New member!

Tell us a little about yourself!
TexasN1880
beginner
beginner

New member!

Post by TexasN1880 » March 8th, 2017, 8:35 am

Good morning yall,
My name is Casey Holcomb. I am new to the site. I just joined yesterday and I am very excited to look through the forums and learn some things.

I am about to start my first ever smoker build. I have been smoking meats now for about 14 years on a standard backyard type smoker.
I competed in a bbq cook off competition last weekend and my team did pretty well. Now I am hooked. I haven't stopped thinking about how I want to build my smoker trailer for the competitions I want to do.

Last night I bought an older flat bed trailer that I believe was an old RV camper someone converted into a flatbed trailer.
I am just using it for the frame anyway. I was thinking about using a boat trailer but I only paid $200 for this trailer and I kinda like the Idea of having it on a flat bed. I plan on building tables and having everything easily accessible.

Im not going for the best in show look but I just want everything to be an easy process for loading and unloading.

I decided to go with a 250 gallon propane tank for the cooking chamber. I plan on getting that next month. I have to kinda space things out so I don't get in trouble from the wife for spending all our money lol.

Anyway gents I am glad to be here.
smoke on!!!

KarateDoc
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Doc's Kick Butt BBQ, Not competing yet...

Re: New member!

Post by KarateDoc » March 8th, 2017, 9:35 am

Welcome and looking forward to seeing your build. Lots of good folk here.

Looks at a piece of meat and wonders how many ways can I smoke that.

Here is my build of the Stump's Clone viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5280

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » March 8th, 2017, 10:07 am

:welcome:

Welcome to the crew!

There are lots of options with that size cooker. Warmer/CC over the FB seems to be a favorite. Reverse flow vs off set is another cabinet doors vs counter weights. The ideas just keep coming.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » March 8th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Welcome aboard - I'm anxious to see your project!

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » March 8th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Welcome Casey. Look forward to seeing the build pics. And of course some Q-view at the end...

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Stewart
Expert
Expert

Post by Stewart » March 8th, 2017, 5:39 pm

:yth:

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » March 8th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 8th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Welcome!!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

New member!

Post by forty_creek » March 8th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Welcome Casey "Texas?" where abts...you want to meet several of the guys that built this site and/or have vastly contributed to it come on over to the gathering April 20-23. After the weekend you will think you've known these guys for years...Frank, Czar, Smokin Tum, Rodcrafter, BigT (I'm looking fwd'd to meeting him)...and many more. There will be more smoker building knowledge together at one time than you can dream of. Truly solid fellas! All you have to do is show up...already have rooms. Just south of I20 between Shreveport/Bossier City and Minden, LA.
Prolly most importantly you will get to see MACK in itself on flesh (well steel)....very sweet setup!
If you can make it I would hold off buying a propane tank until you can see MACK. Just my opinion and m2cw...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » March 9th, 2017, 2:35 am

Glad to have you onboard Casey.
Like RC said, your options are almost unlimited. Browse around the various builds on the forum and get some ideas before you commit to any particular design.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » March 9th, 2017, 4:50 am

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

TexasN1880
beginner
beginner

Post by TexasN1880 » March 9th, 2017, 8:45 am

forty_creek wrote:Welcome Casey "Texas?" where abts...you want to meet several of the guys that built this site and/or have vastly contributed to it come on over to the gathering April 20-23. After the weekend you will think you've known these guys for years...Frank, Czar, Smokin Tum, Rodcrafter, BigT (I'm looking fwd'd to meeting him)...and many more. There will be more smoker building knowledge together at one time than you can dream of. Truly solid fellas! All you have to do is show up...already have rooms. Just south of I20 between Shreveport/Bossier City and Minden, LA.
Prolly most importantly you will get to see MACK in itself on flesh (well steel)....very sweet setup!
If you can make it I would hold off buying a propane tank until you can see MACK. Just my opinion and m2cw...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm from Fort Worth Texas. I plan on trying to make it to the gathering. Because its my first build and id love to get some ideas from others.
PM me your number if your close to Fort Worth and maybe we can meet up out there.
Thanks
CH

Return to “Introduce yourself!”