First build, stick burner 72" x 30" RF offset

Tell us a little about yourself!
BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

First build, stick burner 72" x 30" RF offset

Post by BitBucket » August 17th, 2015, 3:50 pm

Hello,

I started building my first reverse flow offset stick burner this summer. I've never used one before, and living in Alaska these things are not so easy to find. Pricing one from outside, it would cost me almost as much to ship to buy, so I decided to build my own. Right now I cook on a ceramic egg, which is great but I just can't cook the volume of food I want nor is it terribly portable.

Early this spring I got two sets of plans from Smokingplans.net, the FFMS Lone Star Special Hybrid and Big Bull's Smokin' BBQ Machine and after a ton of thinking about what I wanted, took what I liked from both models to make my build. Even though both of those sets of plans have them, Right now I'm not including a warming cabinet in my build. My thinking is because this is my first RF Offset stick burner, I'll start with just the main parts and learn what it takes to get a good cook (keep it simple first) then add the warming chamber and see how things change so I don't have so many variables as I learn.

From the FFMS LSS:
Dual doors
Firebox-to-cookchamber damper design
Grate/rack system.
From Big BUll's:
Cook Chamber length
Baffle plate (after long thought about tuning plates from the FFMS, I just felt like trying to move those or have them bounce around on rough Alaska roads and maybe fall into the bottom of the smoker made me pass on the tuning plate concept).
Stack design

The firebox design was very similar, but I kept the larger of the two.

Build:
After refitting my garage for metal fabrication (getting rid of anything that would burn and coming up with a solution for power for welding, I started buying steel.
So far I have used:
3ea. 4x8 sheets of 1/4" mild steel plate
36 ft of 4" 'medium' channel
21 inches of 6"x6"x1/4" box iron
about 15' of 2"x1/4" flat bar
about 15' of 3"x3"x1/4" box iron
I had a local tank manufacturer roll me a 30" diameter x 72" long round cooking chamber.

My build has not been all that linear or organized--I had flat plate before the trailer parts came in, so I started cutting out plate parts and then switched to trailer, which drifted to cooking chamber just based on what made the most sense to do, which was dependent on if i was working alone or had help and so on.

Next up is counterbalances for the doors and more permanent attachment of the cooking chamber to the trailer frame. (its just tack welded now)

I have an album that shows all of the pics below and more: Sorry for the monster link, but the shortened version appears to have broken. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... Y5cFVnVzVR

...and here comes some pics on the build in chronological order--feel free to ask questions or offer suggestions. Well--here goes, be gentle I'm not a welder by trade or anything, it's just a project I felt I had to try.

Source drawings
First plate layout
First firebox plate
Trailer components arrived--started construction
Best chance I'll have to paint the underside, so I took it
Rolls nice! In later pictures you may note the fenders are over-long and warped. That still needs fixing but is not a terribly big priority at this time. Street legal is 2nd to cook-ready by a long shot.
Cooking chamber eased down to the trailer. I don't have any equipment or hoists, so it was about cribbing and jacking to get it in place.
Showing offset of cooking chamber. Other side will have some boxes/baskets for storage
Some test fit of firebox parts. TONS of grinding to do yet on the firebox stuff, but it sure was nice to start seeing shapes out of flat parts.
Door layout. These doors are stretched from the FFMS Lone Star to compensate for the Big Bob's cook chamber length.
Door pre-cuts. I didn't cut the corners or middle sections and then let the whole thing cool and put side straps and stuff on. I did lots of reading about cutting the doors and didn't want them to spring or warp, so I tried everything I could to keep it from happening. They turned out really nice.
Got some handles on, although I'm going to have to move them down or dog-leg the mounts down. Testing showed wrists touch the bottom of the strap when the door is wide open, so I have to redo that part.

