Tell us a little about yourself!
4-Barrel
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Blue-Blood Redneck

Howdy Y'all!

Post by 4-Barrel » June 22nd, 2015, 9:06 pm

Howdy Fellas,

Glad to be on board here! Thought I'd stop by here at the door and be social first before I came out of the gate blazing with 638,412,017 questions........... Frank, I apologize in advance if all them thar questions clogs up your server, but yes, I'm THAT green and clueless........ sorry!

I'm just your average middle-aged guy who's going through an early second childhood, and like ANY good childhood it involves setting things on fire. Which, of course, is probably the greatest reason I love grilling and BBQ'ing so much. It's definitely sumthin' where the journey is every bit as much fun as the destination!

A little background is in order, I suppose. Metalworking has been my life. I'm a welding school honor graduate, with 20+ years of professional welding experience and over 30 welding and welding-related certifications to my credit. For the past 4 of those years, I've been employed as a TIG welder fabricating polished stainless steel food processing equipment. I'm also a machinist with 6 years of experience, 5 of which were spent as a tool and die apprentice. My hobbies are knifemaking and woodturning. In addition to a metallurgy class I took in college, I study it as a hobby, which comes in really handy for a knifemaker. In summary, I guess you could say I learned a few things about the 'metallic arts' here and there along the way.

As I mentioned, I obviously love BBQ, and always get plum giddy throwin' down on some pulled pork sammies whipped up from my cabinet smoker. I'm one of those total obsessive-compulsive freaks when it comes to BBQ, way beyond just 'picky,' waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond even being a BBQ snob. I'm actually more of an absolute BBQ jerk, truth be known, and I'm my own worst critic.

Which keeps me humble... O:-)

Only problem is, I get funny stares from my family when I start arguments with myself about how my latest cook turned out. Of course, I know the voices in my head aren't real, but sometimes they DO have some great ideas. :ymdaydream:

Anyway, I'm tickled to have found this forum. I looked at a few BBQ forums back a couple years ago, but never did see this nifty one on specifically BUILDING SMOKERS. That's just the coolest thing I've ever seen, especially with the dilemma I'm facing..........read all about it on the RF Smokers forum!

Thanks guys, and have a great day!

4-Barrel

Southern fried catfish - the other white meat!

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Howdy Y'all!

Post by Puff » June 22nd, 2015, 9:58 pm

Hi 4-barrel,

You will have some of this stuff down pat. I'm still getting thru the welding part. Looks like your gonna find a great selection of stuff to try out. Welcome :welcome: did you build your cabinet smoker? Picts really help

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 22nd, 2015, 10:42 pm

:welcome:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

4-Barrel
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by 4-Barrel » June 23rd, 2015, 12:47 am

Puff wrote: did you build your cabinet smoker? Picts really help

Howdy Puff,

Naw, actually the cab I have now is an El Cheapo factory build. I'm actually gettin' kinda tired of it, so I might have to remedy that in the form of a nice winter project. I have built some nice cabinets before, but alas, they were for other people. The coolest ones were built from old fire hose dryer ovens, which are double-walled and insulated, including the doors. They would effortlessly lock in at 230°, and maintain it all day with very little babysitting.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 23rd, 2015, 7:29 am

Sounds like you will fit right in!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » June 23rd, 2015, 11:13 am

Welcome 4Barrel....I hear voices...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » June 23rd, 2015, 9:23 pm

Been thinkin about building a forge. How hard is knife making? Another hobby I don't need.

4-Barrel
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by 4-Barrel » June 25th, 2015, 12:39 am

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, guys! :-h
SmokinFF wrote::welcome:
Been thinkin about building a forge. How hard is knife making?
It's a WHOLE lot harder than it looks. Becoming proficient at grinding even a simple blade geometry requires a lot of practice, patience and skill, and you WILL scrap a few in the process along the way.

Also, to tool up a decent enthusiast-level knife shop is very expensive; you'll need at least a drill press, bench vise, knifemaker's vise, 9" disc sander (preferably variable speed), a buffer (also preferably variable speed), small air compressor, a bandsaw capable of cutting 1/4" steel, a heat treat oven with a good controller, lots of quality hand tools and cutting tools, a small fortune in abrasives, and finally the essential centerpiece of the shop: a 2" x 72" variable speed belt grinder with a 10" contact wheel, flat platen, slack-belt, and small wheel attachments. That final item alone will run you around $5000 depending on the brand. Add another $1000 for a few other handy sizes of contact wheel.

Forging is a whole other can of worms altogether, whose admission price is well beyond that of the forge itself, whether DIY or commercially made. A lotta forgers start out with an anvil improvised from old piece of railroad track set in a heavy stand filled with sand, and it does work kinda sorta OK. A good anvil is worth its weight in gold, and will cost you about that much! Bigger and heavier is always better, and the cost skyrockets with size and quality. A decent (not junk Chinese cast iron) 120 lb. anvil will run you nearly $500 new, while a top-grade 250 lb. anvil will cost about $1500.

You'll also need quality forging hammers (yes, proper Swiss and/or Japanese style forging hammers), tongs, stakes, and other tools. There's a lot of metallurgical knowledge and technique that must be mastered, besides the actual forging skills themselves. To make pattern-welded steel (Damascus), a hydraulic press and a power hammer are mandatory. Add another $10,000 there for good USED equipment.

