Another new guy

Tell us a little about yourself!
slowboat76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Another new guy

Post by slowboat76 » October 7th, 2012, 9:36 am

Hey everyone, I am slowboat and I will be starting on a grill/smoker soon. I have a 125 gallon abandoned propane tank which I believe is a little large for a grill but perfect for a smoker. The dimensions are 95" circumference by 42" (measuring each concave from outside to opposite outside. I am wanting to build a grill / smoker, but not sure if I can get desired results with 1 tank. I want to put in removeable coal tray for when I want to grill on it also, Anyway I have been looking around and listening. Thanks for letting me be a part of your community. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Another new guy

Post by Gizmo » October 7th, 2012, 9:52 am

Welcome slowboat! You're right - that's a big one for a grill but a great smoker size. Got any pics of it? :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by TuscaloosaQ » October 7th, 2012, 9:56 am

Welcome::: do you mean 24" OD by 95" long I have a feeling that is what we are talking about, I think you got the numbers are backwords. But if it is 24" OD which all of my 125s are you can absolutey do what you are talking abot with no problems. I would put my removeable coal tray just above my baffel pate, have some angel iron tracks to slide it out or like i did i just built my charcoal grates in three pieces and remove my cooking grates then remove my charcoal grates. Mine work perfectly!!!

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » October 7th, 2012, 10:01 am

Another way if you don't have the room is to make your baffle plate(s) and your charcoal grates removable and set up your side-rails so you can put in EITHER one of them depending on that day's cook... fwiw :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

slowboat76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by slowboat76 » October 7th, 2012, 10:23 am

On the measurement question I have it right, the outside circumference is 95 inches, and the length from end to end is 42 inches. It honestly looks just like the 250 gallon tank in my yard just half as long. The 42 inch measurement is total length but I think the pipe portion without the domed endcaps is 36 inches long. I will get some pics today when I go pull the bungs and fittings out and fill with water and soap. I am just having a tough time thinking through the multi use part of this. I know it would be a big grill but a couple times a year we cook up 400 steaks at a time and always need more cooking space.

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert

Post by TuscaloosaQ » October 7th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Then the diameter is roughly 30" + or- it is still ok for a smoker or smoke grill combo i personally think the size is great with the diameter being 30" you can have 2 slideout grates with plenty of room. I just built a patio model that was 24' diameter by 48" long it was fantastic. If I can figure ourt how to send those pics from my E-mail to phobucket then I will post some pics of it.

slowboat76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by slowboat76 » October 7th, 2012, 8:54 pm

TuscaloosaQ wrote:Then the diameter is roughly 30" + or- it is still ok for a smoker or smoke grill combo i personally think the size is great with the diameter being 30" you can have 2 slideout grates with plenty of room. I just built a patio model that was 24' diameter by 48" long it was fantastic. If I can figure ourt how to send those pics from my E-mail to phobucket then I will post some pics of it.
I would appreciate the pics immensely. for the reverse flow, does the tuning chamber run the entire length of the grill back to the opposite end of the fire box. and how does it then get distributed through the cooking chamber. I had also thought to make a 2 story fire box if you will, for adding a grate to grill right above the box when you got 3 or 4 steaks to cook hot and fast. oh well guys I am just spitballing here trying to see what might stick and what you guys will kick me out for...lol

maccas66
Expert
Expert
Title: Aussourian Plumber

Post by maccas66 » October 7th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Hey TQ, far be it for me to tell someone how to use a puter, but if you transfer the e-mail to a document file in your PC then select that as your source for photobucket to get the image! and if that doesn`t work try lots of beer I do! :beer:

wheres my manners, Welcome to the show Slowboat76!!!

" I`m so hungry, I`m farting fresh air!"

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » October 7th, 2012, 9:46 pm

Welcome to the site slowboat, Did I read something about 400 steaks. Yikes.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

slowboat76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by slowboat76 » October 7th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Smoker Tom wrote:Welcome to the site slowboat, Did I read something about 400 steaks. Yikes.
oh yeah we do about 2 customer appreciation meals a year and we cook ribeyes and baked potatoes, and texas toast on the grill for everyone. we started out with one small grill and now we have a 4' x 8' steak pit on a trailer.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » October 8th, 2012, 7:13 am

:beer: .... :welcome: ......

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert

Post by TuscaloosaQ » October 8th, 2012, 7:16 am

Slowboat76

The baffle plate runs the full length of the cook chamber. I stop mine at the far end where the head is welded to the shell. Then your stack is on the opposite end when opened it creates a draft pulling the heat down the cook chamber backwards (reverse flow) If you add charcoal grates you will need a second stack opposite the firebox that can be shutoff when smoking and open when grilling Dont know if your box above the firebox will get hot enough to cook steaks (I like to cook mine very hot and fast) But you could add a damper from firebox to warming chamber and it would do the job> I also have that setup on my big cooker. Hope this helps

slowboat76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by slowboat76 » October 15th, 2012, 9:17 pm

i have rinsed and soaped and repeated for 3 times now and have convinced myself that I can start cutting with the plasma cutter. I need a little guidance to get my door the right size, i keep coming up with 23.75 inches for right door and left door vertical measurements. This is outer circumference divided by 4 which will yield a door 1/4 th size of entire tank minus the end bells.With using the plasma cutter will i warp the door as bad as everything else. i want to run width from end bell to end bell and I think this measurement will be 38"which would yield a door 23.75 inches by 38". Does this sound right? Also where do you guys get your final measurements from to make sure the door is square with the world, Thanks in advance

SOILhunter
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Another new guy

Post by SOILhunter » October 16th, 2012, 6:38 am

I used a big framing square and a level to find 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock on my tank. If your doing slide out grates I've seen people recommend going 1" below 3 o'clock so your grate is back at 3 when your finished.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 16th, 2012, 6:47 am

I would say cut it in stitches leaving the rest until it cools then cut the rest. As for getting the door measurements right I use a curv-o-mark tool like this one: CURV O MARK STANDARD CENTERING HEAD | eBay . All you have to do it level the pipe and you set the level head on the tool to level where you want the first length wise line to be hit it with a hammer and move it to the other end and find the level agian hit it again. Presto you have a line that is absolutly striaght with the pipe length wise. Then just decide where you want the next line, and repeat. Lay out after first level of the pipe is about 5 minutes tops. I've done it many times it works well.

FWIW

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

DUAYNE B
Expert
Expert

Post by DUAYNE B » October 16th, 2012, 8:26 am

4X8 STEAK COOKER, thats a production, :welcome: :welcome: , lots of good guys and good info here, pick what works for your build and have fun

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » October 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

I just ordered a centerhead square off amazon. should be here later this week. awesome tool!
Here is the one I bought... Oshlun MTM-CSHQ 12-Inch Professional Combination Square Set

here is a pic of it...
centerhead square.jpg
here is TuscaloosaQ using his...
TQlayout tool.jpg

Return to “Introduce yourself!”