I have a ton of things I'm thinking about: Counter weight size/shape/position has changed from drawings since I stretched the door length. Storage shape/size/configuration and so on, as well as already planning what enhancements I want to make next year even though it's not done yet (including insulation and a pop-up awning) but that's another post. That's all for now, I'll post updates as things progress. Cheers and thanks for reading this far,

BitBucket
Last edited by BitBucket on March 30th, 2017, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: First build, stick burner 72" x 30" RF offset

Post by Pete Mazz » August 17th, 2015, 4:47 pm

Very nice!!!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by forty_creek » August 17th, 2015, 5:12 pm

Strong Work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun

Post by Smurf » August 17th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Bb your off to a very nice start. Looking forward to seeing this completed. :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » August 17th, 2015, 7:05 pm

This is coming along nicely....congratulations on your planning and cut layout... I like that idea. I'm guessing that you are
re calculating any volume changes in your plans against the pit calculator simply to insure your adjusted dimensions lay out properly?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 17th, 2015, 7:18 pm

:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » August 17th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Puff wrote:This is coming along nicely....congratulations on your planning and cut layout... I like that idea. I'm guessing that you are
re calculating any volume changes in your plans against the pit calculator simply to insure your adjusted dimensions lay out properly?
Puff,

Thanks for your comments!

Since I used the Big Bull's plan set cooking chamber, layout, baffle plate, and fire/cooking aperature dimensions (just with the FFMS Lone Star doors (stretched longer) and cookchamber-to-firebox damper design), I just used the Big Bull's firebox and stack dimensions. I did double check those against the online calculator and was within tolerances as designed. (hopefully I didn't miss anything there but it looked ok!)

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

4-Barrel
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Blue-Blood Redneck

Post by 4-Barrel » August 17th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Very nice indeed. She's gonna be a real beauty!

4-Barrel

Southern fried catfish - the other white meat!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » August 18th, 2015, 9:24 am

It looks like you'll have a very nice rig when done. I know you are getting stoked about now in this process.

Welcome to the crew!

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by BitBucket » August 24th, 2015, 1:21 pm

Progress update: Most of this week was surface cleaning, the outside and inside of the cooking chamber is alot of square footage and I needed to get it cleaned up because soon it will be harder to get at. There is some more visible progress though on counterweights:

Bracing I set up so I could get the counterweight arms even with the world. This was probably the most difficult thing of the build yet. My interpretation of the plans didn't quite work out as seen here--the doors stopped at forehead level which was bad.

After some tacking and tinkering, these are further down the doors, and they clear my head when open.

TONS of grinding and welding to do, ignore what you see at the door/support joints please, it'll look nicer than this. You looked didn't you? :( Anyway, I'm using 25" of 1/4" x 6" tube steel as counterweight, sunk down onto the support arms (increases storage clearance on the back side of the smoker and also helps it clear my garage doors). Here's a test fit, doors closed)

And doors open--everything seems to be lining up pretty well.

I'll keep updating...

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 24th, 2015, 8:22 pm

It's really coming together nice. I always have to adjust the counter weights a couple of times before I get them right .

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » August 25th, 2015, 12:41 pm

You have plenty of room for scrap steel in those 6" tubes that's for sure.

Nice work! :beer:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » August 25th, 2015, 5:17 pm

I like the 6" tubes!

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » August 25th, 2015, 5:23 pm

That's what she said

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » August 25th, 2015, 7:31 pm

Man, Czar... Been missing those left handed comments...perfect!

And those 6" tubes do seem just right

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » August 26th, 2015, 3:23 pm

off to a great start, :kewl:

pawatch
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by pawatch » August 30th, 2015, 4:34 pm

Thanks for sharing your build.
:LG:

FATNECK
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by FATNECK » August 30th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Good looking build going on. Keep up the good work.

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by BitBucket » August 31st, 2015, 1:32 pm

Thanks all for your replies and encouragement.

Here's what's been done in the last week:

The giant 'warp nacelle' counterweights are welded on--doors open 1-handed. I'm not putting the end caps on yet--I need to extend/move the door handles (my wrists make contact with steel when I open them, that would be BAD if hot) and add hoods for the thermometers and such, so I have to be able to add weight still.

