metal thickness question

raptorchris
beginner
beginner

metal thickness question

Post by raptorchris » January 5th, 2015, 9:49 am

Hi,
I'm about to start my 1st smoker build. I'm building an insulated vertical smoker, similar to a LoneStar Grilz. When I told my metal guy that both the inner and outter skins are to be 11guage, he questioned why the outter skin needs to be that thick. He said that the inner skin and insulation would be more than enough to insulate it, and to save money and weight by going with a thinner outter skin. I'm no expert, and am only going off what others have done. Is there a reason to have the outter skinthat thick or am I ok going thinner?
Thanks,
Chris

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: metal thickness question

Post by The Czar » January 5th, 2015, 10:22 am

My opinion is if your insulating then it's okay to go thinner skin...we used 14 gauge before...

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Post by Pennywise » January 5th, 2015, 10:27 am

I think that the thicker the skin, the more durable, even if insulated and relatively lighter. If you think back to your old BBQ's that you bought from the hardware store, most of them began faltering after a year or two regardless of how clean you keep it and how many times you cover it.

I've never built one of these, but I would probably go bigger just for longevity. JMHO.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » January 5th, 2015, 11:33 am

My 14 gauge skinned gravity feed smoker is about 50" tall NOT including the 8" wheels and their 4" mounts. While I can move it. It takes a monumental effort to push over the 1/4" lip on my garage door apron to the garage floor. I typically need to rock it a few times like a car stuck in mud or snow. It is VERY heavy.

I have decided that I am going to build the smaller version of this great cooker. I have little choice . It seems like I am getting older every day? Not sure what factor this plays in your build but you did mention weight. IT IS however, a TERRIFIC and efficient smoker.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » January 5th, 2015, 1:01 pm

I would say 11 gauge on the outer skin is overkill and not worth the added weight. I know some people will use 16 gauge, but I would go with 14.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

DUAYNE B
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by DUAYNE B » January 5th, 2015, 10:04 pm

The centerfeed I recently finished is 10 gauge inner with 1in. 2000 degree insulation and outer skin is .020 aluminum. Very happy with performance. The insulation keeps the outer skin safe from extreme temps, I can hold hand on outerskin when inner is at 270. Everything below cookchamber is 1/4in. Not insulated but shielded..... jmt