Now that I've completely discouraged you, disregard and forget everything I said in the last 3 paragraphs (paragraph #1 still applies!). To get your feet wet in knifemaking doesn't require much money or equipment, it just takes time and effort. You can make some very nice knives using nothing more a hacksaw, files, sandpaper, bench vise, some improvised jigs and tools, etc.

Most guys begin their journey with pre-ground and heat treated kit blades purchased from good dealers like Jantz Supply or USA Knifemaker Supply. You simply add handle scale material and pins, and do all the handle shaping and finishing. As long as it's a full tang knife with a simple handle geometry, you can do everything you need to do with a hacksaw, a vise, a good assortment of quality files and sandpapers, and a small drill press. A small combination belt sander/disc sander and a variable speed Dremel or Foredom tool are VERY helpful indeed, but plenty of old-fashioned elbow grease will get you through it if you don't have these.

Granted, it's not a true handmade knife, but it's a stellar learning experience you won't get anywhere but with hands-on working, and something you'll be proud of and will enjoy using. And, that'll let you know if you truly want to take it to the next level with profiling, grinding (or filing), and finishing your own blades from scratch.

My advice is to lurk around some places like Blade Forums and Knife Network, and read/learn all you can. If it looks like something you're interested in, you might invest in some good books on the topic. Step-by-Step Knifemaking by David Boye, The $50 Knife Shop and The Wonder of Knifemaking by Wayne Goddard, and How To Make Knives by Bob Loveless are classic volumes.

Perhaps the best thing you can do is find a local knifemaker and ask if you can visit their shop. Most are happy to share their knowledge with newbies interested in the craft. That creedo is a definite part of knifemaking culture, and makers who are rude and snobby to newbies are highly frowned upon by the knifemaking community at large, as is saying anything negative about other makers, or even so much as the slightest dishonesty in anything whatsoever that involves your knives, including your business practices. Most members of even the more open and informal associations such as the Arkansas Custom Knifemaker's Association won't see much humor in it, and if you're a member of the Knifemaker's Guild you probably won't be for much longer. They'll filet you alive with your own knife, and then tan your hide and make sheaths out of.

In other words, most of your serious knifemakers will always exhibit friendly and ethical behavior, not just because it's good for business but because they know it's expected by their peers and it's part of a common culture.

However, despite the fact that most are genuinely very friendly souls, don't occupy a full-time maker for more than 30 minutes on your first visit (unless they invite you to stay longer) as most are very busy and always running behind, especially if they've got an upcoming show to make knives for. That's doubly so for forgers (bladesmiths), as making a forged blade requires much more time and concentration than a stock-removal blade made from a profile-cut piece of flat stock.

This is especially true for ABS (American Bladesmith Society) Mastersmiths (M.S.) and Journeyman Smiths (J.S.), as their knives are much in demand and most all have very long waiting lists, ranging from several months up to 3 or 4 years. Keep in mind that these guys are the elite of the knifemaking world, and will sometimes only instruct at the intermediate level or higher. Many who do teach will only do so with student groups; they do not do private lessons. And, they usually charge for such instruction, and deservedly so considering their top-shelf skill and knowledge. But, most are completely open to just showing someone around their shop for a few minutes. Just be sure to call and arrange a convenient time for them first.

While at a maker's shop for the first time, take notice of any small chores that you can see need done around the place, like sweeping the floor, grinding bench, forging area, etc., and then volunteer to do it for them while you converse as thanks for sharing their time. Bring a thank you gift (like some good Q!) and present it upon leaving, and I can guarantee you'll have a buddy for life who'll have no problem with helping you out.

I see from your profile you're in Missouri, and there are LOTS of great makers there. Many are ABS bladesmiths, such as Richard Ramsey in Neosho, Gary Mulkey in Branson, and the great Don Hanson III, M.S., in Houston. Jody Muller, J.S., is one of the best folding art knife makers in the nation, and I think he lives somewhere around West Plains. Do a Google for Missouri knifemakers, and I'm sure you'll turn up a treasure trove. Also, post on a knifemaking forum asking if there are any makers near your location.

At any rate, it's a very rewarding hobby, albeit a rather difficult and frustrating one at times. Kinda like BBQ......... :|

4-Barrel

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » June 25th, 2015, 4:53 am

Wow, very informative. Thanks a bunch. It still may be an endeavor I may try, just don't know how deep I'll get. Thanks again for the info. :beer;

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » June 25th, 2015, 6:35 am

Welcome

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 25th, 2015, 8:49 am

Wow, I better stay away from that hobby. I love good knives though. My wife doesn't like me to look at them, because she knows I'll pay just about whatever the tag is for if I like it. Hundreds of dollars for 1 knife isn't too much if that is what you like.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » June 26th, 2015, 1:15 am

Ditto RC
My dad has made a handful of knives. He used deer antlers for the handle. 4 Barrel tho is taking it to a whole mother level. My dad made his friends and me a knife each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Post by Pennywise » June 30th, 2015, 12:42 pm

I love you as a person already 4-Barrel.

Knives and BBQ are my 2 favorite things after alcohol consumption. I like activities that involve all 3.

Welcome aboard, and can't wait to read more.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”