Fire box question

Neutty

Fire box question

Post by Neutty » October 30th, 2021, 11:59 am

I built my smoker with all the calculators I could find and it’s as close to the sizes of everything I could do. I used a 55gal drum along with another 55 gal drum stripped and carefully rounded to the recommended size along with the throat opening as close to exact as I could get.

My issue, I am burning thru ALOT of (Royal Oak). Here’s a list of what I’m currently doing below.

In the box I have a “shelf” with a grate, it’s removable but it allows air to come in under the coals. But most of the air comes through at shelf level.

I also have been lighting the coals in about 5 spots and then placing a fan In front to push air through to get the fire going quicker.

I am planning to light in one spot going forward. But should I pull the shelf out? About 12 hours in and I’m at like 40lbs of Royal Oak and I foresee more to be added. (225-250 has been the temp) outside temp was at 35 at midnight which is when I fired it up.
Smoking pork butt at the moment.

What’s recommended to use for an offset firebox setup?
Attachments
E53E15CC-A81D-4DDE-88BC-E92619253361.jpeg

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Fire box question

Post by hogaboomer » October 30th, 2021, 2:34 pm

I recommend wood.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Neutty

Post by Neutty » October 30th, 2021, 6:39 pm

What kind of wood are we taking. Fire wood I can grab at my local stores? I feel that would smoke too much. Maybe I’m over thinking it.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert

Post by hogaboomer » October 30th, 2021, 7:59 pm

That thin metal is going to lose heat fast. Therefore you need more fuel to keep your temps up. You might try wrapping some kind of insulation around your firebox.
You can get firewood at the store, or you can buy it from a firewood guy. I try to get as much as I can for free. Oak is good, I use pecan.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert

Post by hogaboomer » October 30th, 2021, 9:04 pm

Smokers smoke, that's why they call it a smoker.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » October 31st, 2021, 1:55 am

Some folks use a welding blanket to trap heat.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 31st, 2021, 11:40 am

Are you using a gasket around all your doors? Drums are pretty thin metal and have a big tendency to warp and form gaps. Any gaps will either allow the hot air to escape or suck cold air in so sealing them up is a good idea.

As mentioned, logs are the preferred fuel source. They have a learning curve to get used to but provide a better tasting meat and are less expensive to burn.

As far as lighting your charcoal, I recommend you look at the "minion method" as it works great for charcoal and provides a long and steady heat run. I ran a small offset for years with charcoal and had great luck in the method. I built an expanded metal basket to fit in my firebox and filled it with unlit charcoal. You then dump a chimney of lit charcoal directly on top of the basket. The idea is each piece will slowly light the charcoal below it and keep your fire going. I also find that "lump" charcoal or much better for heat output, flavor and burn time as opposed to those yucky compressed briquettes.

Neutty

Post by Neutty » October 31st, 2021, 1:20 pm

Thanks guys I’ll look into all of the above. As far as smoke yes I agree smokers smoke but I also know the stuff I use for bon fires have a different smell. That’s what I should have said.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert

Post by hogaboomer » October 31st, 2021, 2:02 pm

Don't use pine.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Neutty

Post by Neutty » October 31st, 2021, 2:29 pm

What about my shelf.. should I take it out? I took a guess at what’s in a prebuilt firebox.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert

Post by hogaboomer » October 31st, 2021, 3:16 pm

You need to post more pics showing what you're working with.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 31st, 2021, 9:56 pm

You're fighting an uphill battle of heat loss especially at 35* outside temps. Try this.....Build your coal pile at the very back of the FB (closest to the CC) and keep it back there. Light the top of the coals and add unlit coals when needed to the top of the pile with long tongs to keep the fire at the very back. Your coal pile will most likely be up in the throat area...don't cover more than 1/3 of the throat with the stacked coals.

No matter what you do that thing will burn more charcoal in 12 hours than anyone will want to use. You will have to maximize each cook and cook a full smoker full of meat to make it pay. Insulating with a welding blanket will help.

If you are thinking of buying supermarket firewood you're going to spend lots of money for very little wood. Look for a tree trimmer service and see if they can get you some hardwood limbs or rounds. This takes a little work on your end to have a way to haul the wood and be able to meet to get it before they chip it all or dump it. Start the pit on charcoal and feed it well seasoned hardwood if you can.

I have a charcoal smoker that will use lots of fuel if you run it wrong. It is 100% air tight and has 1/2" thick walls. If you run it right and fill it up with meat it pays to run it.....heat it up for one roast or a rack of ribs and you will spend lots of money for a small amount of food. I don't run that smoker unless it's full of meat.

You will need a source of hardwood that is cheap (like free or close to it) to feed that pit. With wood you are still cooking with the coals so excess smoke should not be a problem. Start with a bed of charcoal and add a stick every so often to maintain your coal bed.

If cheap wood cannot be found I might suggest building an UDS and starting over if long cooks are what you are after.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » November 1st, 2021, 12:45 pm

Neutty wrote:
October 30th, 2021, 6:39 pm
What kind of wood are we taking. Fire wood I can grab at my local stores? I feel that would smoke too much. Maybe I’m over thinking it.
a rule of thumb that I use, is if the tree grows food on it , it is most likely safe to cook with, and likely taste ok. So any kind of common fruit or nut wood in your area, including oak of course,, I buy 1/4 chords of it in my area since I dont burn wood for heat anymore. stay away from sappy woods like pine, etc. The stuff at the stores is too pricey for my blood, since I was raised cutting wood and cannot stomach to pay that much to get just a handful of it. I know many people that buy bundles at the store tho, which works for them..

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 2nd, 2021, 10:00 am

In addition to the wood, a properly built fire will burn pretty clean. A fire basket is essential as is keeping a good bed of coals. I burn either oak or Pecan, both properly seasoned and in small splits, and have practically zero visible smoke from my chiminey.