Pork , Sauce, and Success!

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Pork , Sauce, and Success!

Post by Puff » June 28th, 2014, 11:53 pm

You have all shared in the build of this project so, allow me to share the success of this nutty event.

Started to pull the membrane off the slabs at 10:00am. For the now 30 slabs of meat, the baby backs were the easier to prepare. The spare ribs had the meaty 3-4 inch piece attached so I cut them off and trimmed fat. What a job it turned into ...messy and started to get about 10 lbs of trimmings. Once we cleaned up, mustard and rub flew everywhere.

As it turned out, the racks were a bit over 2x4' each and there was zero room left on either. 30 full racks of ribs. The smoker performed flawlessly... Like a freakin' digital temperature controlled oven!!! Of course I managed the fire with luck...GREAT LUCK. At the two hour mark the foiling was a major chore but with 3 of us and these terrific gloves, it only took about 25 minutes to add some apple juice and seal them up. At that point there was an overlap in the placement. There was no room on the racks. But prior to this, they had started to smell really good. You could tell they were starting to cook.

During the foil period, I used only charcoal since there were 4 big bags of it thinking that we could not absorb smoke anyway. Saw a post by SoloQue suggesting that since there was a lot of meat, it might be good to bring the temperature up, so I did. The charcoal made it easy. The UN-foiling part was a real PITA as the heat was up and it was a warm day. The upper rack was just a tad high up and made for a sore back. The wrapping was very non symmetrical ... But nicely sealed .

Two hours in the foil REALLY softened up the meat and at times a few racks almost started to break apart. I did get them all neatly placed back on the racks. With another hour to go they started to dry up a just enough that they looked spectacular. Sauced only one rack and left the other dry. Filled a load of foil pans with sections of 3 ribs per cut. The day before I'd made up 5 quarts of different sauces. Vinegar, mustard, KC red, maple (about $12.00. Worth of real VT. Maple syrup) and one I had added ground clove to. It tasted like the old Beemans chewing gum flavor.

The reviews came in and everyone just loved them. They were fall off the bone tender. In fact several bones fell out while we cut them up. I started and 9:30am and got home only 12:30 midnight. It was such a tremendous success that I was asked by 4 other people to cater a party for them.... I had to turn them all down but knowing everyone enjoyed the ribs and pulled pork so much was very ego satisfying. One 9 year old boy came up to me and said" these are the best ribs I have ever eaten"

Geez... I came home happy and pooped

Hope the get together is going well.... Thanks to all a big big thanks
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: Pork , Sauce, and Success!

Post by Pete Mazz » June 29th, 2014, 6:31 am

That's awesome Puff!!!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by SmokinFF » June 29th, 2014, 7:36 am

Good job Puff. Glad it was a big hit. :beer:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » June 29th, 2014, 8:33 am

It's not that I'm a BBQ pro but...these ribs covered every single expectation I had in my head since I got the idea that I might try to build my own smoker. All of those Pitmaster shows that I drooled over since last September and stimulated my taste buds, paid off. I wish I could describe it even better. But you guys, being into it as well, obviously know.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » June 29th, 2014, 4:07 pm

Nothing like a success story after a lot of planning and hard work. Sounds like you had a blast :kewl:

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » June 29th, 2014, 6:15 pm

Solo, it was a lot more work than I thought but I had a lot of fun and never felt the drain. My back was a bit sore from the upper reach into the top shelf but you get over it with the excitement of looking inside every so many hours. These ribs were cooked 2.5-2-1.

You were so correct in your post yesterday. 27 slabs will keep you busy enough. Actually turned out to be 30. Raised the CC temp about 75 degrees as per your suggestion, thanks by the way, but this was about 1 hour before the foil came off and two hours in foil did soften them up. It is only 24 hours since serving and many people are still talking about how good they were. The responsiveness of the smoker was outstanding. One inch of damper makes such a nice change when you need it and controls beautifully

Like I said... Very big ego builder....

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 29th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Congrats Puff, I don't know if your going to be able to give it away now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 29th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Puff I'm glad to hear that it was a success, they looked great !!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Norcalputput
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by Norcalputput » June 29th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Puff two thumbs to you

Sent from my iPhone using Mores code

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » June 29th, 2014, 10:23 pm

Thanks guys...I'm ready for my next smoker now. I can see real value in the gravity feed!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » June 30th, 2014, 6:11 am

Sounds like it all came together nicely! Now to relax and plan the next big cook or cooker. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » June 30th, 2014, 7:15 am

Congratulations Puff, looks like an awesome cook. Glad everything turned out great.

From infinity and beyond

FATNECK
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by FATNECK » June 30th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Looks good Puff.

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » July 22nd, 2014, 3:38 pm