TQ's Bacon recipe. Bits and pieces arrive slowly

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » December 12th, 2013, 4:46 pm

I was hoping that after the cheese trial, I would be able to have had the bacon cured and ready to go but like all best intentions anyway, ...my Tender Quick finally arrived. Just need to find some good pork bellies.

I swear around here it has gotten to be a difficult job just running out to get stuff. In the 1960's, when I was watching the new and first seasons of " The Beverly Hillbillies"', I was a kid and never heard of the things granny used to talk about. Seems like home curing of meat is something that makes people scratch their heads. Trying to use country skills in a citified area is a tough chore. No one heats with wood, cooks with wood...in fact if you can't tear it out of a plastic package, it doesn't exist!

Ok, I'm done complainin'. I'm out looking for pork bellies!
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.46 KiB) Viewed 141 times

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Re: TQ's Bacon recipe. Bits and pieces arrive slowly

Post by SoloQue » December 12th, 2013, 5:31 pm

I don't know what size city you are in but if you have an asian market they will have bellies and at decent prices. If you have a grocery distribution center nearby they will often sell at cost plus 10%, you are just stuck with what ever brand they carry. they wont advertise but if you call you will find that they have direct sales programs usually set up for employees but they will sell to anyone for a profit and they don't have to deliver. Any large meat market will order for you, where you get hit with 30% mark up but can usually pick between brands. All big stores have dual suppliers at least. Hope that helps.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

El Gato
Expert
Expert
Title: HKU university
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by El Gato » December 12th, 2013, 7:19 pm

go to the mexican side of town, they use pork bellies alot,

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 12th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Thanks for the leads. There are Asian and Mexican markets around... I have never really gone looking for them being a meat and potatoes kinda guy. SoloQue, nice to know about these costs as I would buy 50 lbs or so for a start, it's really not a lot of bacon when it starts to cure and get packaged. With your experience, how long will this keep for in vacuum packs after it is cured and smoked? My wife's family in Vermont is big so It will be shipped out but I will keep enough for us here to enjoy.

I live in the last rural spot in the state. But it is closing in fast. I can't wait to retire and go back to Vermont...my wife hates it..230 people in town where she grew up. She's been citified. Meat markets and butchers have long gone with some of these huge supermarkets and Walmart super centers

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » December 13th, 2013, 5:24 pm

Keep it frozen and it will last for a couple years. I found a pack of bacon from butchering in 2011 and fried it up. Tasted like the fresh stuff. :beer:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » December 14th, 2013, 6:53 am

I go to this place from time to time. They process pork on the premises so I'd guess they could hook you up.

http://loefflersmeats.com/

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » December 14th, 2013, 7:37 am

Pulaski's Meats in the Trenton Farm Market is definitely worth a trip. I would call for pork bellies but I'd bet they'd bring it in for you. Their Kielbasa is really good, double smoked please!

http://www.thetrentonfarmersmarket.com/vendors.php#

There's an Amish store in there as well. Next to Pulaski's is a BBQ joint but it's never open as I go early.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 14th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Whoa....that's a good lead Pete. I'm about 25-30 minutes once I get on 195. I'll let you know how I make out. Between the vacuum sealer and freezer, looks like I'm set to do this only a few times a month...haha, just kiddin'

By the way... Had zero progress on the tank smoker in the last two weeks but I did get the wheels painted finally and the tires are mounted.. Unfortunately ..the snow that was finally going away, decided to restock itself with another 4" today . So, they sit out in the the snow
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.91 KiB) Viewed 94 times
These are Ford Ranger pickup wheels and tires.. Got the wheels free....degreaser and cleaned them 4 times...they were disgusting. They are also taller than the wheels I built the trailer with so my FB bottom clearance will increase another 2" to about 12" ...maybe a bit more

By the way: interesting read BUT what do they know.
http://qz.com/157136/good-news-your-bac ... next-year/

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 19th, 2013, 11:44 pm

Hey Pete ...loefflers wrote back to me and they were really very nice but told me that it would be best to go to Restaurant Depot and buy 1 or 10 or a full pallet

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » December 20th, 2013, 6:10 am

