Tell us a little about yourself!
TheBigToe
beginner
beginner
Title: Let me at it...
BBQ Comp Team Name: Don't compete

First Build

Post by TheBigToe » December 17th, 2018, 3:56 pm

ok.... here goes... I am a jack of all trades... master of none. I am a big guy who is used to moving whatever I lay hands on. I live in the country so I can do what I want. Strong 2nd amendment advocate. I am a real estate broker because I can't handle having a boss (other than Mrs Boss). Did 15 years as leo and seen enough garbage for me to know the world gets worse every day (some things people just shouldnt see or even know about). Have 2 boys... one is grown and out of the house and the other lives at home, has a real estate license, works with me, and is in college. He likes all things mechanical and is one of those its fun to bounce things off of just to see how his mind will work. They grew up watching me fix almost everything with duct tape and bailing wire. The young one didnt fll far from the tree in some ways...

I have a 250 gallon propane tank that is going to be my first project as a reverse flow smoker. I also have an old 2 horse side by side trailer (tandem axle) that I will cut down and build the beast on. I'm also thinking of making this a complete package with a griddle and grill on the other side. I will pull it with a 2002 F350 with a 7.3 that's pushing 350,000 miles, runs like a beast and is paid for. IF you read between the lines you just got my life story.

I am open to suggestions and it seems that buying the plans is the place to start. The tank has been empty for over a year. I have alternated it with water and dawn, water with TSP< and just sitting empty. It has been through that cycle several times now and is currently sitting empty. I know you guys are opinionated and look forward to the input. I am the type who takes a bit of what I like from everyone and put it all together.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: First Build

Post by ajfoxy » December 17th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Welcome to the crew! Look forward to your build.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » December 17th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Welcome

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 17th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Welcome aboard! A set of plans is a great place to start, it will give you all of the critical dimensions. You can always add things that you like from other guys builds to make it your own. I'm glad to hear that you are going to build a separate grill, a lot of guys want a single build to do everything and it just doesn't work very well. I look forward to watching your build progress.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » December 18th, 2018, 5:55 am

Welcome

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 18th, 2018, 11:27 pm

That is a big pit. I hope you don’t plan on cooking just for the family!

Welcome.

TheBigToe
beginner
beginner

Post by TheBigToe » March 13th, 2019, 11:28 am

Thanks guys... I am help with a lot of things for my church and youth group. Plus like to share our blessings with others.

Problem I have is this. The tank is a 1972 Wendland model. It is 30.5" diameter and 95 " long. There isnt a specific set of plans for a tank this size. Plans arent cheap and I dont want to buy the wrong ones. Can you recommend which set I would need. Also thoughts on a warming cabinet. It needs to have the firebox/warmer on the right side.

Thanks.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » March 13th, 2019, 5:55 pm

If there are no plans available then call Frank and he will make plans based on what you want. The other option is use the calculator on this site and draw up your own plans. Run your numbers pass the guy's on the forum before you start cutting.

Big T

Post by Big T » March 13th, 2019, 8:13 pm

:yth:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 13th, 2019, 11:27 pm

You can also cut some volume off the tank to size it down. I would PM Frank to get his imput.

And wow....a 250 with a warming box?? You could feed 750-1000 off that and still have leftovers. That is a big youth group!

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » March 14th, 2019, 4:11 am

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

TheBigToe
beginner
beginner

Post by TheBigToe » March 14th, 2019, 10:20 am

Everyone keeps commenting on the size. I've seen several guys with these sized (or. Igger) smokers in my area of west Texas. None have been reverse flow. Reverse flow seems to be the best option from the research I've done as far as consistent cooking. I dont have to completely fill it every time I use it.

I'm sorry guys... I'm too lazy to use the calculator. Why reinvent the wheel??? If something exists that works, why change it? The cost of the plans makes it a no brainer for this project.

Thanks Pete for the link. I saw that but didnt know if I should go down in plan size or up.

I'm new to this and want to do it right the first time. Warming box or no warming box? I'm open to suggestions and input. Let me have your thoughts please.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 14th, 2019, 11:05 am

Yes...definitely get the plans. I used them for my build and was confident in the fact that my hard work would not be wasted.

A warming box is up to you. I was just certain that I had to have it but after 3 years I find that I use it about 3-5% of the time. I once used the full capacity to cook meat but usually just throw a pan of beans or side in it because it's easier than opening the main cook chamber. Bottom line is I don't really need it, tho it is nice to have. If you are really going to cook for 500 people I would say it is necessary in order to keep sides warm/cooked. However, if you have a full kitchen on-site that is doing sides it's not really needed. You will have to determine what you will be doing with it. A warmer adds a bit of work and weight but can be closed off if you dont want to use it.

I love my reverse flow but talk with Frank. They built out a huge tank last summer (and it may still be for sale) and would have some great ideas for you. Again, PM him...he doesn't always join us here on the forum.

TheBigToe
beginner
beginner

Post by TheBigToe » March 15th, 2019, 1:22 pm

I sent him a PM. Thanks for the input.

TheBigToe
beginner
beginner

Post by TheBigToe » March 16th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Was going to post pics of the tank and trailer before I start but cant figure out how.... ideas? :jocomp2:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » March 16th, 2019, 3:42 pm

It’s easier if iphotos on same device.

Hit the ‘full editor& preview’ at the bottom of field then click on ‘attachments’ and finally ‘add files’

Locate your pictures then download and add to text.

This is on an iPad using traditional webpage. Tap talk is different from what I understand.

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine

Post by McBroom » March 16th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Dirtytires wrote:It’s easier if iphotos on same device.

Hit the ‘full editor& preview’ at the bottom of field then click on ‘attachments’ and finally ‘add files’

Locate your pictures then download and add to text.

This is on an iPad using traditional webpage. Tap talk is different from what I understand.
Yes adding pictures using Tapatalk on your phone you have to have the pictures on the phone. I’ve had trouble getting pictures from the cloud to load on to Tapatalk.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine

Post by McBroom » March 16th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Welcome Aboard from Denison Texas

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Big T

Post by Big T » March 16th, 2019, 9:09 pm

It's like the guys said, there are some variables but here's a video that may help you. https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... =50&t=1874
You should start a build thread and post your pictures on there. It'll be easier for others to find when they're looking for ideas.

TheBigToe
beginner
beginner

Post by TheBigToe » March 18th, 2019, 2:02 pm

20190316_122510.jpg
20190316_122012.jpg