What is this pit worth.

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

What is this pit worth.

Post by ntjones » December 14th, 2021, 4:34 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on what this might be worth if I sell it. I built it myself and I’m thinking of selling to fund another project. Any help is appreciated. It’s 60 gallons 1/16 thick and 20” diameter. Firebox is 20” diameter by 17” long and is 3/8 thick. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: What is this pit worth.

Post by hogaboomer » December 14th, 2021, 6:34 pm

What's your location and how do you plan on trying to sell it? People in Texas won't pay.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » December 14th, 2021, 7:35 pm

hogaboomer wrote:What's your location and how do you plan on trying to sell it? People in Texas won't pay.
I’m in Alabama. I was thinking of Facebook marketplace. I’ve never sold one before. I plan to build two more and sell them also. I see the bigger names in pits selling for a lot of money so I was hoping for a fraction of the price. I understand that my craftsmanship is also a fraction of what there’s is also. Lol. I hope to make this a side hustle.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert

Post by hogaboomer » December 14th, 2021, 7:48 pm

I've been trying the same thing. It's a pretty tough row to hoe. Everybody always wants something different than what you have. It's either too big, or it's too little.
I have two that I've been trying to sell on FB Marketplace for almost 3 months. I have a sign out in the front yard that gets more interest than Facebook.
You might possibly get $1,000 for that pit. Be prepared for it to sit for a while.
With the price of steel what it is right now, it's pretty hard to make any profit.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » December 14th, 2021, 8:05 pm

Yeah your right about the steel prices. That sucks for the little guys like me. I use to do a lot of hobby welding which is how I decided to build this pit. But now it’s to expensive to do for the heck of it. I might list is for $1000 and see what happens.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert

Post by hogaboomer » December 14th, 2021, 8:13 pm

Might as well go big, list it for $1500. You never know, you might have a better market in Alabama than what I have here in Texas. What are you wanting to build next?
I have a food truck guy paying me to build him a 250 gallon pit. He looked at my pits but decided they were too small for what he needs. He liked my work, though, so he decided to hire me to build something bigger. Now when this one is done, he wants me to work on the big cabinet pit that they're using now, modify it. These guys make some really good brisket tacos, and they are getting quite a following around here.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » December 14th, 2021, 8:36 pm

That’s pretty good. Then he can tell everyone who built his pit. I have another 60 gallon tank and a 75 gallon tank I’d like to build smokers out off. With steel so high I would like some money from this one to get started on the other two. It’s hard to find anything since 2020.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 15th, 2021, 10:15 am

So many pits on the market from the big name builders. If you want to make pits, I would advertise that you will custom build them. When someone is interested, design what they want, get a deposit and build it. At the end of the day, tho, it's hard to find someone to plop down $1500-2500 on a smoker in todays world.

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » December 15th, 2021, 12:00 pm

Yeah I think to a lot of people this is just a big hunk of metal. It’s probably worth more to me than anybody else because I put so much time into it. I might be better off to keep it since it does cook really good.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » December 24th, 2021, 3:27 pm

In my area selling a pit is near impossible. There are so many factory bbq's around people would rather pay for a new one than buy a home made one even though the new one's are cheaply made. Most people around here that want a custom pit just build their own. I don't think I have ever seen a custom pit, other than open Bbq's, advertised around here and even those are few and far between. Also around here most hobbyist smoker folks are buying and using pellet grills. They are lazy and like the set it and forget it of pellets.

Good luck

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert

Post by hogaboomer » December 24th, 2021, 6:09 pm

I don't know what the heck is going on, but I just sold two smokers and my original Santa Maria in a week, and had two people stop by today wanting smokers built. :o

I live on Hogaboom Road.

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » December 24th, 2021, 6:32 pm

Dang that’s pretty good. I wish I had a little more time. I would like to start building more.

Return to “General Discussion”