cooking for a wedding in october

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Thane2015
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

cooking for a wedding in october

Post by Thane2015 » May 1st, 2018, 2:57 pm

In October of this year i will be cooking the meat at the wedding of a guy i work with. he wants me to split the meat 50/50 between pulled pork and pulled chicken.
my plan is to finish the meat the night before and put them in roasters to reheat the day of.

here is my question will chicken reheat well this way or should i plan it to be done the day of?

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Re: cooking for a wedding in october

Post by alleyrat58 » May 1st, 2018, 5:20 pm

My .02 - do it the day of. Vacuum seal the pork and reheat it in the bag and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat » May 1st, 2018, 11:41 pm

I have done pulled pork and chicken skewers for my daughter(last year) and chicken skewers for my son(two years ago). On both I did Chicken the day of and the pulled pork several days before. I find with Chicken that a reheat causes it to dry out some. So I always do chicken day of.

Thane2015
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Thane2015 » May 2nd, 2018, 4:19 pm

ok that is what i will do then thanks guys.

John T
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
BBQ Comp Team Name: I just like cooking for family and friends .

Post by John T » May 10th, 2018, 4:07 pm

We do chicken 12 breast at a time and bag for the three of us but it does dry out some . I would have to agree chicken day of .

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » July 20th, 2018, 8:14 am

I know I’m late on this post but... how are you serving the meat? Just a small pile along with sides? Using it to make sandwiches ? are you going to sauce the meat or maybe have sauce on the side as an option? I agree that the day of would be help the chicken stay moist but if you are pressed for time and have to make it the day before, I would pull it a few minutes earlier than usual...seal it well in large ziplock... next day mix a little chicken broth in, wrap it tight in a foil pan and warm it on a low temp like 225. If you plan to sauce the meat do it after its warm and you should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

Thane2015
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Thane2015 » September 26th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Sry for the late reply it has been really busy here. I am pressed for time the day of. I did a test cook for the couple last weekend so they could see the whole meal. The meat was cooked on sat and served on Sunday. I pulled everything and put it in a pan with a generous amount of the drippings. The next day the meat was put in a roaster with the drippings and slowly brought up to serving temp. The 3 BBQ sauces were severed warm on the side for the couple to decide which one they liked. During the wedding people will have a choice weather or not they want to put sauce on the meat or not.

the whole meal is baked beans, pulled chicken, pulled pork, 2 BBQ sauces to choose from 1 vinegar base that i make and 1 store bought, mashed potatoes, brown gravy, and rolls. That is what the couple settled on for there price range.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 27th, 2018, 10:28 am

Sounds like a busy day. Do you make the mashed potatoes and gravy or do you have a supplier for them? What are your secrets for heating and serving them?

I cook occasionally for family and friends and have never wondered into the mashed potatoes for a meal but they sure sound like a great addition.

And for the record...bbq, beans and gravy don’t mix well with a “big white dress”. You will be a hero if you are able to pull out a stain stick for the bride!

Thane2015
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Thane2015 » September 27th, 2018, 7:09 pm

lol yeah she is wearing a blue dress. when we did my brothers wedding we found that to reheat mashed potatoes in a roaster we make them ahead of time then add 2 sticks of butter and a couple of cups of milk. then as it heats up if it drys out add more milk. it worked really well and we made 2 full roasters of mashed potatoes for my brothers wedding.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 27th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Thanks...I use a crockpot here at the house but only to keep them warm while I finish up the meal. I’ll have to add them into my next menu.

Good luck with the cook.

Return to “FOOD!”