New to the Forum and first question :)

Tell us a little about yourself!
CharcoalTodd
beginner
beginner

New to the Forum and first question :)

Post by CharcoalTodd » July 2nd, 2015, 8:53 pm

HI everyone,

My name is Todd and I'm brand new to building my own smoker. This forum seems like an invaluable source to do so. I'm very pleased to now be apart of the club. I'm excited to learning new things and developing new relationships! Thank you and I'm honored to be a member. For my first questions is there a smoker DIY build that I can be referred to? I want to build a reverse flow smoker. Thank you everyone!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: New to the Forum and first question :)

Post by Big T » July 2nd, 2015, 10:47 pm

:welcome: There are plenty of pictures and information in the RF build section and the guys on here will be more than happy to answer any questions. There's also a link on the main page to smokerplans.net and there are plans for all type's of smokers on there.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » July 3rd, 2015, 4:23 am

:welcome:

Are you starting with a clean slate or do you have a tank of some kind already? If you don't have a tank yet, first decide how much space you need for the amount of food you'll cook. Portability is another factor you may want to think about. Do you have access to a metal supplier? Can you weld? Budget?

Let us know and we can help.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » July 3rd, 2015, 6:58 am

Welcome and check out all the threads in the RF section.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Post by Pennywise » July 3rd, 2015, 10:42 am

Hi. Glad you found us.

CharcoalTodd
beginner
beginner

Post by CharcoalTodd » July 3rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Wow, thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. Thank you @big T I will check out the RF thread section for ideas!

@Pete Mazz! I'm starting from a clean slate. As far as size I've been interested in the Lang style 36" cooker with warming box, that style turns me on. :grillin: budget I would hope would be much less than the price of a professional cooker. In regards to portability I am looking to have it be stationary in my backyard. I do not have any current connections to a metal supplier, and welding would be new to me. I am excited!

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » July 3rd, 2015, 7:20 pm

Welcome

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 3rd, 2015, 7:24 pm

Welcome to the crew, sounds like you're going to have a great experience.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

CharcoalTodd
beginner
beginner

Post by CharcoalTodd » July 3rd, 2015, 8:09 pm

Thank you Thank you Thank you! Seems like I will be in a bit over my head with welding. I don't have a welder would something like this be appropriate, "115-volt wire-feed welder". What would you all recommend?

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » July 3rd, 2015, 8:35 pm

Welcome, with my limited welding experience and waiting to build my first pit myself, I have done some practicing. I have a Miller 211 mig, it is a 110/220, so it does both which I love. The 110 works great for smaller gauge metal but doing 1/4 in or larger, I have seen putting it to the 220 works much better not saying 110 would not do it. I would think it would take much longer and probably will not be as clean of a bead/weld. Just from my limited welding experience.

CharcoalTodd
beginner
beginner

Post by CharcoalTodd » July 3rd, 2015, 9:05 pm

Hey thank you WyomingLawDog. I did a quick search of the miller welder you mentioned previously. That seems a little out of my price range. But, nonetheless a legit piece of equipment. Not gonna lie I'm getting a little bit discouraged. I will have to gain some good friends down here in South Florida in case I run into some parts of the build where I need help! I really appreciate your response and will take it into great consideration WLD!

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » July 4th, 2015, 6:26 am

One way to learn and use top of the line equipment is to take a class at the local tech school. I haven't done it myself but the guy I bought my welder from many moons ago was taking classes just to use their machine shop.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 4th, 2015, 7:46 am

I live in Orlando but I get around. I'd be glad to help if I can.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

CharcoalTodd
beginner
beginner

Post by CharcoalTodd » July 4th, 2015, 8:14 am

What a great idea mp4. I'll have to look into what local technical schools are offering in regards to welding. That's a huge tip, thank you so much!

Rodcrafter! That's an amazing offer. I still don't have any build materials yet. I'm currently going through plans on the forums sister website.

I have another question though. In comparison to price... Typically are DIY smoker builds less money than professional style cookers? I really don't know how much parts for DIY cookers cost... I understand time invested can be huge, but that's part of the fun. Thoughts?

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » July 4th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Don't get discouraged, I think a welding class would be great for you to learn at and they might even let you build the smoker as a project in class. Price depends on metal cost, I will probably be around the cost of a new smoker building it myself but that is including my new Miller 211 welder that I will have to do other projects with, that is included in the cost. Just take it slow and figure out what size smoker you need. Let me tell you, I have not built a smoker yet that took anytime. To get you running you might want to look into building a UDS, they don't cost much to build to get going and turn out damn good Q. You can even buy the bolt on parts where no welding is required, just drill holes and bolt on the parts. Just some things to think about, I built the UDS to get me by until I build a bigger smoker that I want, waiting on some plans.

