Test Stand Build

Tell us a little about yourself!
addison363
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Test Stand Build

Post by addison363 » May 2nd, 2017, 7:54 am

Hello all: I'm a mechanical engineer in Michigan. I've been smoking with vertical water smokers for about 22 years but now I have a stainless steel test stand hull in my garage that wants to be re-purposed as a smoker grill combo. It is essentially a stainless steel 6 ft tall empty electronic server cabinet on left and a 5 foot drain table. This is my first build and I'm not a metal worker (...yet). Great community here! I'm counting on lots of advice. Here is my first 3 questions:

1. Right now I'm planning on a vertical smoker with fire in the bottom, chip pan above, water pan above and racks above that. What forum should this does this type of design reside...didn't see one for vertical water smokers (maybe I missed it). I plan on posting lots of pics as I go and want to make sure I'm putting stuff in the right place.

2. Cooking Chamber will be insulated with rock wool insulation. How thick of steel should the interior walls be? I shouldn't need 1/4 inch because I'm not looking for the thermal mass. They will have to carry the load of the cooking racks and large water pan. What is thickness typical for insulated boxes?

3. How should I size air inlets and outlets for this style. I would like to be able to do dual fuel... swappable propane burner or charcoal basket. Will the offset firebox calculator make still make sense for this style of smoker?

Thanks in advance for the advice. -- A.

If it isn't broken, take it apart and fix it!

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Test Stand Build

Post by Squiggle » May 2nd, 2017, 10:06 am

:welcome: you should be able to use 1.6mm(16ga) as that is what's used in the GF units :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 2nd, 2017, 8:28 pm

Welcome aboard! 1) I would put the thread in other smoker and grill designs. 2) As mentioned above 16 ga will work for the interior of the CC 3) I'm not sure on the dual fuel. I don't really fool with propane but Pete could probably help you on that.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » May 3rd, 2017, 4:33 am

Figure you'll need 1.5 Btu min / cu in of CC volume for propane. If you make your air intakes as low as you can, if the burner happens to blow out the propane can escape. An opening at the bottom would be better but not if you're doing charcoal as well. Chimney can simply be a rectangular vent at the top/sides or a short stack. I like the side vent as it won't allow any condensate dripping on your food. I only have 6 sq in and it's plenty for my 17,000 cu in CC.

Here's the finish of my current build.

http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... =stainless

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators