Plasma cutters

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Plasma cutters

Post by McBroom » April 19th, 2020, 4:55 pm

Do any of y'all use the Jegs plasma cutter?
Its a 40 amp 220V for $260. They say it'll cut 3/8"
I need a new plasma and don't want to spend over $300 for it. If it'll cut 1/2" would be a bonus.
So what are y'all using??
TIAImage

Claud McBroom

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Plasma cutters

Post by Big T » April 19th, 2020, 8:52 pm

I use a cheap plasma cutter that I bought from HF about 6-7 years ago. I mainly use it for cutting aluminum but it cuts 1/4'' steel with no problems. It says it will sever up to 5/8'' but I think 1/2'' is about the maximum for this little unit. It's 220v only so that's one drawback but I use it at work so it's not an issue. I will say that a friend has a Hypertherm machine that cuts way better than mine but it also cost a lot more than my machine. I did a quick google search of the Jegs machine and there was quite a few complaints of air internal leaks right out of the box. I also saw a lot of good reviews, I would make sure of their return policy before I bought it just in case you have an issue.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » April 19th, 2020, 11:54 pm

My wife is a manager at harbor freight and they stopped selling the Chicago Electric machine and now only carry the Vulcan. Its about $1000. I don't want to spend that much on one.
I've asked the same question on Facebook and a lot of places are saying that the lotus 5000D model is an excellent machine and cuts 1/2" like butter. Its $280. Problem is it won't ship till may 12 or later. Thats with nearly all the cutters on Amazon.
Hmmm what to do.
I've been reading up on the smart tech and pilot arc tips.

Claud McBroom

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 20th, 2020, 11:02 am

I’ve got a Lincoln...it’s in the range of 15 years old but it still works great and has never cost me anything except tips. I run it on 220 and it will cut 3/8 but has the advantage of being able to operate on 110 if I ever need to.

I’ve had limited dealings with Jegs but all have been positive. Keep in mind, any house-branded machine will most likely not have any parts available for repairs so your only option would be to ship back the unit. If it’s out of warranty, they probably won’t touch it.

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » April 20th, 2020, 1:04 pm

I ordered a lotos ltd5000 this morning from Amazon
$293 shipped. Should be here next Tuesday.
Its a 50 amp 220V says it'll cut 3/4" and 5/8" clean we shall see. I don't need it to cut that thick but it's always good to have more n not need it than need n not have.
Kinda like my truck. 2500 Ram 4x4. Could've got away with a 1500 2wd but why not have a bigger truck than needed. I can do anything cause I got the right equipment. Ya know what I mean...
Thank you for your help and support on the forum we all appreciate your knowledge.

Claud McBroom

Big T

Post by Big T » April 20th, 2020, 6:11 pm

Let us know how it works out for you. I looked at one of the lotos multi-process welding machines a while back but I never pulled the trigger on it. I did read a lot of positive reviews so I guess their stuff is pretty decent for the hobby guys like us.

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » April 20th, 2020, 7:47 pm

Yeah I've been talking to some guys on the welding forum and the lotos comes highly recommended and used. Its a usa company and consumables are the standard variety that can be found everywhere. And the pilot arc is cool too according to what I read.
Amazon gave me an update on shipping and it'll be here Thursday 23rd. I'm excited to not have to cut anymore 3/8" with a 4.5" angle grinder. That horrible.

Claud McBroom

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » April 22nd, 2020, 1:15 pm

Got my lotos LT5000D plasma cutter in this morning. Everything was factory perfect box n all.
I do have to change the 240V plug as I don't use that shape. Best $294 I've spent lately.
I get excited when I find cool stuff on my front porch!!Image

Claud McBroom

Big T

Post by Big T » April 22nd, 2020, 5:33 pm

:beer: It looks nice! Be sure to use a good air dryer if it uses shop air and be sure to let us know how well it works. :beer:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 22nd, 2020, 9:59 pm

Agree on the air dryer as they do not like moisture. I run a filter/dryer on the compressor outlet and have a really good dryer on the cutter inlet.

Congrats on the new toy. Takes a bit to get used to drag-speed but they sure are fun.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » April 23rd, 2020, 12:56 pm

I have the Lotos LTP5500D. I love it. Got it 4 months ago and have used it a lot. Some say the consumables are too expensive but you can find off-brand which work perfectly for significantly less than Lotos direct.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JG ... UTF8&psc=1
Good, dry air will save you on consumables either way.

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » April 23rd, 2020, 6:28 pm

dacolson wrote:I have the Lotos LTP5500D. I love it. Got it 4 months ago and have used it a lot. Some say the consumables are too expensive but you can find off-brand which work perfectly for significantly less than Lotos direct.
Those consumables are totally different from the ones I have. Don't have the orange O rings and the center is different too.

Claud McBroom

dacolson

Post by dacolson » April 23rd, 2020, 6:32 pm

McBroom wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 6:28 pm
dacolson wrote:I have the Lotos LTP5500D. I love it. Got it 4 months ago and have used it a lot. Some say the consumables are too expensive but you can find off-brand which work perfectly for significantly less than Lotos direct.
Those consumables are totally different from the ones I have. Don't have the orange O rings and the center is different too.

Claud McBroom
I bet it's b/c mine is the non-touch pilot? Either way, your manual should tell you what standard the LT5000 uses and you can do a little research for a 3rd party alternative.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » April 23rd, 2020, 6:34 pm

dacolson wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 6:32 pm
McBroom wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 6:28 pm

Claud McBroom
I bet it's b/c mine is the non-touch pilot? Either way, your manual should tell you what standard the LT5000 uses and you can do a little research for a 3rd party alternative.
Actually, I just looked on the uwelding site and they are on sale for 50% off: https://www.uwelding.com/for-red-lt5000d/
I'd grab them up. That's a great deal.

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Re: Hello from FL

Post by McBroom » September 2nd, 2020, 1:08 pm

So yesterday my plasma cutter broke. Called the tech line and ran a few tests on it and they decided it was trashed so they then emailed me a return shipping slip told me to ups it back and they would send me a new machine.
I shipped it out today and emailed them a copy of the receipt. I got another email from them saying they had my replacement shipping out today since I sent them the tracking number and receipt. They then noticed that I had to buy a shipping box. They are now also going to send me a 22 pc consumables kit with the new machine.
All I could say is wow. Talk about customer service. Lotos is an awesome company to do business with. I can't thank them enough for the speed of their customer service department. Yes I will always use their machines.

Claud McBroom

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » September 2nd, 2020, 1:44 pm

Man that's a great company.
Good to know, and thanks for sharing!!

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

dacolson

Post by dacolson » September 2nd, 2020, 5:10 pm

Same thing. Busted regulator on my lotos ltp5500. Sent a new one and a pack of consumables. 👍

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » September 2nd, 2020, 6:15 pm

Dang that’s pretty nice. Was it under warranty? I have a logos but I can’t remember what the warranty is on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dacolson

Post by dacolson » September 2nd, 2020, 6:29 pm

I think they all have a 5 yr warranty

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » September 2nd, 2020, 6:50 pm

ntjones wrote:Dang that’s pretty nice. Was it under warranty? I have a logos but I can’t remember what the warranty is on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah it was under warranty. They sent the replacement as soon as I sent them the email saying I shipped it to them. They're sending a 22pc consumables kit with it because I had to buy a shipping box. Ive already got the tracking number for the new machine

Claud McBroom

Return to “General Discussion”