Hey y'all I have a very unique start for my first build

Tell us a little about yourself!
KingSmoke
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Hey y'all I have a very unique start for my first build

Post by KingSmoke » March 9th, 2017, 7:17 pm

I figured it was time to introuce myself since I am about to start a build thread. My name is Justin and I am a smoked meat addict.

I'm 29 years old and happily married, no kids, at least not any 2 legged ones.

I am no stranger to BBQ, My very first real job was at a BBQ restaurant when I was 15. I have been addicted ever since then. I am currently cooking on a Weber Smokey Mountain. It has met my needs well, for the most part. Not being able to lay more than 1 rack of ribs flat on the grate is frustrating though. I don't want to twist and roll them. I also cant easily fit a whole packer cut brisket on this thing. I have been wanting to either buy or build a larger smoker for quite sometime now.

I began researching and of course stumbled upon this site and its wealth of knowledge. This place is awesome. I decided I wanted to build a decent size trailer mounted smoker. Something in the 200 gallon size range. I began asking around trying to source a propane tank. Well, talking to a friend that owns a heat treating business, he offered to give me one of his old vacuum heat treating furnaces. I thought he was joking but he is dead serious. He bought it well used for parts as he has another furnace just like it.

It is a beast. Not necessarily size wise, but it's built like a tank. Then entire thing is stainless. It has a jacket so it's double walled and the airspace in the jacket will act as insulation itself, or I could pull a vacuum on it and it would be even more insulated. Inside dimensions are roughly 33.5 wide, by 50 deep. It is going to require a good bit of fabrication to make it work though.

I am a fairly competent welder and have being welding for years. I can mig tig stick, you name it. I don't currently have access to a mig machine large enough to weld anything this thick so I may have to stick everything.

The way the furnace is designed with the inlets and outlets is where I am stuck. I do not know what design will fit this vessel best.

I mainly smoke pork butts, ribs, and brisket and wings. I like the idea of a warming cabinet over the firebox but I don't know if this thing is going to be suitable for that design without having to cut the whole back end off of it, which I don't want to do.

Anyways here are some pictures. I am all ears for suggestions. Once I figure out what style will work the best then Ill start a build thread in the appropriate forum.
Attachments
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG

Stewart
Expert
Expert

Re: Hey y'all I have a very unique start for my first build

Post by Stewart » March 9th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Little nip here and tuck there and you could have a smoker that looks like a piglet lol. But seriously you could make a slide out rack on the end door side and fit a firebox on the opposite side. It's definitely a unique shape. And welcome to the crew

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 9th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Stewart, thanks for the welcome! I know that I want 2-3 sliding racks. My main concerns are whether the current inlets can be utilized at all or if I need to cut and cap them. Right now I am thinking of doing a reverse flow with firebox at the rear. This design would make all the inlets on this thing useless though.

I also have to be mindful of weight and how its distributed on a trailer. I think it weighs about 1500 lbs. Shoot, just the door on it prob weighs 300lbs. I am moving it over to my workspace in the next few days and I will be able to weigh it.

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » March 9th, 2017, 8:54 pm

:welcome:

That thing is sweet.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 9th, 2017, 9:02 pm

temurf wrote::welcome:

That thing is sweet.
Thanks, I think so too. It's going to be quite a project, but I am excited about tackling it.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 9th, 2017, 9:48 pm

:welcome: It's a tough call on what style to build from this vessel. I'm drawing a blank but maybe some of the other guys will have some good ideas.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » March 10th, 2017, 4:14 am

If you took the door off and made that the FB end then use the opening at the end for a stack you could do a traditional offset. You could possibly do a CF if the opening on the side is large enough.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 10th, 2017, 5:16 am

Pete Mazz wrote:If you took the door off and made that the FB end then use the opening at the end for a stack you could do a traditional offset. You could possibly do a CF if the opening on the side is large enough.
This is definitely an option, but I'd really like to keep the door if possible. I think it adds to the cool factor, plus the convenience of it already being there and being one less thing to fabricate.

A question for all, if I were to put the firebox at the opposite end of the door, is that opening with the flange too low for the exhaust?

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » March 10th, 2017, 4:13 pm

That has so many possibilities. I'd keep the door and have the trays sliding out of it. Might have to put stops along the way to ensure trays don't tilt.
Absolutely awsome project. Can't wait to see pics of how you tackle it. And nice score on the vacuum chamber.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 10th, 2017, 4:53 pm

ajfoxy wrote:That has so many possibilities. I'd keep the door and have the trays sliding out of it. Might have to put stops along the way to ensure trays don't tilt.
Absolutely awsome project. Can't wait to see pics of how you tackle it. And nice score on the vacuum chamber.
Thanks, and yes the door is staying and will have slide out racks. I've wanted that from the first time I laid eyes on the thing.

