Game hens and pastrami

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
towtruck
Expert
Expert

Game hens and pastrami

Post by towtruck » May 16th, 2020, 5:58 pm

Today I smoked a brisket for pastrami and did some Cornish game hens for dinner. I started with a butcher bought corned beef brisket. I rinsed it and let it soak in water for 8 hours to desalinate it. I then dried it and rubbed it with a recipe to mimic Katz's New York rub. In the fridge for two days all rubbed up.

The birds were injected with a butter and herb injection and then rubbed with a good rub I use on ribs that has very little heat in it.

I started the smoker at 9 am and let it get up to temp and put the brisket in at 225-235*. Once the brisket hit 160* I wrapped it then I put the chickens in breast side down and bumped up the heat to 250-260*. Amazingly they all finished at the same time. As soon as the birds hit 165* the brisket hit 203*.

Three chimneys of charcoal start to finish is all it took.

The brisket before smoking.....

The hens after smoking....

Those birds came out great....so moist they were dripping, meat done perfectly, skin almost perfect as it could have been a little firmer to make them perfect. I may bump the temp up a few degrees next time I do them.

I'll get some pics of the pastrami once it rests and cools where I can slice it...it do smell good though.

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Game hens and pastrami

Post by Smurf » May 16th, 2020, 7:26 pm

:kewl: looks good!!!!

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » May 16th, 2020, 8:44 pm

The pastrami came out terrific. Flavor is great and done just enough to hold together and slice without falling apart. The only thing I will do different is to trim the fat down to almost zero. I want a better bark instead of that slimy fat cap that needs trimmed off. I will try smoking the next one without wrapping it too......I want a firmer bark.

I think I will smoke two of these next time just to get more meat and freeze it.

made a half sammich with just mustard and it's devine!

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » May 16th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Looks good... :kewl:

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » May 17th, 2020, 3:19 pm

We went shopping and got some rye bread and the wife mixed up some Russian dressing with horseradish. We buttered the bread, added the dressing, added Swiss cheese, pastrami, sauerkraut, more meat and topped with the other slice of bread and fried them in a cast iron pan with another pan on top of the sammich.

Has to be the best tasting sammich I have ever eaten. I am going to get two more corned briskets to have on hand and make up more of the pastrami....soooooooo dang good.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » May 17th, 2020, 6:34 pm

:needfood: Awe Man that looks good! Like grocery shopping on an empty stomach! We dont get that out here too often!

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

zima-man
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by zima-man » May 17th, 2020, 7:22 pm

That is one of my favorites to cook. I follow the same recipe! It's just so damn good!
I take some of that fat, throw it in the pan, render it down then make some dirty eggs with the meat! Man... pastrami and eggs.... what a great way to start the day!

UDS Nation

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » May 17th, 2020, 7:57 pm

The wife was not happy with my slicing skills on this one and I have to admit I am a horrible cutter. I can't carve a turkey without making a huge mess. She was playing around online and found a Beswood 10" Premium meat slicer and ordered it for me. Now I will be able to slice perfectly!

make good food and the wife buys me stuff....Hmmmmmm, I think I can work this for a little more =))

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 17th, 2020, 8:40 pm

:needfood: It looks delicious !! Glad to hear that your cook went well :beer:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » May 17th, 2020, 9:39 pm

Heck of a good deal with the missus buying you a slicer. I'm sure you can work that one for a while and maybe even another smoker... or two? :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Boston
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by Boston » May 17th, 2020, 9:56 pm

Looks great!!!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while