Clone of a clone?

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
shortlived
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: Clone of a clone?

Post by shortlived » August 25th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Here are some more
Attachments
1908_1499568363735.jpeg

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » August 25th, 2018, 12:56 pm

That stuff looks fantastic!

shortlived
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by shortlived » August 25th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Now I need some advice, I'm having some problems with my smoker.

Lessons learned:

I built the drip/water pan too close to the transfer tubes. the first competition I spent boiling water. I quickly gave up with the water part and just run it dry. This seems to work rather well but I have problems with recovery times. (I'm thinking about adding sand or fire bricks for thermal mass instead of water) what do you think?

I should have gone with a much larger drain valve. I was thinking it would only need to drain water at the end of a cook so I wasn't worried about it getting clogged. Now that i'm not using water it clogs up with grease and I ended up with a huge grease fire for my last cook.

Dirty smoke, This is what I really need some advice on, This smoker does not run clean. It works great when it gets to temp. it works great for long cooks, but cooking a lot of tritip or other shorter cooks it burns dirty while trying to recover after I load it up. I use a BBQ Guru to regulate the temp. I think the guru is blowing too much air and I end up blowing flame out the bottom transfer tubes. this has started grease fires and makes the bottom rack cook too fast. So far I have gotten a smaller guru fan, which takes forever to recover but does seem to burn cleaner. I have also choked off the bigger fan with mixed results. What has worked best so far is just turning down the set temp for the guru and bumping it up 10 degrees at a time till I finally get back to temp. My "firebox" is 10"x10" with the transfer tubes about half way up. so the burn area is about 10x10x8, is this too big? too small? I went big originally because the tube I used was free. I always figured I could make it smaller but its a lot harder to make it bigger.

hopefully yall have some insight on this?
Last edited by shortlived on August 25th, 2018, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shortlived
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by shortlived » August 25th, 2018, 1:21 pm

I just realized only one picture uploaded per post lol
Attachments
IMG_20170624_153457.jpg

shortlived
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by shortlived » August 25th, 2018, 1:23 pm

IMG_20170126_134910.jpg

shortlived
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by shortlived » August 25th, 2018, 1:25 pm

IMG_20170102_135442.jpg
Hind sight, don't put the drip tray so close to the transfer tubes. It does divert the smoke/heat very evenly though

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » August 25th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Looks good. :kewl:

And as it's been a while... :rulz: require Q-view :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » August 25th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Oops to above... posted when I only saw one pic. Now you have Q-view I withdraw the rules part. Still looks good though

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

shortlived
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by shortlived » August 25th, 2018, 7:59 pm

I'm on my phone. for the life of me I can't find a link to forum rules, sorry if I broke one.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » August 25th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Nah you are good to go. Just me not seeing your Q-view pic. No hard and fast rules mate, just a tease.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 25th, 2018, 9:25 pm

The food looks great!! I can't see how your transfer tubes work. Do you have a bunch of small holes in the tubes or is the bottom cut out of the tubes ?

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

shortlived
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by shortlived » August 25th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Bunch of 3/4" holes, I have a video of it blowing out nice and even. It might be a problem but when the fan is really blowing it almost looks like a propane burner with flame coming out the holes.

Return to “Smoker Clones”