Gravity feed smoker plans

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Ga65

Gravity feed smoker plans

Post by Ga65 » October 19th, 2014, 10:27 pm

Hey guys
In a few weeks I am getting ready at an attempt to build myself a gravity feed smoker. I am looking to make one about the size of the stumps XL Baby. I was wondering if anybody out there had blue prints/ plans/ pictures of one they did. Right now at this stage in my life (with wife and kids) I don't have 3k to spend on a smoker. So I figured I could save some money by doing it myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Gravity feed smoker plans

Post by Puff » October 19th, 2014, 11:30 pm

Frank Cox is designing a set of plans for a smaller sized gravity feed. I have the plans for the larger one. And it just needs to be painted now....We have a lot of land space and out buildings so there is room for them to stay here.

But, the smokers I have made in the last year are ALL too big for family use, so to speak. Frank has a few people interested in a small GF and told me he will be draw up a new plan for it this month coming. I'm waiting for it and so Is a member in Wisconsin .....pm frank that you have an interest to see what's going on...more the merrier.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » October 20th, 2014, 11:08 am

Yep get on Smokerplans.net and should be able to find them....

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Ga65

Post by Ga65 » October 20th, 2014, 7:53 pm

Thanks guys. I will look into it. If you order the plan that is on smokerplans.net does it show the actual dimensions on the hard copy or is it just the drawing? I figure that it would but I just want to make sure. Also does anybody have any positive/negatives about this particular gravity feed clone build on smokerplans.net? Thanks.
Here's the link.
http://www.smokerplans.net/index.php?ma ... cts_id=128

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » October 20th, 2014, 8:14 pm

check out Puff's threads about this build. He built using our plans. They are over 20 pages long and are fully dimensioned.
:beer: :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 20th, 2014, 8:43 pm

Hey, thanks for the shout out! :beer: this is actually my second set of plans I bought from smokerplans.net. The ordering and download is simple. The plans detail all dimensions and the illustrations guide you thru the construction process. This one is about 50"tall x 28"deep x 32 " wide. Support is terrific and enlightening as I went away with greater confidence to achieve excellence in construction. The insulation alone is phenomenal. I'm not a welder, never took any shop classes or learned to read plans. The guys here always are willing to lend an opinion or educate on topics.

This is my second smoker in a year. The first one eventually became a trailer mounted fire breathing machine. The foods that have come out of that unit have wowed over a hundred people. The ease of use, control, and regulation of temps has been nothing short of great. It's one of the factors that has brought me in deeper into this "addiction" as it is known around here.

If you are looking into owning a gravity feed smoker, clearly I can't say enough about how good it has been for me in building mine... you are in the right place. You as the builder have an opportunity to make it the absolute best. You will take no short cuts or quick fixes because it is yours. Good luck and when you do start your build, post the pictures.
image.jpg
Just waiting for paint and one toggle clamp !!

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Ga65

Post by Ga65 » October 20th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Thanks Puff. I have been wanting a gravity feed smoker for about 2 years now. From what I have heard they are absolutely amazing smokers. From what I have seen you really don't have to baby sit them like a horizontal smoker. They are much more efficient is what I have been told. Puff or Frank, how many pounds of charcoal does the chute hold? And how long will one chute of coal burn without adding too it? How much do you think it weighs? Sorry for all the questions just excited about the upcoming build.
I am looking for a size GF that would be good for a patio. From the looks of it, it looks about the perfect size that I am looking for.
P.s. Puff I just got reading through ur threads and posts. Your smoker looks great brother. Keep up the good work.

Ga65

Post by Ga65 » October 20th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Frank, puff mentioned that you may be drawing up some plans for a smaller GF. What would be the overall dimensions of this smaller GF?
Thanks again.

