Hello from Dogpatch Arkansas

Tell us a little about yourself!
Smoke_Chef
beginner
beginner

Hello from Dogpatch Arkansas

Post by Smoke_Chef » June 6th, 2012, 11:38 pm

Okay... well... It's not called Dogpatch anymore. It use to be officially called Dogpatch due to a theme park in the area named after the comic strip with Lil' Abner and Daisy Mae. Sadly, the park didn't make it and now it's buildings are just rotting into the ground. We are now called Marble Falls. As found as I was of the theme park, I'm glad the name changed back.

I've been smoking meat for family and friends for about 8 years now. I even got pretty serious about opening a BBQ restaurant but the economy and the fact that my wife and I are expecting our first baby come August I decided put that plans on hold for a while. A long long while I'm afraid. However, the passion for the hobby is still there!! That's what led me to this site. My very loving and supportive wife (who also happens to love BBQ) has signed off on me building (buying?) a much better smoker than the one I currently have. (Brinkman two door upright)

I'm in the early stages of research but I'm 99% sure I have decided on a trailer mounted reverse flow hybrid but I guess that post goes in a different place?

I'll end my intro by saying I'm sure glad I found this place. It looks awesome. I will for sure have questions, as well as pics of the progress after I pull the trigger on the build.

Good smoking all,

Smoke_Chef

PvilleComp
Expert
Expert

Re: Hello from Dogpatch Arkansas

Post by PvilleComp » June 7th, 2012, 7:13 am

:welcome:

Your wife is like mine... she endorses the hobbies where she benefits from the mistakes! ;) Just kidding...

Welcome and you have come to the right place. These guys know their stuff!

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 7th, 2012, 7:17 am

:welcome: ......and how is you skill level and pocket book....these guys can spend your money pretty quickly... :D

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

DUAYNE B
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by DUAYNE B » June 7th, 2012, 8:14 am

Your not suppose to tell him that till a couple threads in Dcman,,,,,, got to hookum first. Welcome Smoke Chef,,,,, great place to hone your typing and reading skills, i,m up to three words a minute. Lots of good reading and knowledge here :beer:

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » June 7th, 2012, 9:56 am

:welcome: SmokeChef!

Glad you joined us! Good group here that will try to help when we can. And yes we will even help spend your money! :D
Having a supportive wife is a big plus, I'm sure at one time my wife thought this was a good idea, too! #-o

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » June 7th, 2012, 2:02 pm

hahaha, and then you started running with us! right S1?!
:beer: :welcome: We will help ya out for sure!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » June 7th, 2012, 4:50 pm

UMMMM Yeah thats it! You guys are a bad influence............................on my checkbook!

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » June 12th, 2012, 12:58 am

Welcome smokechef! - you came to the right place - if we don't know the answer then DC will make one up!

I'm in Nebraska but my folks live in Yellville Arkansas and I've been quail hunting down to Damascus with him a couple times... :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Smoke_Chef
beginner
beginner

Post by Smoke_Chef » June 28th, 2012, 2:03 pm

Hello all... thanks for the warm welcome. I have to make a note to never let my wife read posts here. You'll make her change her mind about "our" build when she see's all the stuff about the checkbook. Shhhhhh....

Rick... Yellville is just about 30 minutes away from me. They've got a pretty good BBQ place there if you're ever in town.

Frank... funny thing. We were just on the phone. I was the one asking about the RF with the damper. I said I would register but once I clicked on the site I thought... What a minute. I think I've done this. I tell ya', I've spent so much time surfing the net for ideas, plans, and dreams that I don't even know where all I've been.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » June 28th, 2012, 3:48 pm

Smoke_Chef wrote:Hello all... thanks for the warm welcome. I have to make a note to never let my wife read posts here. You'll make her change her mind about "our" build when she see's all the stuff about the checkbook. Shhhhhh....

Rick... Yellville is just about 30 minutes away from me. They've got a pretty good BBQ place there if you're ever in town.

Frank... funny thing. We were just on the phone. I was the one asking about the RF with the damper. I said I would register but once I clicked on the site I thought... What a minute. I think I've done this. I tell ya', I've spent so much time surfing the net for ideas, plans, and dreams that I don't even know where all I've been.
Well Smoke_Chef, I'm glad you came back home LOL! :points: :points:

smokendink71
Expert
Expert
Title: Le Cordon Bleu Chef
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by smokendink71 » June 28th, 2012, 6:43 pm

:welcome: always glad to see new faces

A little about me, I am a Le Cordon Bleu Chef and have been in the food service industry for over 10 years. Any questions about food I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”