Heya from Thailand

Tell us a little about yourself!
PullMyPenang
beginner
beginner

Heya from Thailand

Post by PullMyPenang » August 28th, 2013, 5:16 am

Hey guys, I'm a Californian currently retired in Thailand and though I love the food here, one thing I really miss is good BBQ, so I'm looking to have a smoker built for me. I'm not a welder but materials and labor are pretty cheap here so I'm fairly sure with the right plans and a little translation I can get a nice little smoker built for a decent price. A commercial smoker is not an option so it's build it or go without.

I'll be digging around and doing some searching for specific questions but I figure I might as well toss out my preliminary plans and let you guys advise, warn, dash my dreams to dust, point me to useful threads, as appropriate :)

I'm thinking that if I'm gonna do this I might as well go for it so I'm thinking about a reverse flow offset set up. Thinking about something with a square smokebox about 1 meter x 35cm x 35cm with a 35x35x35cm firebox. Gotta think metric over here :) Planning to go with square because from what I have learned the overall cost and complexity of the build will be lower here that way. Plenty of 'shadetree' shops here that can weld sheets together for you into a box, few with equipment to make a cylinder from a sheet.

That is about as far as my plans have made it so far. This is a long term project, so lots of time to research before I jump in and set my dude to cutting and welding. Again any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

The pig; A wonderful, magical animal! Bacon, ham, chops, ribs, pulled, even crunchy ears for the dogs.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Heya from Thailand

Post by Gizmo » August 28th, 2013, 6:00 am

Welcome to the site!

Any thoughts of starting with a UDS so you've got something to use while you're building the "dream smoker" ?

I got a hunch you and your welder will learn so much about design/translation/materials doing a UDS that you will be much better informed for a more complex build. Once you share a little "Q" with them off the UDS they'll REALLY appreciate where you're going with the build…. jmtcw :D

BTW: If you build a metric cooker then you'll have to cook metric meat too …. just sayin' :rulz:

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » August 28th, 2013, 7:04 am

Welcome and Rick speaks truth with his words...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

PullMyPenang
beginner
beginner

Post by PullMyPenang » August 28th, 2013, 7:15 am

UDS is the backup plan if the big guy turns out to be too daunting of a task.

And since the meat is all sold by the kilo it should fit, right? :)

The pig; A wonderful, magical animal! Bacon, ham, chops, ribs, pulled, even crunchy ears for the dogs.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » August 28th, 2013, 7:45 am

According the international weights and measures standards act of 1839 …. prolly :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

PullMyPenang
beginner
beginner

Post by PullMyPenang » August 28th, 2013, 8:24 am

Well a few more hours of research are telling me that the experts are probably right. I'm not gonna be catering or doing any whole pigs anytime soon for one thing. With a UDS I could still be smoking meat faster than I can eat it and the cost will surely be a fraction of the monster I was thinking of. Leaving that much more to spend on my other tinkering project, a big aquarium.

Plus if I want to haul it over to a buddies house for a party I can move it by myself.

So the research has turned towards the UDS camp, with the big steel pig a dream to be realized some time in the future.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » August 28th, 2013, 12:03 pm

If you're into reading and research then buy Franks Video on how to make one. It would be invaluable knowledge to have when rounding up the parts to build yours. I'm not sure but you might be able to buy it online and download it too…. :D

http://smokerplans.net/

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » August 28th, 2013, 12:58 pm

You sure can find it there. It is a big download tho. Lol
Welcome to the site! I remember another member from Thailand also. I will try to find his username

PullMyPenang
beginner
beginner

Post by PullMyPenang » August 28th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Frank_Cox wrote:You sure can find it there. It is a big download tho. Lol
Welcome to the site! I remember another member from Thailand also. I will try to find his username
Pretty sure I saw his thread already. He built himself a nice smoker.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » August 28th, 2013, 7:39 pm

:welcome:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”