Right now what I'm thinking is to cut the flanges off the sides and cap them with some stainless plate. May even tig them on for aesthetics. Firebox will be mild steel though, welded on with 309l rod. I will probably insulate it too. I want to run a reverse flow setup with firebox on opposite end of the door. Then either utilize the output and flange that will be right above it for the stack of it will work,or cut a hole in the top and weld a new one.

This will require a bunch of time on the 4.5" angle grinder as I don't think the plasma cutter I have will cut through stainless this thick.

Seeing as how it's stainless I'm thinking about stripping the paint off and leaving it raw. I'll paint the firebox black. Should look pretty cool.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » March 10th, 2017, 10:11 pm

I'm thinking some of those flanges might be great access for thermo probes etc. A little swing gate on them to close them off if not in use...
And it would be nice to be able to use the end flange for a stack, but I'm thinking it might be a tad low. Some of the more savvy guys with reverse flow stuff might be able to comment on that.
How thick is the stainless? Plasma would be easier, but if too thick for your plasma cutter then I guess it's you and a angle grinder.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 11th, 2017, 6:42 am

ajfoxy wrote:I'm thinking some of those flanges might be great access for thermo probes etc. A little swing gate on them to close them off if not in use...
And it would be nice to be able to use the end flange for a stack, but I'm thinking it might be a tad low. Some of the more savvy guys with reverse flow stuff might be able to comment on that.
How thick is the stainless? Plasma would be easier, but if too thick for your plasma cutter then I guess it's you and a angle grinder.
There are a couple smaller flanges up near the door on the right that were actually used for temp probes when this thing was cooking metal parts. I have the cap for them so I was planning on using them for the same purpose. The two larger ones on the sides are 3/8" thick. I'm not 100% sure of the thickness of the vessel walls itself. I really won't know until I cut into it. I'm thinking 1/4". I will of course try the plasma first but if it's a no go then cutting wheels it is.

SAFETYHARBORREDNECK
Expert
Expert
Title: ChefBoyareyoukidding
But if I were,we'd be called:Fatties Smoking Fatties

Post by SAFETYHARBORREDNECK » March 11th, 2017, 7:15 am

WOW,just WOW
Can't wait to see how this one unfolds!
And welcome!
Yeah,if you're gonna do a RF, you'd need to cap or cut off and plug the vents.
As far as the exhaust, the jury is still out on that.Some say it should be high,others say keep it low for more stable temps.
I say work with what you got,adhere to the calculators and DON'T forget to take pics.(don't need that Czar feller cussin, fussin and callin people liars, LOL)
And good luck.Can't wait to see the Q-view!!!

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

NEVER trust a skinny cook!

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 11th, 2017, 7:32 am

SAFETYHARBORREDNECK wrote:WOW,just WOW
Can't wait to see how this one unfolds!
And welcome!
Yeah,if you're gonna do a RF, you'd need to cap or cut off and plug the vents.
As far as the exhaust, the jury is still out on that.Some say it should be high,others say keep it low for more stable temps.
I say work with what you got,adhere to the calculators and DON'T forget to take pics.(don't need that Czar feller cussin, fussin and callin people liars, LOL)
And good luck.Can't wait to see the Q-view!!!

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
Thanks for the welcome!

I like pictures so there will be more to follow. I'm heading in now to palletize this thing so I can move it over to my workspace. I will be weighing it this morning too. Now just to convince my boss to buy us a new mig machine... you know for plant maintenance and repairs.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 11th, 2017, 4:40 pm

And smoker building. ......

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » March 11th, 2017, 5:14 pm

That thing is cool & im sure it will make a kickass smoker! :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 11th, 2017, 7:23 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:And smoker building. ......

Making memories!
Indeed. And I was successful in that endeavor! He told me to find a good used one and he'd buy it.

Well I got it moved to where I will be working on it this morning. I also weighed it. 1400lbs of stainless piggie furnace. I have decided on a reverse flow design. Firebox at opposite end of the door. All three flanged outlets will have to be removed and capped. The rear one is too low, and too large to be useable. I will do a stack out of the top.

I will start a build thread in the RF section with further details and pictures.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 14th, 2017, 11:19 am

That stack will need to be on the FB end with an RF, just saying

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 15th, 2017, 7:04 am

Rodcrafter wrote:That stack will need to be on the FB end with an RF, just saying
Yes sir, the firebox will be on the opposite end of the door, and the stack will be above that. I started another thread in the RF section to document the build. Thanks.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 17th, 2017, 6:37 am

:kewl: