Tell us a little about yourself!
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Joined last night

Post by Puff » May 30th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Hello all,

I'm finally getting to do some of the things in my life I should have done 30 years ago. It's not due to retirement as I don't think that will ever be a reality. I just got to that stage where you see life is changing and those around you show it. In that case, how far away from it can I REALLY be?

My wife and I were watching those pit bar b que shows on TV. You know the ones that just make those meats look so darn good that your ready to jump off the couch and take a 3 day ride to taste it? We lived near the border by Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine 35 years ago and cob smoked meats and cheeses were a regular event. After living in suburbs you lose those values or at least lose sight of them. Maybe they never leave you but you really don't act on them. What's worse is that we don't live in a developed area. We have acres of trees and a good ole dirt road so those manicured communities can't be the excuse. You know, a homemade wood splitter, cords of wood and a big smoker sitting in the yard just doesn't have the appeal in some places...but again, that's not our situation.

I started looking for sauce recipes and just kept clicking.... You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw this ...Wow, I can build it.....never thought and I can't wait....I m going to check with the local propane company for a used tank and then stand back!

Any thoughts or suggestions, feel free !

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Re: Joined last night

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » May 30th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Welcome to the site Puff. This site can make all your smoking dreams come true.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » May 30th, 2013, 8:38 pm

:welcome: Puff
Glad you joined us.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

DUAYNE B
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by DUAYNE B » May 30th, 2013, 8:44 pm

:beer: :beer: :welcome: , so how come we dont do all the things we want to do when we are young and full of vigor, ok not you Frank, us old guys, we should play till we are old, then go to work :wtf:

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » May 30th, 2013, 9:10 pm

Welcome aboard!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 30th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Thanks for the warm ( no pun intended ) welcome... I have already discovered in the last 10 hours reading the site that I have a few different decisions to make. I have a tendency to go bigger than needed to be prepared for those bigger gatherings but the reality is that I will be smoking for about 4 people most of the time. A 200 gallon tank smoker will look great and I have more than enough oak here to fire it for years and years. ( hurricane sandy). The practical side seems to dictate something smaller but trailerable. I would like to incorporate some of the options found in the larger units. Any suggestions appreciated. I decided I am buying a set of plans...the guess work is complete and done by someone smarter than I on this topic.

I know this much, steel ain't cheap any more. The few pieces I bought for the log splitter cost way more than I thought. Nice part is the log lifter and the tray tables, no more bending to load or pick up splits.

And I used to trip over steel stock laying around for years. My wife asked me to clean it up....hmmmmm figures

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » May 30th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Glad to see you got hooked in just 10 hours of reading. Steel isn't, but don't skimp on the size and thickness of your metal. It will bite you later. What types of accessories are you looking for? On mine I have a flat top that works great for many things. Keep looking at the pics on the site and start to lay out your build in your head. You've made the right decision to purchase the plans. As a past user of the plans, I can tell you they are top notch with all the details spelled out.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » May 30th, 2013, 11:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words on the plans Clover Ridge!
Welcome to the madness Puff! sounds like you are addicted already!!! :beer:

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » May 31st, 2013, 5:45 am

Welcome Puff!

Building a smoker is more of a lifestyle choice than a "project"
As you proceed just remember - If you aren't having fun building it then you aren't doing it right - refer back to this site.

Take a tape measure to the meat department at your favorite grocery (or local butcher shop is better if you have one) and measure a packer's cut brisket - make your cooker big enough to hold 2 of those - perfect size for cooking for 4.

Since it's a lifestyle choice - you can always build another one later….

:D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 31st, 2013, 6:27 am

:welcome:

Glad to have you in the mix, sounds like you will fit right in.

Rick, 2 packer briskets for 4 people? I thought I liked brisket. hehe

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 31st, 2013, 5:18 pm

Gotta get familiar with some new terms, most of the ones I know are not usually printed. Packer brisket is a new one. As for extras, I like the idea of the warming cabinet. I would also add a small burner for boiling water or pots. Nothing to elaborate but if we trailered it somewhere, having self contained equipment helps with the travel load and convenience.

I am looking forward to this so much. In fact, looking for a new mig last night and used my neighbors up the road to check it out...he has a Miller...maybe a 172. Has a good duty cycle, good sized gas bottle and wire roll without costing over $750.00

Ordering plans tomorrow

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » May 31st, 2013, 5:35 pm

You are hooked brother!!!!! Might as well buy the welder and start the build!!!!!! :welcome: :welcome:

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » June 1st, 2013, 4:35 am

Sorry Puff - not even sure if "packer" is in our slang listing. It's just an earlier cut of the animal where the point and the flat are still attached to each other as one piece. Often when you buy a corned beef at the grocery you're just getting a flat or point - in that case you're buying just half the "packer" - which is sad because I LOVE corned beef, pastrami … wait, what? … did I get off the topic?

Did I say I like brisket?

Anyway, if you can cram 2 packers into a cook chamber then it's big enough to cook for 4 people AND some leftovers for next week's lunches - you've already taken the time and paid for the heat….

:D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » June 23rd, 2013, 10:29 pm

Question for the pros: welding will not be an issue for me and my Hobart MIG is ready to go but I no longer have any gas cutting tools due to expiration of the O2 and acetylene tanks and a few bad parts. Hoping to change this soon but I want to order a tank and plans from the site. Will my 3" cut off work or should it be best to have the tank arrive with the fire box cut already done.

I'm hoping most of the other cuts will be chop-saw compatible

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 24th, 2013, 6:34 am

It's going to get pricey using a cut off wheel on the tank but it is possible to due....are you saying you have a plasma cutter but equipment problems?

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » June 24th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Thank you for the reply...actually, a plasma cutter would be real nice but I don't have one. I would be limited to the grinder, cut-off or sawzall

I know all of them would be a pita by comparison, so I am just trying to weigh the options before making a huge mistake. Done that way too many times before ... ;)

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 24th, 2013, 12:42 pm

It will be a lot of work for a small grinder with a cut off wheel, but it can be done. It may burnout your grinder, but use it really good wheels and don't rush it.

I like having a warmer box that can double as a smaller CC, so if I just want to cook a little I don't have to heat the whole thing. But I like bigger and heavier than a lot of people.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 24th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Yeah… What he said....

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » June 27th, 2013, 10:49 pm

Even with limited knowledge, I have to agree. Bigger...heavier....I can smell it already

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 28th, 2013, 5:44 am

Yep, you fit right in. I hear myself when you speak.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”