New and looking for info

Tell us a little about yourself!
Smokin_Delights
beginner
beginner

Re: New and looking for info

Post by Smokin_Delights » November 18th, 2018, 5:29 am

Id been messaging Frank already about the plans, I'll message him anyway just so he knows. I've just bought the plans there just now so I could get a look at the dimensions

Smokin_Delights
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokin_Delights » November 21st, 2018, 2:33 pm

Got the plans, going to make things bigger. Do use think changing the size of the cooking change (make it longer or taller, or both) would need a change in the chute and grill size?

If not an overall size increase of 30% will give me more space but means altering it all

Cheers

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » November 22nd, 2018, 1:15 am

Just a thought... the DP is huge. I'm quite sure the dimensions could be tweaked without affecting the size of the chute and firebox, but would you want to? If you are worried you are not going to get enough tucker in there, I'd mark out the size of one shelf and see how much you can get in that space. Then multiply that by five or so.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Smokin_Delights
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokin_Delights » November 22nd, 2018, 8:10 am

I'm worried that i go to the hassle of building it all and I'm short for capacity so if I can get it made bigger first time round then it's no hassle, to modify the overall length would be the easiest thing to do, also saves it from being a monster in height. As long as the coal chute can still deliver a good heat to that

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by JKalchik » November 22nd, 2018, 10:14 am

FWIW, you can cook 10 full packer cut briskets in a double pan GF smoker, about 100 lbs. Another member here smoked over 100 lbs of chicken quarters on the same model. That should be enough to feed 150-200 people (unless I'm a little off in my math before coffee.) The racks are about 25"x28", charcoal chute will hold ~15 lbs of natural lump, and will burn for 10-12 hours holding 225-250.

I do agree that you have a point: you don't have to use the whole cook chamber, but you can't use what you don't have. That's why I built my double pan (rather than the smaller models.) I've used 3 racks at once, haven't made it to 5. I'd been very frustrated with the lack of capacity in my old smoker, and I've been using more capacity in this one than I'd thought.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Smokin_Delights
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokin_Delights » November 22nd, 2018, 11:00 am

Aye a know what you mean, I've had the tap measure out and compared it to my table etc lol, like a said if I've got the opportunity to make it longer and not need to tweak anything else then I may as well do it. Adjusting the length is easy enough. Increasing everything is going to make it a rediculous height 😂

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » November 22nd, 2018, 5:05 pm

Theoretically you should be able to stretch it a tad. I'd run it by Frank just to make sure you are not going to have a beast that takes 2 hours to warm up before you can start cooking.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 22nd, 2018, 7:22 pm

I’m going to throw a curve ball at you. I realize you need to tend it more often but it is really hard to beat the capacity of an offset. Put a warmer box on it and you just doubled the size of it for when you need it. Put it on a trailer and now you can cook/keep warm on site. Throw a wok or frier on the front and you are unlimited in what you can cook.

I built a 48 by 24 inch pipe into a reverse flow and added a 4 shelf warmer box. All together I get a bit over 20 sq feet of rack space. I cook for groups of 75 guys (yes, all guys in the construction field) and still have room leftover. You seem to be super concerned about space so thought I’d throw that out.

Smokin_Delights
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokin_Delights » November 22nd, 2018, 11:07 pm

I have a small cheap offset smoker that I've been using at the moment, that started this bbq hobby, it's good but I cant be standing outside tending to a fire when I have other things to prep. I'm only jsut starting out in the catering business.

The idea of having something that I can leave to do it's thing and even have electronically controlling its temp is perfect. That's why I swayed more towards the dp one.....for now.

I do love the offset smokers, for now though I'm going for simple and effective until I'm on my feet with everything

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by JKalchik » November 23rd, 2018, 10:09 am

'tires, my double pan has better than 4 sq. ft. per rack, and 5 of 'em.... more than 20 sq. ft. in about 10 sq. ft. of floor space.

Yes, one of the attractions to a reverse flow or a cross flow is multiple temps, but OP has already indicated that's not much of a consideration.

I'm interested to see what Smokin_Delights does for his venture.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Smokin_Delights
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokin_Delights » December 3rd, 2018, 6:00 am

Ive decided to just stick to the main plan and not alter anything, if I need more capacity then it's going to be more than the 6-12 inches I was going to extend it by anyway so I'll sort something else if and when I hit that problem.

Next question, what is a decent fan controller I can use for controlling temps.

Cheers

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » December 3rd, 2018, 4:10 pm

Just build two of the double pans.... I'm looking really hard at the cyber q for a controller they have all the stuff I need all ready to go. I've heard many praise the heatermeater but they take some building and I'm not much of an electronics engineer. I think they all work I don't have experience with any of them.

Smokin_Delights
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokin_Delights » December 3rd, 2018, 5:26 pm

Cool I'll have a look, see what ones are available in the UK. 😂 You're right, I could just build another

Cheers

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » December 4th, 2018, 3:49 pm

You could build two next to each other... with the chute's on opposite ends and the doors opening outwards ... cool factor of 10.
OK here comes the nurse with my meds, ohhh and a new straight jacket... gotto go gents. :D

Return to “Introduce yourself!”