I go to the Restaurant Depot in Langhorne, Pa. It's right on old Rt 1 across from Reedmans. I have to make a stop there before xmas so I'll make a point to look for you. If they don't have it and you want to make a trip this way there are several pig farms in the area that can definitely hook you up.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 20th, 2013, 6:58 pm

How do you like them apples....smoker almost done and no place to buy meats. !
image.jpg

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » December 20th, 2013, 7:03 pm

I baked a red velvet cake in Eli last summer …… just sayin' :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 20th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Over $1000.00 in this smoker so far , maybe more. A cake I could bake in my 10 year old rusty Jenn-Air grill. Which, by the way, is what we cooked everything on during the two weeks of no electricity during hurricane Sandy. I wanna start smellin some mesquite or hickory...

I'll have a piece of that cake now......

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 20th, 2013, 9:59 pm

=))
Glad to know you got a sense of humor there Puff…..

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 23rd, 2013, 8:07 am

I'm not sure if it was humor or a resentment. lol We are laughing with you Puff. We can all spend more than we thought we would.

Let's see some updated pics of that smoker Puff.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 23rd, 2013, 10:30 am

Frankly, I have one of the best views on life and things that pile on making life a freakin challenge. Thank goodness too, because stuff really piles on at times. I don't resent this experience. First...it has been an S load of fun, I have learned so so so much, it will work when it's done, and I have 3 more on the drawing board that will come out only a tiny bit better because I took all the recommendations you guys gave and used them. How much better could they get...maybe a better weld?

I know it's hard to tell in a forum but some of you guys can be a huge ball busters. I think, I could be in the line behind you.

Some progress has been the skins on the doors. Drilled the flat mounting feet to bolt to the deck and weld to the tank feet. Bought some 1" box tube to make the perimeter railing and folding cook shelf for the outside bottom of the tank. Added the 5th side to the fire box. My plan is to mount the FB to the tank with the top off, this way I can access the inside easily, make sure the contact surfaces are 100% and then weld the top on to the FB. Picked up the stop lights for the trailer for the top illumination lights for the shack style "roof". I figure it will help keep some snow or rain directly off the tank when cooking.

Problem is that it has been too cold for me. In Vermont I had no trouble -20 or -30 degrees...I was also 30 ... Now near 60 I just hits me at 25 degrees so I can't make much progress. This weekend was 65 Sat and 71 Sunday...with rain! Again, very little done. Went to Lowe's and found ROXUL fire retardant insulation. Looks like the bag for $37.00 will provide enough for about 46 more sets of smoker doors, is this the stuff you guys talk about? Is it placed in between the doors or STUFFED PACKED and JAMMED?
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 54 times

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » December 23rd, 2013, 12:44 pm

That will work, but if you can find the rigid sheets, I find it easier to deal with. Cut it like cardboard, and it will lay nicely while you sandwich your doors together. Just remember low and slow is the way we roll.

I tell ya, you have the addiction, already got three more built in your head. :kewl:

No doubt that we all learn from each other here, some of it is even useful. :D and the useless stuff, well that just makes this place fun! :beer:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 23rd, 2013, 5:36 pm

Yep Smokeone, I'm taking two 120 gallon compressors home tomorrow morning from work. Leaving early so while I know my wife is not gonna be happy if I play with anything tomorrow but, they will be here ! Lots to cut off and toss but I'm really good at that. One part of me says " fix the dang compressor " but the other side smells ribs !

So let me ask where you think I should look for rigid sheets? Is this a regular building supply type product?

EDIT: according to the ROXUL locator...lowes has it

Forgot to add this to my weekend accomplishments... As I was fitting a 26 by 30 by 1/4 piece to the side of the fire box, it slipped out of the space and landed on top of my foot. Oh did I scream...made up a few new words in the process. It looks like a rubber glove inflated. Feeling a lot better after two days. Fun fun fun

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » December 23rd, 2013, 6:15 pm

Makes a good case for steel-toed boots doesn't it? :hissy:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 24th, 2013, 12:22 am

Hmmmm!
image.jpg

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » December 24th, 2013, 4:04 pm

here is a search of where to buy Roxul. I use the RHT80 in 1-1/2" thickness.
http://www.roxul.com/residential/where+to+buy++roxul

Return to “FOOD!”