Small Vertical Insulated RF Questions

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
fireman_pete
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by fireman_pete » January 10th, 2014, 3:03 pm

I am getting ready to make a small, vertical, insulated RF smoker. Cooking chamber will be about 16"d and 20"-22" tall.

I am planning to make it out of 1" square tube, and sking the inside and out with either 16 or 18 gauge steel. Trying to keep it light and portable for competition use.

I have a question on the heat and exhaust. Would it be possible to have the exhaust be in the middle of the back (like a backwoods), but also have the heat go up the back side, on either side of the exhaust?

Trying to keep the sides simples, and only make one false wall (the back).

Another option is to have the heat go up the entire back wall, and make the exhaust on the sides, but make the exhaust be external...

Would love to hear some feedback, and if anyone has any plans for small unit like this and want to share, that would be great.

Thanks

Pete

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by SmokinFF » January 10th, 2014, 4:24 pm

Hit up Click here : Smokerplans.net. If You can't find what your lookin for, send Frank a PM and he can draw up a custom set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Re: Small Vertical Insulated RF Questions

Post by Rev.Mike » January 10th, 2014, 4:56 pm

:yth:

fireman_pete
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by fireman_pete » January 10th, 2014, 6:08 pm

I checked and the only plans are for a gravity feed. I do not really want to buy plans, just looking for feedback and information on my ideas. Thanks

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » January 10th, 2014, 9:39 pm

Fireman_pete,

Are you saying the exhaust would travel up to a passage on the top of the back and then need to be drawn down thru the false wall to a cutout in the middle of the outer back wall? Like traveling thru an "S".... Is that correct?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

fireman_pete
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by fireman_pete » January 11th, 2014, 12:09 am

The exhaust would be in the middle of the back wall, just like on a Backwoods. However, instead of having false walls on the side for the heat to enter, the heat would travel up a false back wall (on either side of the exhaust)

Hope that makes sense.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » January 11th, 2014, 7:16 am

I need a sketch…. :-B

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » January 11th, 2014, 11:08 am

The simplest way I believe is to not try to create a duct/s for the heat but rather an opening only on the Baffle Plate on each side. Then I would put 2 openings for the exhaust one in the middle at the back and the other above it at the top. I say that because it would allow you to be able to adjust how long that smoke stays in the CC. You don't want it to grow stale, but rather keep moving.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Shadrock
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Prickclique
BBQ Comp Team Name: Nope...

Post by Shadrock » January 16th, 2014, 6:45 pm

I believe the BBQ vault/safe by Pittmaker has a false wall in the back that brings in smoke/heat from the fire box and they add two C channels along the sides to vent up to the top exhaust. Take a quick glance at their models.

I think you're talking about dividing the back false wall in to thirds and having (2/3) bringing in heat and (1/3) exhausting out to the exhaust stack.

fireman_pete
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by fireman_pete » January 16th, 2014, 10:48 pm

Yep, that is exactly what I am talking about. Feedback/comments on how it might work?
Shadrock wrote:I think you're talking about dividing the back false wall in to thirds and having (2/3) bringing in heat and (1/3) exhausting out to the exhaust stack.

Shadrock
Title: Prickclique
BBQ Comp Team Name: Nope...

Post by Shadrock » January 17th, 2014, 9:13 am

I could see where this idea would simplify the build. But I don't know how to size the intake/exhaust stacks for the vertical style smokers. In comparison, the Pittmaker used the whole back false wall for an intake, and the Backwoods uses majority of both false sidewalls as an intake(to bring in the heat/smoke into the cooking chamber).

In the design you describe, only 2/3rd's of the back false wall would be the intake which isn't as much. You may could make the false wall deeper to compensate for that, but I'm not sure what other complications that would cause.

pickupnut

Post by pickupnut » January 17th, 2014, 3:21 pm

I think this style would work. You might want to try to Deflect the smoke to the front of the smoker so that you do not have the smoke only in the back of the smoker. This style gets most of the heat into the cooking chamber through radiant heat through the plate or water pan between the fire box and the cc.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » January 18th, 2014, 7:51 am

I never saw much need to a RF for a vertical cooker. With a horizontal, you need to divert the heat and smoke to even out the temps . With a vertical, a simple baffle plate, water pan or deflectors are all you need.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Cattle Rustler
BBQ Comp Team Name: Cattle Rustlers BBQ Team

Post by Cattle Rustler » January 20th, 2014, 4:57 pm

I'm glad you posted this question as I'm currently trying to design one for me and thought the same thing. I also thought about designing mine to be both a pellet burner and like a backwoods/pitmaker. Maybe i'm making it too complecated.

Sjpatg
beginner
beginner

Post by Sjpatg » March 12th, 2014, 5:54 pm

The build I am currently doing has the smoke / heat going up the sides and back walls
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3643

Brisket Envy
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by Brisket Envy » July 31st, 2014, 7:04 pm

How did you end up doing it?

Click here : Here is how I did it.
No reason you couldn't do it all in the back wall.
I just wanted didn't want to lose that space on the back wall, for more depth, so I went outside with my exhaust.
Up thru the wall would be slicker.