Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Stack/Draft debate

Post by Gizmo » November 25th, 2013, 10:07 pm

Solo is correct. again. damned annoying too … :D

I'm sorry for my previous outburst. It was not my conscious intention to disparage bacon's reputation or over-design anything - it just comes to me naturally.

But since you asked me to hallucinate - I will.

I hate to guess the percentage of smokers out there that aren't particularly well sealed. I'm sure it's significant.
I don't want to be ugly here but these smokers work fine and their owners can surely out cook me on a bad day!
But changing the stack on one of these cookers will have very little noticeable effect - the air is getting out everywhere else anyway - what difference is another opening going to make? A very wise HVAC guy told me a good cooker is just like a house. If it leaks it's hard to get it to temp and get it to stay there. Add to that we "Q" guys are also trying to control combustion too.

However…

I ASSUME the rig is air tight when I say something like that. There are only 2 ways to control airflow/fire strength/heat;

1) Don't let it in
2) Don't let it out
… preferably both in tandem.

That's all. :-B

And I guess I don't understand your concern over the height of your stack. :huh:

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 25th, 2013, 10:15 pm

I think he's concerned with reaching the top of his stack by hand to adjust his damper :huh: I'm assuming that he plans on using a flat damper over the top of his stack. I'm going with a damper similar to TQ's style with a handle that runs down the stack to make adjustments since the top of my stack is just shy of 8ft.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » November 25th, 2013, 10:19 pm

OH! Nothing wrong with a damper built in down low….. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » November 25th, 2013, 11:07 pm

Excellent comparison about the house... Big T is right. I won't be able to reach the top of that stack as it sits.
You guys should know but, you all have some amazing knowledge and skills in fabrications...I have never touched a piece of Steel before unless it was made in the 1930's or 1940's by someone else. At that point I sandblasted it, straightened it out and painted it...all the other tough stuff and design work was done by Bill Harley or Walter Davidson !

I admire the creation you guys can do and that is one reason that ...after the discussions and guidance you all provide to me here, and then it actually comes out.... Wow wee.. I am impressed. I know it sounds foolish but I have no knowledge of any of this YET, here it is and almost finished

You think I ask questions now...wait til I have to fire it up !!! Now, what am I supposed to do with the bacon?

PS: Big T,post a picture of that when you get it done if you don't mind...

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 25th, 2013, 11:34 pm

I sure will Puff.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » November 26th, 2013, 6:21 am

Now, what am I supposed to do with the bacon?
If it was me I'd eat it.... :beer:

I'd guess to season the smoker with some fat/flavor. What better way than to cook some bacon!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » November 26th, 2013, 6:38 am

:yth:

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » November 26th, 2013, 1:14 pm

As for the tall exhaust stacks I will stand by TQ's design on any given day. The front lip he incorporates prevents bypassing the totally closed point and the handles and shoulder height are just plain easy to operate and just as easy to duplicate the positioning for repeatibility on cooks.

The really cool part is the design is forward looking enough that while traveling the natural airflow keeps those stacks sealed which in turn prevents the occasional down pour from finding its way into the FB.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » November 26th, 2013, 2:58 pm

:yth: