If one needed a backyard grill....

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

If one needed a backyard grill....

Post by Pennywise » July 14th, 2015, 11:53 am

Who here would be selling them? Not a smoker, got a stand alone smoker. Just want a good grill for the deck. Im throwing one out today, so before I go buy one (I know, build it..but my big rig isn't done yet..sooo) I wasn't sure if anyone here had them for purchase.

This post is for the supporting of THIS community, not as meant to step on anyones toes. If its against some rule I know not of, please PM me. I looked at the trading block, it was all big stuff. Thanks again.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: If one needed a backyard grill....

Post by mp4 » July 14th, 2015, 2:34 pm

If your looking for a gas grill my vote is for Weber. I never bought the El cheapo grills but didn't ever want to pony up for a Weber either...I finally did and can't believe how much I had been missing out on. It warms up quick, holds temperature well and cooks evenly. Be prepared to spend $700+ though.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » July 15th, 2015, 6:29 am

Depends on the fuel source will depend on my answer

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » July 15th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Im a charcoal guy. I don't use gas unless Im cooking 72 thighs and chicken legs. Then I put some on the gas side. I'm leaning towards the Vision Kamodo Pro ATM, but only because I'm looking for durability.

My biggest issue is all the grills they sell at hardware stores are made from flimsy material that cannot withstand the rigors of my cooks. I cook outside at MINIMUM 3 nights a week and more if I do a smoke on the weekends.

Thats why I asked here. Didn't know if anyone here was fabbing sturdy grills, or if anyone has any success with any store bought grills that can cook for 6 people on a regular basis.

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » July 16th, 2015, 8:13 am

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » July 16th, 2015, 8:52 am

Those are said to be pretty nice grills, I have no experience with that brand in particular but do with that style grill. I think you will be pleased with it. You can do anything from low n slow to high heat searing and pizza off these is fantastic. They do the best when fed with lump charcoal. You might want to look around on here http://www.kamadoguru.com/mobiquo/smart ... lang=en-US and possibly join up.

From Infinity and beyond

Never Argue With A Moron– They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » July 16th, 2015, 1:00 pm

Great, I buy ONE GRILL and Mach is kicking me out...jeesh. ;)

I joined up, thanks for the link brotha.

I did an initial burn in it last night...just so happened to have a bag of vision lump charcoal cause I found it on sale for like 9 bucks at Sams club last week. It did as advertised. Got it up to 400, shut it down. It was still at 300 2 hours later, but the charcoal was extinguished and there was still 3/4ths of it left in it this morning when I checked.

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » July 17th, 2015, 8:37 am

Pennywise wrote:Great, I buy ONE GRILL and Mach is kicking me out...jeesh. ;)

I joined up, thanks for the link brotha.

I did an initial burn in it last night...just so happened to have a bag of vision lump charcoal cause I found it on sale for like 9 bucks at Sams club last week. It did as advertised. Got it up to 400, shut it down. It was still at 300 2 hours later, but the charcoal was extinguished and there was still 3/4ths of it left in it this morning when I checked.
No no no not kicking anyone out. :D
Glad to hear you joined up.

From Infinity and beyond

Never Argue With A Moron– They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by forty_creek » July 17th, 2015, 11:29 pm

Penny be sure and burp the lid before raising it while cooking. The sudden oxygenation will get you! I do not have any experience with that Kamado model. Give us some feed back. I love my BGE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » July 17th, 2015, 11:30 pm

Never use lighter fluid in her either.
Sift thru the coals to allow the ash to fall out before trying to light again. Add a lil lump and light her up!

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » July 18th, 2015, 5:52 am

Two excellent points

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » July 21st, 2015, 12:53 pm

So far, my feelings are mixed....

One, I've cooked nothing of decent quality on it yet. Its been super thin ribeyes, and porkchops that aged in the fridge for 4 days waiting for the rest of my life to give me a freakin break long enough to make dinner.

I hate the dual grill grate setup on it. The top grate is worthless IMO, as you can't rotate it aside or anything to get to the meat underneath to flip. I saw on a thread in the site Mach listed an akorn that had a swivel to swing the top grate out of the way....if the dang thing was bigger that would have been smooth.

The electric lighter port works well, but Ive no experience with lighting grills that way so I find I have a concentrated fire front and center with ambient heat everywhere else. It would be great if I was cooking something other than steaks or chops I guess as inderect heat would be neccessary, but as of yet thats not the case.

I do like the temp control, the extremely fast recover time of temps after opening the lid. I need some accessories, and I need to continue to use it.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » July 21st, 2015, 6:18 pm

I can't picture the dual grate your referring to. I use a cast iron grate for anything I want grill marks on. Plus I have SS that came with the egg. I have purchased a 3 tier rack that works great.
The electric starter is what I use. I set it in the middle and pile the lump around it. Let her heat for few until I think she's hot enough then pull it and set it to the side. Close the lid remove the daisy wheel and let the temp rise. I normally do have a hot spot but sometimes when the fire/coals are right I will spread them out. Normally cook for several so I sear the steaks that need to be over cooked first and set em to the side. Mine goes on last.
It takes some practice like any cooker. Once it's seasoned it's almost like cheating IMO
Post a pic of the dual rack if you don't mind.

bstory
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by bstory » July 23rd, 2015, 7:14 pm

I have had my egg for a few years and I still love it. It may take you a little while to get used to it. Do some nice thick steaks at 650 for 1:30 then flip for 1:30 then flip and close off air for 3:00 perfect steak.