Greetings from Muskogee, OK

Tell us a little about yourself!
Dopeylee

Greetings from Muskogee, OK

Post by Dopeylee » November 4th, 2011, 5:53 pm

I am new to the site. Have been browsing around for a few days. Seems like a very knowledgeable crowd. I have a Char-griller Pro. My little girl decided she wanted a brisket for her birthday. OMG that was 14 hours of work. Ran my butt off allday going back and forth from couch to smoker. I was lucky if i got 30 minutes of piece. Looked at prices for decently made smokers, and thought ouch. Was thinking of maybe getting gear and parts, and try to make an attempt on my own. Thinking it could be a new hobby and maybe make a few bucks on the side. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. I would be starting from scratch. I have some welding experience, but no equipment yet. Trying to get some idea if it is worth trying before I go begging to the wife, to spend the kind of money I know I am looking at for start up cost. She already complains that I can't find a cheap hobby. lol

Trying to better the world one smoke at a time.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Greetings from Muskogee, OK

Post by Gizmo » November 4th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you should build a UDS - I've seen a lot of guys using those at the competitions I've been to. I guess they cook fantastic and they're affordable to make. Frank has some plans and I'm sure he'll check in here soon. :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » November 4th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Welcome dopeylee!!!
Boy did you come to the right place LOL! great hobby... cant help a ton on the cheap part LOL. unless you build drums that is. you're going to really enjoy building just as much as the cookin. and the wife will enjoy the break from cookin too :mrgreen:

Dopeylee

Post by Dopeylee » November 4th, 2011, 6:12 pm

That's part of the problem. I do most of the cooking already, so I can't really use that argument to justify spending that kind of money for welding equipment.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » November 4th, 2011, 6:27 pm

Well then, as I always say... Better to ask forgiveness than permission! :mrgreen:

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » November 5th, 2011, 7:50 am

Welcome to the site, Awesome to hear the BBQ bug has struck again. Your right about the cost getting out of hand if you arn't careful.

But, you can start out with a drum for a minimal price. They cook fantastic, almost to the point thats hard to believe.

The best part is that you will be spending 3,4,5 hours on the couch vs 20 or 30 minutes. You won't need a water pan IMO, because of the way the drums work. There tight and efficient so you get tons of moisture.

As far as the welding goes, thats where you wanna be careful. You can get into a low end 110 unit for under 200 bucks but thats what it is, low end. Once you start welding and turning out a smoker or two, you'll want a bigger better welder. Well most of us do it that way LOL.

I would have to guess that a cheep welder, a set of plans so that its plug and play, scrap yard steel and left overs from friends. You may be able to get ya a med sized smoker up and running for around 500.00 to 700.00 bucks. You gotta be resourceful when looking for materials and it wouldn't be on a trailer.

You won't find a tuned reverse flow in a patio model for even twice that much.

If your looking for something already built, let me know and I will post ya a link to my last build. Or Frank could post it as well, The wife has the comp room tore apart and surfing from work sucks bad. I have another rig just like it thats about half way finished right now.

I am in no way trying to turn ya off from building your own, just not sure exactly what you wanna do.

Gotta run for now.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Dopeylee

Post by Dopeylee » November 10th, 2011, 10:06 pm

Sorry this has tken so long. Haven't been able to get back to computer lately. Trying to get garage cleaned up to see if I am going to have room for starting up this new hobby.

Thanks Smoker Tom. Appreciate the info. Still not sure between buying or building, although definitely have builder bug. Used to do little welding, and I have always love building stuff.

Been researching welders some later. Found three possibles. Miller 211, 212, or 252. Anybody have any thoughts on which would be best? I know they each have their upside. 252 seems best choice for longevity and choices of use. If I do start this, I know I will be starting with backyard stuff and maybe move up to trailer stuff later. Money little flexible, don't want to buy an overly sized unit I won't ever need to step up to, but don't want to have to keep stepping up all the time either.

Wife not really happy with choice of hobby, but I know she will love the products of my labor. Little girl already stoked about me smoking more. Have definitely converted another impressionable youth to the darkside. To think all this started because of lack of quality smoked meats around here. Have plenty of bbq joints here, but not much in the way of flavor. IMO

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » November 10th, 2011, 10:19 pm

I think you made the right choice of hobby brother! your gonna love it.... well you will wind up being addicted LOL.
anyway as far as welders go, they hold their resale value well. once you buy any miller or lincoln welder you will find that it will be hard to let go of. I have kept all 5 that i have purchased during my addiction. also in the pile are 2 plasma cutters and a pile of torchs, grinders, saws, and all sorts of other stuff. as far as the wife goes, she will enjoy the awesome home cooked BBQ that comes off your rigs and the extra money that comes from sellin a smoker or two. :mrgreen:

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder

Post by Tom_Heath » November 10th, 2011, 10:59 pm

I would have to vote for the 211 Miller since thats what I have.

In my opinion, unless you are planning on production smokers, you don't really need the 251.

Now I have never used one but I would love to try out an ESAB mig-caddy......I did get to hear one welding and I liked what I could hear of it. It sounded like a nice soft but crisp arc. I know that sounds kinda like two different things but thats the only way I can describe it. Nice soft starts and a clean sound, not alot of pops and sputters.

Its really lightweight and the price was right about 900, the last time I looked.

If they ever get it to run as nice as a passport plus on co2 I will have one for sure. I would already have the passport if it wasn't so dang high.

--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » November 10th, 2011, 11:06 pm

never struck an arc on an esab piece of equipment. I do have an LTEC 250 tig/ arc but it is before esab bought them out.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder

Post by Tom_Heath » November 10th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Here it is.

http://www.scottgrossstore.com/servlet/ ... 00i/Detail

My sound is broke right now so I cant check but I think there is only one or two vids of it on u tube

jwrobnz
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by jwrobnz » November 12th, 2011, 10:39 am

I have a little Lincoln 100 that worked fine building my UDS. You can also build a UDS without welding. Franks dvd shows how. A UDS will satisfy your passion until you get the rig of your dreams built. If the wife keeps complaining just look her in the eyes and say "I'm doing it for you Sweetheart". WOW! I can hear the smirk already. It is a nice hobby though. I enjoy it very much. My wife is good with it too as long as I don't go nuts with the spending.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » November 12th, 2011, 12:09 pm

jwrobnz wrote:My wife is good with it too as long as I don't go nuts with the spending.
A great example how you can build the smoker of your dreams on the cheap is RLmax's build "the king cooker build"

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder

Post by Tom_Heath » November 13th, 2011, 9:23 am

I gotta agree, a drum would get you by until a final decision was made.

And the only reason I mentioned the ESAB was to give ya a prospective on price comparison for a high end machine in a small package.

As far as this being a high dollar sport. It can be.

But in the same breath, watch the weekly sales and get your meat on the cheep, then toss it in the freezer. Or smoke it and then freeze it.
I can cook, freeze, and warm up pulled pork that you would never know that it didnt come right off the smoker.

As far as building, keep your eyes pealed and watch the scrap yards.
It can be done for cheep.

Now on the other hand, building with new steel is much faster and many times easier. Just ask Frank. LOL

Sometimes its worth bitting the bullet, spending the money, getting done, and then having a little time with the wife.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”