New to the site

Tell us a little about yourself!
breches
beginner
beginner
Title: Newb
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

New to the site

Post by breches » December 28th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Hello everyone! I am a Nebraska BBQ newbie. Have been smoking about a year and a half now with a home built offset made from a 300 gallon fuel barrel and a fuel tank off an old truck. I also us a Bradley when I am feeling lazy. Have considered installing some sheet metal into my offset and making it a reverse flow, but that is another problem. My current project is a big, heavy guage electrical cabinet I got from the local power company. It's outside dimensions are 29.5 inches wide, 29.5 inches deep and 89 inches tall. I am going to try to make an insulated, vertical, charcoal smoker out of this baby. Any helpful ideas would be good. I have been doing some research and always get overwelmed when I start digging around looking for ideas. I want to just start building but don't want to have to do it 5 time because of my inexperience. Any thoughts or advice would be great! Thanks much and I am very much enjoying all the help, ideas and info on your site. I really love it that people are willing to share their expertise with those of us that have very little. Thanks again.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: New to the site

Post by Frank_Cox » December 28th, 2011, 10:35 pm

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Glad to have you aboard! Edna's kid is also from Nebraska. on your cabinet build, I would try to go with a stumps if it was me. you can reference this thread for an Idea of how to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=404
You already have the outside of the box it sounds like so all you need to do is insulate it and line it with some plain old mild steel. prolly 20gauge.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » December 29th, 2011, 6:33 am

Welcome to the site! I'm in Kearney - we should talk! What Frank said sounds good and insulating is no big problem. A picture would sure help if you can post a few angles from your camera then we could be more help... rick :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

breches
beginner
beginner
Title: Newb
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by breches » December 29th, 2011, 6:51 am

I am northwest of York in a little town of 300 called Polk. Would love to get some ideas for you. Will try to get some pics of the cabinet on soon. Thanks...Brent

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » December 29th, 2011, 7:42 am

I just joined yesterday. I built a smoker from a 250 gal. oil drum. with the fire box on the back. I built it 3 years ago and it has been a work in progress. My team and I are considering makeing a side mount reverse flow with an auto feed carcoal box.

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » December 29th, 2011, 8:13 am

alleyrat58 wrote:I just joined yesterday. I built a smoker from a 250 gal. oil drum. with the fire box on the back. I built it 3 years ago and it has been a work in progress. My team and I are considering makeing a side mount reverse flow with an auto feed carcoal box.
WHOO HOO!!! I get to use this smilie again!!!! :hijack:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » December 29th, 2011, 7:28 pm

Now DC be nice LOL...
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: alleyrat! glad you joined the site!

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » December 29th, 2011, 7:42 pm

It's been awhile but YEAH - I know where Polk is - look forward to your sketches and hollar if you're in my area and I'll do the same :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 30th, 2011, 12:08 am

Welcome to the site breches, the toughest part of insulating a cabinet is getting the insulation.

Not sure what route I would take, if the outside of your in nice and you like it then I would insulate inside.
But
If your not 100% happy with it then I would space it out and put a new skin on the outside.
Kinda depends on if the inerds of ours is epoxy or maybe galv.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Return to “Introduce yourself!”