I also got permanent support brackets put on the cooking chamber. It was only tack welded to the trailer frame until now. I don't have pictures of those at this time--basically I took some of the 4" medium channel left over from trailer construction and cut it at an angle, ground a curve into it to match the cook chamber, and welded it between the frame and the cook chamber.

Saturday was kind of fragmented on progress. Since my 2nd pair of hands is going out of state for 3 weeks, we tried to get to get as much heavy stuff to the point where I could move forward without help. Hence focus on baffle plate and fire box.

Baffle Plate: If you look back at my layout pictures, there's a long slender piece of scrap left over, and I took two of those and put in a slight 'v' and welded them together for the baffle plate, and got some angle iron in the cook chamber and slid it in for test fit--I think it's going to be perfect. I debated whether that 'v' would mess with heat and smoke dispersion but for easy draining and cleanup it seemed like a good idea, and it's fairly shallow.

For the firebox, I learned a hard lesson that I seem doomed to repeat at least once per project--tack EVERYTHING FIRST, weld ONCE. We got a bit hasty on the back plate of the firebox and instead of being INSIDE of the left/right sides like the front plate, one side was INSIDE and one side was OUTSIDE, and we didn't notice until three full seams were done. (Sigh). I'm still working on undoing that. I blew out the welds with the plasma cutter, but I haven't gotten all the subsequent cleanup started yet. It was fun to let my build buddy handle the MIG welder (I have a Millermatic 211), he's only used a stick ever in his life, and was really having a good time here. Sadly it's his welds I had to turn around and blast with the plasma cutter, but such is life.

I also got caught by the weather. Here in Fairbanks, Alaska the daytime temps have been dropping--it hung around 45 degrees on Saturday, and we'd been working with the garage door open. I was dressed in a t-shirt and welding shirt for about 6 hours. Working around hot metal gave me a false sense of warmth, with a light sweat being wicked away on my back as I worked, I realized about 5 in the afternoon I was really cold with my feet being the coldest then my legs. Being an Alaskan I recognized the symptoms of the onset of hypothermia right away and got my butt inside and warmed up, but I had to curl up on the couch with a blanket for about 4 hours to be fully warm again. I won't be making that mistake again!

More updates as I progress.

--

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » August 31st, 2015, 1:52 pm

Yea that's freakin crazy to think of in late August down here Louisiana! Glad you shut down in time!
Strong Work!

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by BitBucket » August 31st, 2015, 2:01 pm

forty_creek wrote:Yea that's freakin crazy to think of in late August down here Louisiana! Glad you shut down in time!
Strong Work!

forty_creek, yeah--I'm running out of snow-free days to get this thing fired up this year. I had frost on my windshield this morning, another reminder to get this project to the Tasty Goodness phase ASAP.

--

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » August 31st, 2015, 2:39 pm

Wow, that is strange to deal with that sorta weather. You're doing great on your cooker.

Making memories.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » August 31st, 2015, 9:26 pm

You are running low on time regarding temps. My dad and I had planned a trip to Barrow for over 25 yrs. , and almost got there once... Things change quickly good luck. I keep that weather app on the phone with three sites 1.) our old place in VT...2.) Rutherford, CA and 3.) Barrow, Ak. 36 there right now at 10:26 EST. I love that.

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by BitBucket » September 1st, 2015, 1:32 pm

Puff, I've been in Alaska for about (holy crap has it been that long?) 39 years and still haven't made it to Barrow. The 'haul road' linking Fairbanks to the north slope is pretty brutal and I've never been inclined to fly up either, so I'm right there with you. Except about loving the temps, I could do with another month of 60s and not complain a bit!

--

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 1st, 2015, 8:06 pm

Birds of a feather...as they say. My wife and I love the cold weather. I envy that lifestyle...enjoy it! Had a two friends that worked on the pipeline in the early 1970s. I was too young to make that leap then but their stories were always inspiring and the pictures even more so.