Tim Schmidt
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Tim Schmidt » October 22nd, 2014, 9:21 pm

Hello, I contacted Frank about a gf smoker similar in size to the stumps baby xl. Dimensions roughly 25x22x18.5.
Said the plans would take a couple months. I cannot wait to get started. Sounds like there are at least 3 guys now waiting for the plans.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 22nd, 2014, 9:34 pm

I'm also going to get a set of those .... Imagine, a gravity feed that can be carried up the steps ( by 4 guys!)
In my larger gravity feed smoker I have just over 85lbs of insulation laid in the walls and door and then packed in all of the 2x2" framework like a black powder rifle

Tim Schmidt

Post by Tim Schmidt » October 22nd, 2014, 9:49 pm

Makes sense packing the square tubing. Any problems welding the joints with the insulation in the square tube??
I have been following your current gravity feed build. Looks great
Thanks

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 22nd, 2014, 10:42 pm

No issues. INsulation is more affected by the Sparks of the Flap wheel. I used a 4' round 1 1/4" dowel to pack the Tubes.

Thanks for the kind words. Wait til she's fully painted and trimmed out.

Tim Schmidt

Post by Tim Schmidt » October 23rd, 2014, 6:18 pm

Wondering if you fired your smoker up yet?
Are you going to use any type of fan/electronics?
Are you going to install foldable shelving On the exterior.
From what I understand, insulated gravity feed smokers hold temperature pretty close.
My shop is all set up. Just waiting for Frank to finish gravity feed plans for a smaller version.
Tim

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 23rd, 2014, 8:31 pm

Hey Tim,

As soon as those plans are ready, I too will be building the smaller sized smoker. And, I can't wait either ???

No, it has not yet been fired up. I can't seem to get the time to devote a few hours to watching it, measuring it, and being sure it's operating the right way. I still have two more of the 5 racks inside to put the expanded metal on and I am NOT happy with the toggle clamp on my top loading fuel door. The door seal is perfect but the style of toggle needs to be changed. I don't believe it would be smart to rely only on the weight of the door with gasket to keep it sealed.

I am going to use a blower and controller. I can use it on both eventually. As for folding shelves...never considered it but I have seen several that do have them and it may prove useful. The one shelf in front of the doors on my tank/trailer smoker is a pain. The bottom of the doors sweep across it when you open them since it has only about 1 inch clearance, so anything on the shelf is in the way.

I do have to find a way to install some kind of hand holds for pushing or pulling it around. Not too anxious to just push against it and it doesn't move anyway. The tires on the wheels are a tad soft under the weight of the unit. I was going to change them to solids but then I won't be able to move it over the dirt driveway and yard. There's a heck of a lot more of that than concrete floor...

Tim Schmidt

Post by Tim Schmidt » November 9th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Has anyone heard how the smaller gravity feed smoker plans are coming along?

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » November 10th, 2014, 9:32 pm

Still got other plans in que Tim. Expect to start them in December

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 9th, 2014, 12:25 am

Handicap hand rails make awesome push/pull handles.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » December 9th, 2014, 8:43 am

UPDATE: I'm still a little behind on getting these started. They are next on the list though! :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 11th, 2014, 12:28 am

Those hand rails are nice to use, they are inexpensive and typically stainless steel.

golson
beginner
beginner

Post by golson » December 18th, 2014, 4:52 pm

I just bought the large plans but never started. I wonder if Frank will do any discount for previous purchases of his plans once the small GF plans are online.

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » December 19th, 2014, 9:20 am

Send him a PM and ask

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » December 19th, 2014, 9:53 am

I think these plans are going to be in big demand...especially after a few get built and posted. My larger one burns mostly wood chunk now since I dont need 16 hours of burn time !,, ha

I start with some lump coal the then fill half way with chunk and a piece of lump here and there easily runs 7-9 hours no problem!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 19th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Sweet

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Post by Pennywise » December 22nd, 2014, 7:19 am

Yeah my pops put me in charge of designing his outdoor kitchen at the new lake house he built. I KNOW FOR A FACT I want to make a gravity fed smoker instead of anything else to go into it.

I ran the equations and I can swim and drink 40% more beer with a gravity fed smoker than a stick burner. The decision was made for me.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » December 22nd, 2014, 7:04 pm

Nuff said!!!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators