First 2017 brisket

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

First 2017 brisket

Post by BitBucket » May 14th, 2017, 2:40 am

It's May 13 and spring has been slow this year. There's still a tiny bit of snow in my back yard in fact but I was long overdue to fire up the big smoker (which was arguably overkill) to make a brisket for some friends today.

Mighty good eats, just starting to tip toward overcooked but still stands up to the droop test and it tasted great.

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: First 2017 brisket

Post by ajfoxy » May 14th, 2017, 3:02 am

Nice looking Spring food...

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » May 14th, 2017, 7:02 am

Looks sooooo yum dude! :needfood:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » May 14th, 2017, 8:06 am

Sweet looking breakfast

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

John T
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
BBQ Comp Team Name: I just like cooking for family and friends .

Post by John T » May 14th, 2017, 8:07 am

That looks good .Some times you just gotta make smoke ,i fired my new one last weekend with nothing in it . How much heat for how long and what rub ?

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » May 14th, 2017, 10:15 am

John T wrote:That looks good .Some times you just gotta make smoke ,i fired my new one last weekend with nothing in it . How much heat for how long and what rub ?
Brine: After trimming most of the fat I brine my brisket overnight in a solution of beef broth, pickling salt, a few dashes of worcestershire and some whole and crushed black peppercorns. I just dump it in a 'turkey size' plastic oven bag in a banquet tray and tie it off.
Rub: I use a variation on the beef rub found in 'Smokin' by Myron Mixon (I add a bit of cumin is all).
Fired up the smoker about 5:30 a.m., got the rub on the meat while the smoker warmed up, tried to keep it at around 275 on the rack with the meat on it, going on at right at 6:30.
Cook: I let the brisket have 4 hours of smoke then wrapped tightly in unwaxed butcher paper and stuck in a probe. It was around 165 internal temp at that point. At about 2:30 in the afternoon a thunder shower small enough to see daylight on both sides decided it didn't like me and absolutely drenched everything. I pulled the wrapped brisket and finished in the oven, at 275 with a total wrapped time right at 5h 30m with an internal temp of 204, then put it still wrapped in a cooler to rest for about an hour.

I'm still getting to know the smoker. This is the first cook in it where I didn't have a crash in temp around 7 hours in by misjudging when I needed to add more splits. For the way I cook I've learned it's way easier to damp down too much fire and crack open a door or something than scramble to recover if your hot coals aren't enough to light fresh wood. The rain really set that I need to get a canopy or roof on this thing. 'little' showers are a pain in the butt.

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 14th, 2017, 11:34 am

It can be a real pain trying to battle mother nature.
:needfood: :needfood: :needfood: :needfood: :needfood:
:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 14th, 2017, 12:52 pm

. For the way I cook I've learned it's way easier to damp down too much fire and crack open a door or something than scramble to recover if your hot coals aren't enough to light fresh wood. The rain really set that I need to get a canopy or roof on this thing. 'little' showers are a pain in the butt.[/quote]

I learned from Frank that if I put a couple of sticks in the FB each time tossing those "preheated sticks" on the fire they burst into flames instantly. Just put them inside so that the fire can't ignite them as the rest of the firewood burns.

I put a cover over my whole rig it makes for nice shade and always welcome dryness.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

mrshaund
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Captn Flaskies BBQ

Post by mrshaund » May 14th, 2017, 6:24 pm

Im just learning brisket the prep seems atleast to me to be the bear. 3 in and still not sure i trim rite lol

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 14th, 2017, 9:03 pm

I don't think about it too much, I've found that I only want the hard fat cut off. As far as the fat cap on a RF it goes toward the BP so it protects the flat from too much direct heat. I only cut on the edges of that part so it too will protect the edges.

Making memories!

Stewart
Expert
Expert

Post by Stewart » May 14th, 2017, 9:19 pm

:LG:

John T
BBQ Comp Team Name: I just like cooking for family and friends .

Post by John T » May 26th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Well i got the bug ,store had brisket for 2.49 trimed I got two , Hickory and cherry 262 and the meat is 90 degrees with kosher salt and ground black pepper with a few spoons of fresh ground coffee .

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » May 26th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 26th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Sounds good

Making memories!