry mostly about the tenderness not going as far as Falling Off the Bone. I want it to pull clean but keep it's shape (Competition cooking). I do very similar to the 3-2-1 method I just change it around base on internal meat temp and tooth pic test. I also pay close attention to the color and appearance. I spend a little longer than 3 on the first go and less than 2 on the second. more like 4-1-.5 usually. each rack is different as someone said before. I also watch the fat rendering. sometimes i will flip the ribs upside down to keep the fat from making black spots on them right before foiling. different bastes added during foiling will have a different effect on the end result as well. apple juice cut 50% with water seems to be a very good liquid to baste with. you need to check the flavor profile after opening the foil tho as more rub etc. may need to be re applied to keep your profile right.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » November 29th, 2012, 8:40 pm

I have used 3-2-1, but it is not my usual method. As Rick said the rib type has alot to do with it in my opinion. At 220 I have found 2-2-1 works. 2 in the smoke, 2 in foil with apple juice, honey, and brown sugar, then 1 more unfoiled, while adding sauce. Just my .02.

By the way all the pics of food :LG:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

PoPs54

Post by PoPs54 » November 30th, 2012, 9:54 am

OK Frank. This is the first time I have read anything about the toothpick test. What is that? Also, where do you place the probe to check internal meat temp on ribs? And you do bone down or up? Lots of questions, huh! Thanks in advance.

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » November 30th, 2012, 3:14 pm

3-2-1 is usually the route I try and take. The problem I have with it is, either the beer or now nice tea. I tend to lose track of time. I've had nothing but good luck. Just start expierimenting and see what works best for you. I believe Rick says it a lot, if it doesn't turn out too good, the dog will eat good. :beer:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » November 30th, 2012, 6:50 pm

And even at "good" he'll follow you around a LOT more - the more "Q" you screw up ... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » December 3rd, 2012, 4:57 pm

Rick wrote:I cook baby backs mostly which are a little meatier than spares
:huh: I gotta start buying my ribs where you do. My spares outweigh any baby backs I ever bought by a couple pounds.

I cook at 275, rub 'em right before they go in, 2 hours on the rack, meat side up. Foil 'em with honey / brown sugar, back in the smoker meat side down for 1.5 - 2 hours depending on how the smoker is holding temp that day. Pull 'em, sauce em (lightly) and then I crimp the tops of the foil a bit and let the ribs sit so the sauce sets up nicely on them. When you pull the hot ribs from the smoker they will be falling apart, if you let them cool a bit they will tighten up some. One big mistake made on the comp circuit is cooks put their ribs in the box without a little cool off period. By the time they land on the judges table they are tough.

My ribs aren't top ten in the country, but we hover consistently around 12 - 15th place - fwiw.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 3rd, 2012, 10:33 pm

Walmart has the best ribs in my town and the baby backs are always shown about twice the thickness as the spares. I've never checked the rack weight of any rib racks I'm only referring to the amount of meat on each rib when you split the gap between them. I wish I had the link but I posted pics of my baby backs on here a few weeks back - maybe "snacks on ash wood" - can't remember - but you can see my cut ribs there... :D

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » December 4th, 2012, 4:59 pm

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 4th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Thanks DC.
You got the right place I mentioned but I was wrong on which thread. I'll go find it and be back...

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 4th, 2012, 7:40 pm

I couldn't find it so I went back to my library and here it is.
These are baby backs and they look pretty thick and meaty compared to the spare ribs I can buy here that are only slightly wider than the rib bone itself.
... :D

CarolinaQue
beginner
beginner

Post by CarolinaQue » December 4th, 2012, 8:37 pm

I'll say this...I threw the 3-2-1 method out the windo a while ago. Reason being, I was never able to get very good results with it. Since, I've bumped my cook temp up to 275*-300* and have spares done in about 3 1/2 to 4 hours total and baby backs to around 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 5th, 2012, 7:51 am

I guess my method is 2 - 1 - .5

And that's at about 250 ... :D

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » December 5th, 2012, 8:19 am

step 1-----get invited
step 2---show up with beer
step 3---eat ribs

that is my 3-2-1 method...any questions?

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

SOILhunter
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by SOILhunter » December 5th, 2012, 8:20 am

I knew I was doing something wrong....DC has got it figured out!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » December 5th, 2012, 5:15 pm

Step 1 is easier if you do step 2 first. I'm just sayin.... :beer:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Bobby Collins
beginner
beginner
Title: Awesome!!!

Post by Bobby Collins » December 28th, 2012, 10:24 am

TuscaloosaQ wrote:I quit foiling ribs a while back, I just cook em till they are done, works for me I want mine to have some bite in them but i finally started pulling tha membrane!!!!!!!! Again I live in Alabama, where we eat collard greens cooked with ham hocks and neck bones!!!!!!
I love collard green and ham hocks and neck bones. Sweet tea and thin corn bread fritters. Yum yum

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » January 4th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Bobby Collins wrote:I love collard green and ham hocks and neck bones. Sweet tea and thin corn bread fritters. Yum yum
Bobby Collins you are talking my kinda business love all of the above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » January 5th, 2013, 10:08 am

Dc is doin it backwards tho.... 1-2-3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forum Runner

Return to “FOOD!”