Looking for Advice on a Grill/Smoker Combo

Esisharri
Title: Joseph
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Looking for Advice on a Grill/Smoker Combo

Post by Esisharri » December 26th, 2019, 6:54 am

Thanks for all the great info on this site.

I've been Grilling on a Weber Genesis (Nat Gas) and Smoking in a Bradley Electric for +/- 12 Years, and Im now getting to Upgrade with the addition of a Pool - So, we are going to build in a Brick Bar with Grill, Fridge, etc...

My Quesion is what is the best way to go? I grill weekly and I smoke Monthly/Bi-Monthly, and 2 Friends of mine swear by the Traeger. I really want to go with a Combo Smoker/Grill and Im concerend that its a "Better Smoker" than a grill (from reviews), will I be dissapointed if the Traeger is my main Grill?

Secondly, are there other options I should consider for the combo Smoker/Grill?

Thanks for your Help!

my new article about Hematopoietic Stem Cells

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Looking for Advice on a Grill/Smoker Combo

Post by towtruck » December 26th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Welcome!

Since you have the Bradley why not just get the grill you want and keep the Bradley for smoking? Combo units rarely are good for both. A friend has the sear mode on his pellet smoker but it's only over a small area of the grill. Your building from scratch so making two units fit should be fairly easy.

I have no experience with the pellet grills so I cannot offer any good advice there.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 26th, 2019, 10:34 pm

If I didn’t live at SmokerBuilder HQ , and I had a patio, I think I would want a Santa Maria grill, and then have a pellet cabinet smoker.

Most of the folks I cook for like mild smoke, and I love the set it and forget it of pellets.

Gas is for emergencies... lol. Just kidding.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 26th, 2019, 11:53 pm

Smoking and grilling are 2 different pieces of equipment. You can sometimes do both processes on either one but you will not be happy. You need a grill AND a smoker.

Think of it as a 8 inch chef knife and a 3 inch pairing knife. I can cut with both but would never peel a potato with a chef knife or dice an onion with a pairing knife unless I absolutely had to.

And I would stop cooking completely if I Was only able to have one!

secheron

Post by secheron » February 9th, 2020, 9:19 am

Electric grilling is getting more trendy these days as it allows you to grill your meal quickly and make it quite tasty. Electric grills for stakes take only a few minutes to grill your stakes without any hurdle of arranging charcoal as required in a charcoal grill or LPG gas in gas grills.

It’s not only a matter of charcoal or gas but also a matter of yummy food taste, which an electric grill is aimed to produce.

No matter it is summer or winter. Cooking steak on the indoor electric grill could be a great idea. Particularly for the food lovers who don’t have enough outdoor space to enjoy gas steaks or Barbecue. For those who are living in apartments, still want to enjoy indoor steaks but with less smoke and oil.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by JKalchik » February 9th, 2020, 10:58 am

Personally, I'm going with a smoker, and a grill, separate. While it looks like you can get some smokers to do a passable job at grilling, and some grills to do a passable job at smoking, I'm a big fan of right tool for the job. My double pan GF smoker turns out really good smoked food, and I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a big charcoal grill once the snow goes.

Having said all of that, I do have the space for both. I'd probably go nuts if I didn't.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine

Post by McBroom » February 9th, 2020, 3:13 pm

JKalchik wrote:Personally, I'm going with a smoker, and a grill, separate. While it looks like you can get some smokers to do a passable job at grilling, and some grills to do a passable job at smoking, I'm a big fan of right tool for the job. My double pan GF smoker turns out really good smoked food, and I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a big charcoal grill once the snow goes.

Having said all of that, I do have the space for both. I'd probably go nuts if I didn't.
^^^^This^^^^

Claud McBroom