Hello from Farmers Branch Tx

Tell us a little about yourself!
ChillinC

Hello from Farmers Branch Tx

Post by ChillinC » September 12th, 2020, 9:23 am

New to smokerbuilder and building smokers. I have an 80gal compressor tank that I would like to build a reverse flow smoker with. I have a craftsman 30gal tank I was going to use as the fire box but was told its probably to thin and will burn out a lot faster than I would like. Coming up with the extra cash for as much 1/4" steal I will need for the box and baffle is a bit of a challenge during our covid era. Hope to be able to gather more information on the build in the meantime. Thanks for having me
ChillinC

dacolson

Re: Hello from Farmers Branch Tx

Post by dacolson » September 12th, 2020, 10:02 am

Welcome ChillinC! The 80 gallon tank sounds sweet. Is it a vertical tank or horizontal? Vertical will likely have less rust.

On the 30 gallon tank - I’ve used a handful of smaller tanks like this. 2 issues:
1. Thinner walls - usually 1/8” which is pretty thin. The nice thing w round tanks is that they don’t warp much. The integrity of the steel is important though so putting fire bricks or a piece of heavier steel in the bottom/at the back can help.
2. Rust - air tanks are notoriously rusty. Water can sit in the bottom of these for years and rust out the bottom. When you get the tank open and start cleaning up, keep an eye out for thin spots and pin holes through the tank. Also not the end of the world. You can position the rusted area on the bottom and weld in a thicker plate over it. 30 gallons is a little big for and 80 gallon firebox. Adding a false bottom to fix the rust and add strength will also shrink your volume a bit which will help with temp control.

Another option if the 30 gallon tank is not going to work would be to cut a 20 gallon section out of your 80 gallon tank. That would leave you with a 60 gallon cook chamber and a 20 gallon gallon firebox which is right at 100% of the recommended size. I’ve built a 60 gallon pit and am building a 2nd one. Great patio sized pits.

Final thought - the nice thing about welding your own pit is that nothing is permanent. You can always cut things and rebuild them. If you can’t come up with a better option than the 30 gallon tank for the firebox today, build it anyway. It will work for years regardless of being the “most” optimal solution. You can keep your eyes open for steel to build the firebox you want over time and replace it when you want. Don’t miss the opportunity to build it now and enjoy some awesome smoked meat!!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 12th, 2020, 11:01 am

Welcome to the site....

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 12th, 2020, 4:29 pm

Welcome

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 12th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Welcome aboard!!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » September 13th, 2020, 3:17 am

:welcome:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » September 17th, 2020, 1:06 pm

:welcome:
Welcome to the crew!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » September 17th, 2020, 6:13 pm

ChillinC wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 9:23 am
New to smokerbuilder and building smokers. I have an 80gal compressor tank that I would like to build a reverse flow smoker with. I have a craftsman 30gal tank I was going to use as the fire box but was told its probably to thin and will burn out a lot faster than I would like. Coming up with the extra cash for as much 1/4" steal I will need for the box and baffle is a bit of a challenge during our covid era. Hope to be able to gather more information on the build in the meantime. Thanks for having me
ChillinC
since you are understandably tight on coin because of COVID as you mention in your intro, The thin air tank as a FB is not out of the question as long as you raise your fire above the coal bed, and off of the thin tank. A fire grate and an ash pan below it would save it for a while too, plus make it easier to clean. of course you will likely need to shorten the FB tank to the correct volume based on the pit calculator which is found on this site too. U might b able to remove one of the end bells off and shorten the tank then add the same bell back on, which'll save a little metal for an end cap. The nice thing about metal is you can always cut things off and fix it in the future if/ when you see thin spots, or wanna go another route,

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » September 24th, 2020, 12:35 am

Welcome.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Rule Hard
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Rule Hard » September 25th, 2020, 6:36 am

Welcome. I'm new here as well and this site has and it's members have been very helpful.

ChillinC

Post by ChillinC » October 1st, 2020, 7:33 pm

Thank you all! I ended up coming up with the cash to buy a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 inch steel. Wasn't cheep. I can cut out everything I need for the 80gal and use the scrap for the 30gal. I took measurements and I think its possible

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 2nd, 2020, 10:54 am

Agreed, plate is expensive. Lay out your pieces before you cut, take your time and you will be amazed how little waste you have. I took graph paper (don’t laugh!) and drew out my pieces then transferred to the steel.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”