Newb and first time build

Tell us a little about yourself!
Maga Smoke
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Newb and first time build

Post by Maga Smoke » November 20th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Hello all,
I am new to building a smoker, but have used quite a few over the years, my favorite was an offset that I had for about ten years but burned the firebox and the main cooking chamber out after years of cooking and not cleaning it properly.

I’ve had a few vertical smokers too that I’ve done the same thing too. I like cooking :biggrillin: not cleaning :PBox: and it has cost me in new smokers over the years.

Anyway I’m about to build one and have most of what I need.

Just have to weld it up the big safe is 30”w x 25”d x 60”h and 1/8” thick. The pipe is 24” x 60”l and is 3/8” thick the fire box was a night deposit box safe and is 26” cubed and 1” thick shouldn’t burn it out.

I plan to use tuning plates and am playing with the idea of making the horizontal pipe chamber reverse flow as well as feeding the vertical chamber.

Would love to hear from anyone with advice.

I live south of Houston Tx, and I paid a visit to Pits by Klose, I met Carla who was a very nice lady for a few free pointers that she graciously provided, David was busy in the shop and I didn’t have the opportunity to meet him, but I hope to make another visit to them soon.

Anyway this is a pretty big undertaking for me as my welding skills aren’t that developed, but I have all the good equipment to make it happen.

Will post some pics as soon as I figure out how.
Wish me luck.

Thanks Jeff

Maga Smoke

Re: Newb and first time build

Post by Maga Smoke » November 20th, 2019, 9:16 pm

So this is the project mocked up, still have to do some cutting and welding but you get the idea.
3F769773-390B-4359-A71F-15282D2D2996.jpeg
2B165B3F-6C4A-4E4E-8720-35685482138B.jpeg
F1ABC982-F4F7-460D-B159-4EAFDA99A702.jpeg

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 20th, 2019, 11:46 pm

Welcome aboard!! That's an interesting looking build. Have you found the pit calculator and ran your dimensions through it ? That's the key to building a smoker that performs well and doesn't have a lot of issues.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 21st, 2019, 12:16 am

Interesting indeed!

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » November 21st, 2019, 5:00 am

:yth: :welcome:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Maga Smoke

Post by Maga Smoke » November 21st, 2019, 9:25 am

Big T wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 11:46 pm
Welcome aboard!! That's an interesting looking build. Have you found the pit calculator and ran your dimensions through it ? That's the key to building a smoker that performs well and doesn't have a lot of issues.

Yeah I used Feldons calculator my fire box when adding both chambers together calculates to 24643 and the actual is 17576, I plan on adding height to the fire box so it should come more in line, but I’m not sure if that’s the way to calculate it.
Feldons doesn’t have a combo chamber calculator so I’m kind of winging it.

The recommended firebox to cooking chamber cut out is equal on both chambers as 140” don’t know if I should increase that or not.

Chimney is a 5” but I’m upping that to a 6” or 8” and using damper control

The firebox inlets is recommended to be 6.5” square, I will add more and use dampers to control that as well.

Anyway I’ve never seen anyone use a safe and since I acquired all the materials for free, I figure if it doesn’t work I have scrap metal to cash in on.😀

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » November 21st, 2019, 3:42 pm

And using the safe as a firebox once you get it set up how you want it you can "lock it in"...

OK, I'll leave now. :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 21st, 2019, 7:39 pm

The vertical warmer box built above a firebox is typically not included in your cook chamber size. It gets ‘free’ heat. However, it looks like you are placing the vertical portion more in line so I think I would just include the lower 1/3 that is Below the level of the top of the round pipe but not the portion above it in your calculation.

If you are putting a damper between the two sections, I would not include any part of the vertical. This is especially true if you are going to use it as a warmer the majority of the time.

You don’t need a chimney....the vertical will do that. Just put a few inches of pipe out the top.

Just my 2 cents.....

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » November 25th, 2019, 12:26 pm

You know it's good when you gotta lock the ribs in a safe