Gravity Feed ...Starts July 7 2014

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Gravity Feed ...Starts July 7 2014

Post by Puff » July 18th, 2014, 9:12 pm

Ha...I was hoping to ask you RC....

FYI: I bought all of the interior 18ga steel, frame tubing, rack guide angle, rack tubing, charcoal chute/firebox steel was ordered cut , but with a $110.00 mis-spent on cnc plasma cut flanges for the Top and side door flanges(3). So far, I have about $525 in it. Still need another 4x8 sheet of 18ga. ROXUL insulation, wheels and aluminum tread plate for the door.

I should have made the flanges out of 1/4"x 1" flat bar and just ground down the welds in the corners to make it a smooth frame. Instead I sent the cut list to the supplier and asked them to cut the sizes since much of it was 1/2" thick. I did not enjoy the last 60 feet of cutting the previous smokers' 1/4" plates. I could only imagine 1/2"!

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 19th, 2014, 9:29 am

I thought the interior was 10 ga. and the outside was 18 ga. But of course I haven't purchased my plans yet. Did I get that wrong Puff?

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 19th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Hi Rodcrafter,

According to the plan...18 gauge

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 19th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Oh ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 19th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Actually, when I read your post, I had to go through the pages like a nut scanning to see if I'd made a mistake. Got me going for a minute.

Ordered the Roxul insulation sheets last night. They were 60.00 for 6 sheets of 2'x4'. Shipping was the extra cost..24.00 more via UPS. These costs add up quickly. This will end up being a $1200 smoker by the time it is completed. The wheels are about 35-40 each locally. I still have to find a way to make a patio sized smoker. Maybe I should go get one at Lowes ;)

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 20th, 2014, 5:48 pm

So here's an update, Sunday morning I was able to cut all of the framework and stack all of the numbered pieces in a nice pile. Got a call from Frank to clarify some questions and it looks like things will be moving full speed ahead. My half-inch steel for the chute is ready and I will be picking it up sometime in the next day or so.
GF Cut Frame.jpg

DUAYNE B
Expert
Expert

Post by DUAYNE B » July 20th, 2014, 7:02 pm

Looks like you got alot of fun ahead of you Puff. :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 20th, 2014, 7:43 pm

Duayne,

You hit the nail on the head, as they say. The hard part is standing humped over while cutting. My middle back doesn't seem to find it as much fun! I'm guessing it'll just have to get used to it

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » July 21st, 2014, 8:52 am

This is going to be fun to watch progress.

From infinity and beyond

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 21st, 2014, 3:40 pm

Have an opportunity today to pick up the precut half-inch plate and a few others I'd ordered. Since this is more progress I thought I'd share this picture
Pre cut steel.jpg

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 21st, 2014, 4:38 pm

Get ready, set, go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 23rd, 2014, 9:59 pm

Progress is slow. Once I get home from work, I have so many other things to deal with around the house it is holding up my ability to get work done but, here is a view of the ash container
image.jpg
Gizmo was right, welding parts with super clean, square straight line cut edges is nice!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 24th, 2014, 12:13 pm

Puff wrote:Gizmo was right, welding parts with super clean, square straight line cut edges is nice!

That Gizmo, he is spoiling you Puff. lol

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 24th, 2014, 7:07 pm

Ha! I admit, he's helped me a lot
Looks like I'm in this for the long haul.. Guys at work helped load my truck today.
image.jpg
Still have another one to bring home. They're both 80 gallon compressors. They'll just have to sit in the barn until I finish the gravity feed. The other thing looks like a small cart for garden use and both removed tires hold air. Then, the gas cylinder is my argon/co2.

Got finished the ash box tonight...used the stick welder.
image.jpg
..the mig is for the weekend. Needs to be setup fully

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 25th, 2014, 6:50 am

:LG:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 26th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Started using the new mig today and it runs so easily. Went over a few rougher stick welds on the 1/2" stuff and even though it's good for up to 3/8", it seems to have done a great job.

Not having any welder training I'll ask the pro's out there: do you use the grease stuff they put in the tips of the mig gun to make it easier to clean?

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » July 26th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Dip it after you've been welding for a bit, so the tip is hot. The dip will help keep the spatter from building up.

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 27th, 2014, 3:38 pm

I'll pick some up tomorrow. In the meantime, I've discovered that having the mig is like some people talk about weight loss or a knee replacement...shoulda done it a while ago.

Made a little progress on the charcoal chute. It is starting to get very heavy and actually flexing the 1/4" plate I was using as a table. I am VERY happy the way the fit has developed. Usually I spend time getting it square and after it's welded, something shifted... This came out great...so far
image.jpg
image.jpg
The transfer tube is a very heavy piece and must be exposed to some amazing heat. Frank, thanks for the guidance on that mig, seems to. Do 1/2" with no strain even though rated for 3/8".

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » July 28th, 2014, 6:03 am

Damn, that's a beast!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 28th, 2014, 11:58 am

Cutting the top 25" today and then starting the frame when I get home tonight. I KNOW, I'll need help getting the chute into he frame.. Must be low testosterone?? ... my strength has changed so much in the last year :ympeace:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 28th, 2014, 5:01 pm

It must be all this smoker building getting your back in a pinch. Take it easy Puff.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 28th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Ha ..! You're very likely correct. Got home tonight and welded two sides of the frame and found a simpler way to cut the 1/4" plate... The mig is doing great. This cut is about 3" long perfectly straight and took about 10 seconds to push the saw through
image.jpg
. Since these two pieces are only 26" long it should be an easy job... Easier then the air powered cutoff wheels at 25 degrees outside.

Dino B
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by Dino B » August 22nd, 2014, 12:33 pm

Thanks for bringing us along on your journey. It's such a great feeling of accomplishment when you light that first fire. Keep up the good work Puff!!!!

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » August 22nd, 2014, 2:43 pm

Thanks Dino, The first cook with ZERO experience was what really made it pay off for me. The accolades of friends was very ego building ..and... I have tons of smokers I've built... This one carries the serial number 3 ! They weigh about 4100 lbs between them ..Hence "tons"

Big Steve
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Part Time BBQ
KCBS 77033

Post by Big Steve » September 7th, 2014, 9:17 am

Puff would you mind taking a picture of the transfer tube/beam where it welds up to the fire box? I can't tell if there is a hole in the firebox and the heat "flows" from the hole and under the transfer tube/beam? Is the transfer tube/beam sealed or boxed via two piece clam shell welded together. As you can tell I just don't get how this works, where the fire box exhausts to. First time for me to mentally dig into a vertical cabinet smoker. Appreciate the education.

Return to “Smoker Clones”