New from NE Ohio

Tell us a little about yourself!
Buggs
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

New from NE Ohio

Post by Buggs » April 20th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Thank you for the add.
I’m thinking about building a smoker and ran across this site.
I’ve been smoking for about 2 years now and have out grown my present smoker, I’m leaning towards building in lieu of buying. I’m also see all kinds of info about reverse flow smokers and have become interested in the benefit of this type of smoker. Not sure of the type yet but that’s why I’m here looking and learning.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: New from NE Ohio

Post by Pete Mazz » April 21st, 2020, 3:46 am

:welcome:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » April 21st, 2020, 5:19 am

Welcome aboard.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 21st, 2020, 5:53 pm

Welcome to the crew! I really like my RF, it's has pretty even temps in the CC and you just can't beat the flavor of a stick burner. It's hard to decide what is the best cooker to build for yourself but it helps if you ask yourself a few questions. 1) Are you wanting something that's set it and forget it or do you mind tending a fire ? 2) What type fuel is readily available in your area ? Some guys struggle to find a good cooking wood in their area. 3) How many people do you cook for on a regular basis/ how big does it need to be ? 4) Is it going to stay on your patio or do you want to be able to cook at a different location ? There are plenty of other things to consider once you answer these questions but this should get you pointed in the right direction. Also you'll need to know your budget and how much work you can do yourself versus paying someone else to build it for you. Feel free to ask any questions that you might have and someone will try to help you out.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Buggs
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by Buggs » April 22nd, 2020, 9:56 pm

Thanks Big T, those are all great questions, I don’t mind tending a fire, not a lot of good cooking wood in the area, on average when the family is home it’s a total of 9 people and I would like to move it on occasion.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 22nd, 2020, 10:09 pm

You can run an offset with charcoal only but it’s not ideal. I did it for a few years with my small pit as I was too lazy to cut my logs down in length. Real wood makes a huge difference in taste. An offset also lends itself nicely to a trailer build.

If wood is an issue, a gravity feed runs on charcoal but is a real pain to load on a trailer unless you have a fork-lift or the likes.

A family of 9 would be easily fed off either type but would not think a drum smoker (another charcoal burner) would offer enough rack space, especially if you like ribs (and who doesn’t).

dacolson

Post by dacolson » April 23rd, 2020, 12:41 pm

I just finished building my first RF offset. Just from the fun factor alone, I highly recommend it. Already working on plans for a trailer offset. Got a great deal on tanks and trailer already. I find I can get oak logs fairly easily via Craigslist/FB Marketplace. Some split/seasoned, some not. Building a supply that can age as I use known good wood. Fun project on it's own. If you are buying stuff - wood, steel, casters, trailers, etc - on craigslist/Facebook, you have to keep an eye out and be prepared to buy when it comes up, not necessarily when you are ready. I end up with an odd assortment of steel plate/tubing but I also find great deals on wood when people are too lazy to cut and split trees that come down on their own property. Most everything gets used. I save a ton on cost for sure this way. Good luck and have fun. Looking forward to seeing your post when you start.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”