Smoker diameter

pawatch
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Smoker diameter

Post by pawatch » September 29th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Would a 16 x 60 piece of pipe be a big enough diameter to build a smoker ? 1/4 steel. Would flow be a problem?

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: Smoker diameter

Post by mp4 » September 29th, 2015, 8:03 pm

It would look like a foot long hotdog, but that's cool, right? [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 29th, 2015, 8:17 pm

If you're talking about a RF, I personally don't like to use anything under 18'' and I feel that's a little tight. I'm sure you can use 16'' pipe but you can't make it 60'' long and build it to spec. If you shorten it up you could probably make it work but you'd only have 1 rack. If you're talking about an offset smoker then I think the diameter will be fine. jm2cw

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

pawatch
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by pawatch » September 29th, 2015, 8:30 pm

This is the hotdog it's forsale cheap. I was looking at it as a project.

Big T

Post by Big T » September 29th, 2015, 10:33 pm

It should be a good start if it's cheap enough. I had a store bought model that was similar to this one but it was thin metal and didn't last very long. You can make a few mods to it and have yourself a nice smoker.

pawatch
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by pawatch » September 30th, 2015, 6:14 am

Big T wrote:It should be a good start if it's cheap enough. I had a store bought model that was similar to this one but it was thin metal and didn't last very long. You can make a few mods to it and have yourself a nice smoker.
Big T
Thanks for the reply!
I liked the fact it was 1/4". But didn't want to waste my time if it wasn't going to work. Thinking it could be a father/son project and just give it to my son.

Big T

Post by Big T » September 30th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Heck Yeah !! :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » September 30th, 2015, 8:25 pm

What would you think of slicing it in Half and rebuilding the proper sized fireboxes. Of course you'd have two smokers

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

pawatch
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by pawatch » September 30th, 2015, 9:19 pm

Puff
I would think that cutting it in half would make it to small for my use. Was kicking around the idea of cutting it in half and going vertical.
What would be the idea length for 16" diameter smoker? You guys are the experts appreciate all the advise.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » September 30th, 2015, 10:45 pm

I think your demands for quantity may dictate this along with practical dimensions from the pit calculator. At my house these days...its maybe 4 people...1 is a gluten free vegetarian... So three of us might eat 2-3 racks of ribs. In my 275... They get lost.

I ran a few numbers through....it looks like a 16x 30 could be small and a firebox is 11x14x14... Small and not typical for firewood standard length but if you cut what you burn, you can control that or...use charcoal . the 21" long stack is only 2.5" wide and the dampers seem ok at 2x6". But it's also nice to keep a taller firebox so you can elevate the fire within to get air flow from dampers under the fire path.

If you square up the cylinder with square doors and elevated top, things start to look a bit bigger and you can utilize 2 cook racks and larger firebox... On the other hand, it's a bunch of work regardless of whether you start from scratch or modify this one. I assume you are looking to go reverse flow?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

pawatch
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by pawatch » October 1st, 2015, 5:26 am

I was under the impression that the current dimensions of the tank wouldn't be that good for a RF.
I guess I need to try and look at this smoker in person.
Thanks

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 1st, 2015, 6:10 am

The only thing that makes this size too small is you can't put a rack of ribs in it cross ways but that is ok, because they can be turned. As for the RF portion, as long as you can keep the cooking rack away from the baffle plate is won't cause too much radiant heat to the cook. So considering the distance from the top of the throat opening to the cooking grate, it in my opinion must be at least 2" 4" would be better. I would have went with the "T shape" FishlessMickey makes, because the firebox is so small.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

pawatch
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by pawatch » October 1st, 2015, 6:34 am

Rodcrafter
My original thoughts was to rework the firebox if needed. Change the exhaust and fit the doors a little better.
What advantages does a reverse flow have over a standard flow? I know standard flow usually has convection plate or tuning plates to control airflow.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 1st, 2015, 7:08 pm

I like the RF for a few reasons, I can control the flow of smoke over the meat better, I can use the radiant heat from the plate, it holds even temps across the grate. To name a few, don't get me wrong, when I built my big cooker I made tuning plates. But after trying difficult settings with them I chose to just but them together and go RF. Good choice!

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

pawatch
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by pawatch » October 1st, 2015, 9:07 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:I like the RF for a few reasons, I can control the flow of smoke over the meat better, I can use the radiant heat from the plate, it holds even temps across the grate. To name a few, don't get me wrong, when I built my big cooker I made tuning plates. But after trying difficult settings with them I chose to just but them together and go RF. Good choice!

Making memories.
Thanks for explaining the differences.
Thanks for everyone's thoughts, I'm going to try and give this a look in person. And go from there. Still like to hear any suggestions. I also got a few feelers out for some used pipe at scrape price.