Galvanized Steel

Wozza
beginner
beginner

Galvanized Steel

Post by Wozza » August 12th, 2014, 5:10 pm

I've spoken to a guy about getting some sheet steel off cuts from a factory that makes trailors - it's 1/4 inch sheet steel but I think they use galvanized steel

..... just checkin cos I think this might be BAD (not sure where I've got this from but somewhere along the way I've got a vague idea it's TOXIC and not for heating and cooking??) Anyone know if this is the case? or is it OK once it's been burnt out and/or painted??

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Galvanized Steel

Post by Puff » August 12th, 2014, 5:29 pm

It is toxic and to be very safe....it is likely best NOT to use it. In fact, when I was building the log splitter, my friend with much more welding experience from hot rod building, told me to grind off the galvanizing on the I-beam we used and don't breathe the fumes as we weld it.

So...take it for what it's worth
Last edited by Puff on August 12th, 2014, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Wozza
beginner
beginner

Post by Wozza » August 12th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Nah that doesn't sound great with ribs eh....cheers

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » August 12th, 2014, 9:15 pm

:yth:

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

GPP33
beginner
beginner

Post by GPP33 » August 20th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Galvanizing is simply a zinc coating. There's absolutely nothing toxic about it. The problem is the fumes that are created when you weld it react with oxygen to create zinc oxide (ZnO) which can cause metal fume fever. That's only a temporary condition and you'll fully recover. Some galvanizing coatings do contain a small amout of lead which wouldn't be good for you. The fire in your smoker wouldn't be hot enough to affect the coating but the potential presence of lead would be enough to keep my food off of it.

I prefer not to ever use galvanized steel in fabrication but if you can get it for cheap/free there's no reason not to, at least any medical reason. I would wear a good respirator though, while metal fume fever isn't permanent it'll still make for a crappy 24 to 48 hours.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » August 20th, 2014, 11:13 pm

So, does that make you feel like you should go out and use galvanized steel? If you want zinc in your diet, try pumpkin seeds

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » August 20th, 2014, 11:23 pm

:yth: agree with puff, there could always be a chance of it off gassing, so why risk it? ive had metal fume fever, and its no fun at all! :ymsick: :ymsick:

GPP33
beginner
beginner

Post by GPP33 » August 21st, 2014, 7:09 am

Rev.Mike wrote::yth: agree with puff, there could always be a chance of it off gassing, so why risk it? ive had metal fume fever, and its no fun at all! :ymsick: :ymsick:
Zinc melts at about 900F and vaporizes at about 1,650F. The conditions for "off gassing" are pretty well known. I agree though that I'd find a different avenue unless this stuff is free and the budget is tight. It can be used but the process to build it won't be as much fun IMO. I have never had metal fume fever and I don't really want to experience it.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » August 21st, 2014, 1:27 pm

Wanna know something...I"ve never heard of it ! But now that I have.... It just adds to all of the other baggage I carry around all day.. When does it stop... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Something like.... " I have &%$C#@! fever, every time I sneeze, gold coins come out of my nose" would be nice for a change ;)

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » August 21st, 2014, 8:19 pm

=))

:beer:

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

clint

Post by clint » February 14th, 2015, 1:11 pm

I have access to galvanized 4 inch pipe is that safe to use on my smokestack. I was planning on putting it in an inch pass the coke chamber

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Smurf » February 14th, 2015, 3:13 pm

I wouldn't use any galvanized metal on a smoker. Just a concern for others safety. Maybe use it on the framework or trailer material but it's no fun to weld. Jm2cw

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » February 14th, 2015, 4:24 pm

I don't feel it's worth the risk

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » February 14th, 2015, 9:53 pm

I have a 4" H beam as a support on my log splitter. It was well galvanized and we ground off the coating in any area it was welded. Worked out great FOR THAT USE. After reading about metal fume fever ...nothing would make me get close to it with my smokers

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » February 15th, 2015, 12:33 am

I better keep quiet on this one. I can say tho if you are using it on the trailer..... Burn it hot.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » February 15th, 2015, 11:07 am

This "trailer" only gets dragged thru the woods to the next tree.

kryten
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by kryten » February 17th, 2015, 2:46 pm

I bought some metal to modify my smoker and ended up picking up a piece or two of zinc coated metal by mistake. I took it back as even if the temps would never reach enough maybe to be any health risk, I just did not want to risk it.
There are probably cheaper alternatives, but when I was looking around for exhaust stack material I was finding pieces on eBay that would work. Everything I found on craigslist here was super thick stuff and not the diameter I was looking for. Issue I had with eBay was costs for some of it when you added the ship.
You might try contacting local exhaust shops to see if they will sell you some regular pipe (I did, but none of their hours matched up with when I'd be able to go pick some up) and then I had a look on the Summit Racing site. Got a piece of Summit exhaust pipe just the size I needed fairly reasonably that way. At least seemed reasonable to me. Maybe worth a look if you are still in the market.

Hunterwheeler

Post by Hunterwheeler » August 7th, 2015, 4:25 am

i have got a great idea from your post mate. i will try this personally and will tell you my experience

4-Barrel
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Blue-Blood Redneck

Post by 4-Barrel » August 7th, 2015, 11:05 pm

Puff wrote:After reading about metal fume fever ...nothing would make me get close to it with my smokers
Ugh. Believe you me, you don't want that stuff....

I got a severe case of metal fume fever from welding galvanized on the job, under what the boss and I both thought was adequate ventilation. I guess you could describe it as a sicker sick than you've ever felt before, and was one of the worst feelings I've ever experienced. At least it was pretty short lived, about 3 days total.

Many years later while working a different job, I got badly poisoned from welding brass for less than an hour one day. Zinc poisoning's bad enough, without adding copper to it too! I could drink a glass of water or a bottle of root beer, or eat a spicy burrito or a piece of chocolate cake; all tasted exactly like copper and nothing else. The constant, overpowering copper taste in my mouth for about 3 days was just like you were swishing around a big mouthful of copper wire. That's not counting the nausea, fever, chest tightness, coughing, extreme fatigue and weakness, and swollen, sore joints.

I then got a high quality activated carbon filter respirator that would fit under my welding hood, because copper, brass, and bronze were things I knew I'd have to weld fairly often at that shop. Take it from the sorrowful voice of experience: DO NOT attempt to weld copper, copper alloys (especially brass) or galvanized steel without a respirator equipped with activated carbon filters, and good ventilation on top of that. You'll regret it.

4-Barrel

Southern fried catfish - the other white meat!

Return to “General Discussion”