4-Barrel
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Blue-Blood Redneck

Post by 4-Barrel » July 4th, 2015, 6:14 pm

Howdy CharcoalTodd,

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

On the topic of welding equipment, another option is to search out some used gear. You'll get a lot more machine for the money, as welding equipment usually doesn't hold its resale value very well. I know that buying a welding machine would put you over budget as far as your current project goes. But as WyomingLawDog noted, if it's possible to do so you might consider it as a separate, stand-alone investment in good tools for both present and future use.

Craigslist is a good place to look, if you know somebody who is knowledgeable about welding equipment and is willing to help you. I myself would be happy to; just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Also, local welding supply stores will often have used equipment they've taken on trade-in. Let 'em know what you're looking for, and they'll keep an eye out for it even if they're not really gonna make any money off the deal. Remember, they know you'll be buying supplies and consumables from them if they help out a little with your search.

Although more expensive to buy than a stick machine, I too would go with a used MIG for several reasons. Less operator skill required, no weld cleanup required, faster weld bead deposit, and the ability to weld everything from 16 gauge to 1/2" steel with a single wire size and shielding gas. You don't have to buy different type and/or size rods, and don't have to worry about them deteriorating over time.

I've used several brands and models of 110V-only machines, and IMHO none of 'em really cut the mustard on steel over 1/8" thick. Provided you have a proper 220V hookup, probably the best bang-for-the-buck used MIGs you can invest in are the Miller Millermatic 251 and ESAB Migmaster 250. The Millermatic 251 has a little bit better arc characteristic than the older 250, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the 250. Of course, if you could find an old Millermatic 200 that the feed motor wasn't worn out on, it would be cheap AND would probably last another 30 years. Those things were built like tanks, and every one I've used welded great.

Despite ESAB's poor brand reputation, the Migmaster 250 is quite a good machine, with a nice arc characteristic. I can tell you from experience they've made some real turkeys, but that ain't one of 'em.

Any of these will run you far under a grand in good condition, and will probably have many years of good service left. JM2C.
WyomingLawDog wrote:Don't get discouraged, I think a welding class would be great for you to learn at and they might even let you build the smoker as a project in class.
GREAT idea! Also, when I was in welding school we frequently built things for people for cost of materials alone. The school not only accepted this practice but strongly encouraged it, so its students could get real-world hands-on experience from outside the actual learning program itself. The machine shop, auto repair, and auto body programs did it as well. Although not required, it was customary to make a small donation to the class as it was saving you a TON of money versus having professionals do it.

So, even if you didn't take something like a night class in welding, you might be able to have your smoker built as an "experience project" by the welding program of a local trade school. You wouldn't have the satisfaction of doing it yourself, but it could possibly be quite economical. All you'd have to do is buy the plans and the steel, and they'd take care of the rest. Then, have the auto body class paint it.

4-Barrel

Southern fried catfish - the other white meat!

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » July 5th, 2015, 11:52 am

Welcome CharcoalTodd!
As always some great advise on here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » July 5th, 2015, 7:48 pm

I'd highly recommend a UDS to start with. Start cranking out good Q while you gather tools and material to build the big one.

CharcoalTodd
beginner
beginner

Post by CharcoalTodd » July 11th, 2015, 11:25 am

Sorry for the delay on responding. I was visiting back home for the past week. I really have to look into local trade schools for classes or as recommended previously to have the shop do the build as an experience project. This forum has been priceless! The rec on the UDS. I'm strongly considering it. Perhaps in the meantime I'll go that route or modify my Weber kettle! This forum is awesome!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 11th, 2015, 12:18 pm

Cool, sounds like you have your assignments in order. Most of all have fun with it.

Making memories.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » July 12th, 2015, 10:10 am

Welcome aboard!
guys have got you statred down the right path for sure. I do also recommewnd a UDS to start with. you can build them from parts from local hardware stores on the cheap! you may even have everything you need laying around. here's a couple threads that will help get you started.....
Click here : here's how we used to build them
Click here : here's a good template

If you want to buy a screw together kit just to get your feet wet then here's a link to it. we manufacture all the parts all you need is a drum.....
Click here : UDS Ugly Drum Smoker Parts kit, screw, rivet, or weld together

CharcoalTodd
beginner
beginner

Post by CharcoalTodd » July 12th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Thank you Frank_Cox! I'm gonna look at the links you posted right now! I'm Pumped!