Gravity Feed Requirements

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
golson
beginner
beginner

Gravity Feed Requirements

Post by golson » November 24th, 2014, 8:23 pm

Hey guys,
I am new here so I like to introduce myself as a fairly new resident to Huntsville Alabama but from San Diego...Big change in deed. So I am kind of new to smoking and being here in the south I better start now....

I like to build a Stumps gravity feed clone. I believe I am sticking with this design for my purpose of smoking venison summer sausage, Jerky, Ribs, Butt, Brisket, Turkey and anything else I can stick in it. My only concern is the height of the inside cooking chamber. Since I will be smoking 20" sausage casings. What is a recommended height of a cooking chamber needed to not get too close to the heat difuser if that is a problem at all....

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Gravity Feed Requirements

Post by Puff » November 24th, 2014, 8:41 pm

With the plans that are here on the site, you won't have a problem with that 20". I guess you'll need to put in a hanger of sorts for the top though. My transfer tube is 33" from the top of the smoker ceiling. And about 14" to the bottom. Actually just finished it and could not be happier with it. Search for Gravity Feed ... If so inclined

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

golson
beginner
beginner

Post by golson » November 24th, 2014, 9:04 pm

Thanks I PM'd frank about plans but no response yet. Was there some detailed plans already here? I searched but no luck.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 24th, 2014, 9:11 pm

There aren't any plans on this site that I know of but there are a few builds that have a lot of pictures. It might take Frank a little while but he will get back with you.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » November 24th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Yep... Big T is right ...I should have stated that the plans are on the sister site smokerplans.net. It's still this site in a way but I fail to separate the different sites.

AND Frank will get back to you. When I was starting my build I did have a few questions and he resolved my situation very nicely. I can see that as the growth swells, he may need to just park himself in front of a phone and computer to work the demands and that's when a fun thing starts to suck. My assessment would be that he just enjoys being in the trenches with a mig torch in has hand or a design pen in the other.

My gravity feed build has been so very successful. I just burned nearly 12 hours on 5 lbs of briquettes half a small bag of Kingsford competition briquettes and about 10 little chunks of oak. I can see near 30 hours on a full chute. I think that is incredible. Of course I have about 80 lbs of insulation in the cooker and frame. I have a few things I will be changing in my next gravity feed but the smoker has exceeded any demands I may have thought I had. In fact I am building a blower controller just for further experimentation. Almost finished with it.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Return to “Smoker Clones”