Brine rest time???

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Bubba
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Smokin' Franks BBQ TEAM KCBS
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Brine rest time???

Post by Bubba » December 25th, 2011, 6:11 pm

I smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving, and did 3 today. I know there are many opinions on the brining process, but both times I have made sure I had a good 12 hours of rest time. The first time I brined for 24 hours and rested for 12 hours. This time I brined for 12 hours and rested for 12 hours. Yes after rinsing and resting in fridge you will notice some of your brine solution in the bottom of the pan or whatever you set it in. I have included a post below from another forum, which makes sense. One concern is that you lose your brine solution as mentioned, but still seems to have plenty of flavor and very moist both times. Just wondering what others opinions are on rest time?
turkey.JPG
BBQ-Brethren
thirdeye
"The "possible myth" of too salty gets a lot of folks. It's a first impression thing, especially when you add a salty rub, or add a rub too soon. When excess salt remains on the outside (or near the surface of brined or some cured meats) that is what your tongue senses on the first bite, and it tells your brain that "this is too salty". It's hard to over ride the brain once something is locked in. This is why rinsing, and some refrigerated rest time is a good idea. The rinse removes excess surface salts from the brining process, and the rest time allows those internal liquids that are mobile to settle down and equalize within the meat. Some of my resting times are 40% - 50% of the brine time ( a chicken breast brined 2 hours will rest an hour, a turkey breast brined for 24 hours will rest overnight) So, a properly brined, rinsed and rested piece of meat is more agreeable to taking a rub than a freshly brined piece of meat right out of the bucket."

Image Image

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Re: Brine rest time???

Post by Tom_Heath » December 25th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Long time no see my friend.

The birds are looking mighty fine.

I can't be of much help with the brine deal since I haven't ventured into it much.

Hope you have had a great x mas.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Bubba
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Smokin' Franks BBQ TEAM KCBS
KCBS Cert. BBQ Judge

Post by Bubba » December 25th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Smoker Tom,
Merry X-Mas look forward to seeing you soon.

Here is my theory, just been thinking about it all day. The biggest concern in the brining process is over-brining. Over-brining causes meat to be way too salty. Most of the reading I have done (remind you not by experience) everyone has their own range of brining times 4-12 hours etc. etc. This is a wide range and takes much time to perfect. The solution (brine) that I spoke of earlier during the resting process that seeps out of meat into container you are sitting it in is an overaccumulation of brine that settles out to keep it even as quoted by thirdeye above. I think if you brine maximum amount of time recommended but allow resting, you can never over-brine. I am going to test the theory. Once again let me remind you I may just be overthinking this.

Image Image

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 25th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Well, it makes perfect sence. I can sure see where someone could have not given the correct time to rest and then have the complaint of being over salty.

Like the old saying,,,,,good things come with time.!!!!

BTW.....sure do like that gril !!

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » December 25th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Looks Great bubba! makes sense on the rest time. gonna hafta try that for sure!

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » December 26th, 2011, 8:19 am

I've only done one brine and that was baby back ribs. Brined overnight, rested 2 hours then rub applied 30 minutes before they went on the smoker. Came out great. I'm sure a bird will absorb different than ribs but hope that helps... those birds are looking good ! :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

KILLSWITCH505
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
BBQ Comp Team Name: kids dont try this at home

Post by KILLSWITCH505 » December 27th, 2011, 6:31 pm

thanks i was on the to salty team after reading this i may have to try a side by side some time

So you think that money is the root of all evil. Have you ever asked what is the root of all money?

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » December 27th, 2011, 7:19 pm

On Thanksgiving....we brined a turkey for 24 hours then rested for about a hour....then cooked away....I didn't have any complaints about salty.....everybody said it was good.....but what do I know?

:peek:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar