Gotta be a compromise ?

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Gotta be a compromise ?

Post by Puff » May 16th, 2015, 7:15 am

In the course of the last 2 years studying the forum and reading so many posts, questions and answers... I would like to try and qualify one statement.
" If your smoking ...use a proper smoker. If your grilling, use a proper grill"

I am not STATING THIS AS FACT but looking to make it true or false. I've discovered thru time there are truly exact methods, rules, tools etc for any given tasks. A deviation from the accepted practice may accomplish the goal but is considered a compromise.

I read a lot of builds looking to incorporate a grill and a smoker all within the confines of the same chamber. Most of the comments appear to be geared towards trying something, testing something, changing something. I've also noticed that many of these design trials are big enough to accommodate both grills and smokers.

With the slightest difference in outcome defined as a compromise, why try to accommodate two systems in one device.
I cannot believe how perfect my 4 smokers can produce smoked product and my propane grill produces grilled stuff.
I could never see accepting less than this and trying to create something in a single unit trying to get the closest net result.

Instead of doing crossword puzzles to keep my brain active, I 'll ask this mind numbing question.
What do you think ?

This in no way is slanted towards anyone trying to build a multipurpose unit. Just trying to see what the question results really are .

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Gotta be a compromise ?

Post by Big T » May 16th, 2015, 10:01 am

I understand what you're saying Puff as I also still use 3 types of smokers and 2 different grills. I know you said you aren't on facebook but Shirley fabrication (TQ) has a hybrid design that I think is probably the best of both worlds. He has built a contained charcoal basket that can be installed in place of the bottom rack in his main CC and you can direct grill, his WC has had this feature for a while. I think it's a great feature seeing as the cost of a nice RF smoker and then having to have a large grill also. I know some of the bigger RFcookers can cost upwards of 8-10 thousand $$$ so I think that's part of what they are factoring into a hybrid design and also the space that multiple cookers take up in the barn or garage. jm2cw

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 16th, 2015, 12:24 pm

Hmmm, gotta go to their website. Thanks Big T. Tihose thoughts came to me thinking about what a pita it is cutting out mistakes on trial and error stuff. If I was planning a build, I'd really prefer it came out good the first time. I also realized that my grill sits out on the deck all year long so it is out of the way. May I should reverse my thinking and need a smoker on the deck and not the ones out in the yard and garage on trailers. Or like the GF, too heavy for the deck and no way to get it up there anyway.

The oil tank plans actually call for a cutout on each side in the baffle plate where you would drop in charcoal baskets for grilling and a 5' long rotisserie. When not using the grill portion, you cover the cutouts with plate and it is an RF smoker.

I just keep the baffle plates inside and smoke.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » May 16th, 2015, 1:53 pm

I'll tell ya Puff, my trailer rig is much nicer with the "disc" multi-level grill, or some would call it an cowboy cooker. I take chicken quarters out of the smoker and brown them up crispy on the Cowboy Cooker. But it doesn't combine the two cooking environments. Just different tools for the job.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 16th, 2015, 5:28 pm

That is my point exactly. Each tool does its job correctly. And as this thought was forming in my head...The photo of your rig was just what I was thinking of, RC.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » May 16th, 2015, 5:53 pm

It's kinda like having a crescent wrench. It works ok as a wrench and ok as a hammer, which is terrific if that's all you have...but if you have the right (ok, purpose built ) tool for the job the crescent wrench stays in the tool box.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » May 17th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Great post Puff!!! I agree with you. I have designed several that attempt to compromise but in each and every case you make some sacrifices that I think are not worth it in the long run! :beer: :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 17th, 2015, 10:49 pm

'Nuff' said !

QueTex
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by QueTex » June 23rd, 2015, 7:57 am

"Use the right tool for the job" they say and I totally agree. However sometimes money, space, or other things have to come into consideration and a "multi-tool" does a very good job. Never had a problem cooking perfect brisket ribs and chickens on my 24" grill or my 36" grill with an indirect fire. Next day it may be 80 chicken halves on the 36 and 60 rib eyes on the 24. Just saying 2 cookers can do the work of four or more if you know how to use the tools. When riding dirt bikes in the Sierra Madre mountains of Mexico and Colorado mountains, the "mexican speed wrench" came in handy many many times, that would be the crescent wrench btw, just saying sometimes life has not just black and white areas but a lot of grays in between, lol.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » June 23rd, 2015, 8:04 am

Ha....don't forget the duct tape! (Aka. " 100 mph tape" )

QueTex
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by QueTex » June 23rd, 2015, 1:17 pm

lol man your right about that Puff, that's a dirt biker best friend next to a gps.

Return to “General Discussion”